LW Damir Zhafyarov - Metallurg Novokuznetsk, KHL (2012 undrafted)

Fulcrum

Watching the game between MNK and AK Bars i found this guy and he's playing very well. 1994 born from moscow so he looks like a late bloomer. 9p in 20 games with a +4. I guess he can make the WJC Roster -along with his teammate Slephysev who now is injured-

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=123117

Thoughts on him?

Great start in KHL for him. If he keeps it up he'll make the WJC team.

Wouldn't call him a late bloomer. He's 'blooming' at an early time if anything. It's impressive for a '94 player to play in KHL at all. You can pretty much count them on one hand. He might be like Grigorenko, most people haven't heard of him until his U18 WC, or even until he came over to NA, while he was a major prospect in Russia for a couple of years.

Fulcrum

For the record, his team's site lists him at 5'8", 145 lbs.

I think Eliteprospects.com is more up to date. 5'11'' 174lbs. He definitely does not look 5'8'' on the ice.

Well NHL or not, he might be an excellent KHL player in the future.

Lucky7

Dec 26, 2008
Why we didn't see Zhafyarov on every list for the 2013 NHL Draft ? I think he is better than Ruzal Galeev and Maxim Mamin. He impressed me and I like him. He worth a pick for sure.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He's so great with the puck. And he's scored so far 7 in 29 games on a terrible KHL team. Reminds me Zuccarello a bit.

Last edited:

Lucky7

Dec 26, 2008
Great avatar.
I think simply because he was eligible for the 2012 NHL draft. And anyway he is small by NHL standards.

Yeah, it's always like that. It's bad but anyway, he will be a good KHL player!

By the way, I really like what you're doing Alessandro. I try to follow MHL and KHL the most I can... But it's a little bit hard so sometimes you're article or etc help a lot!

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I've been in love with Zhafyarov since the moment I saw him. I have little doubt he'll end up being better than Slepyshev, who is talked about incomparably more. Smart, skilled, great skater, looks very coachable and he's among the point leaders for Metallurg having played like 10 games less than the most with limited ice time.

If he's lucky to find "his" team and coach, Damir can be a future national team player. Yes, he's really small (I'd say 5'9, 160 at most), but hey, Mathieu Perreault is a small man as well and he doesn't look out of place at all in the NHL.

I can totally see some NHL team risking a low-rounder on him, just like the Bolts with Nikita Gusev in 2012. By the way, Zhafyarov already has much better KHL outcome than Gusev had at that age. And if it doesn't happen, I'm confident bright future is ahead of the kid in Russia.

Go Zhafyarov!

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Not a prospect anymore but what does his game look like now, could it transition to a middle 6 winger in the NHL?

Well, he's been owning the KHL 2nd year in a row, and he soon-to-be 27. I admit, I don't follow him, can't even say, whether he a good skater or not. And with 5'9, 170 lbs, I'm pretty sure, his size doesn't make him too sexy for NHL GMs.

On the other hand, as far as I understand, he's willing to try himself in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason MacIsaac

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He is small and, quite frankly, terrible defensively. But other than that, pretty terrific player. Shifty, elusive, great vision. Very poor man's version of a young Patrick Kane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad