LW Cristoval Nieves (2012, 59th, NYR)

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Where's he playing this year? If I'm not mistaken he was cut by the USNTDP team and might go to the USHL but I can't see him on the Indianna roster. Is he back in Connecticut?

same for Devin Tringale, where's he playing?

Last edited:

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Where's he playing this year? If I'm not mistaken he was cut by the USNTDP team and might go to the USHL but I can't see him on the Indianna roster. Is he back in Connecticut?

same for David Tringale, where's he playing?

Nieves was never a member of the US NTDP.

Hes playing for Kent Prep School.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
wasn't he part of some training camp?

He was once offered a spot outright which he turned down. He was then invited to the camp and was among the first cuts - knowing those who run U17 NDTP can be vindictive snots, I was not surprised.

That said, this player is the proverbial enigma wrapped in a riddle. I've seen him jet around the ice, bull through players, make plays as if his vision was 360degrees and reduce goalies to tears.

I've also seen him float, play soft, myopic and miss the net by 20 feet.

And the ratio is 50/50...

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Tringale is one of the hardest working players up down the ice, great skater and team player with a lot upside. very physical. Committed to Harvard. 1 of the best forwards in NE prep hockey over the last few years.

Harvard wants him as a true Freshman. Have to confess I have only see him play in one tournament and that was over the Summer @ Chowder and he was pretty quiet but the book on him is solid.

crossbardown

Jul 13, 2011
Connecticut
Harvard has him on the website as 2012...so does Heisenberg...

Here is what I found on prep website USHR.com, so it looks more like 2013.

Wed. 2/23/11- Correction: Tringale is going to Harvard in the fall of '13, after a year in juniors.

Tringale Goes Ivy

6’0â€, 185 lb. Lawrence Academy junior LW Devin Tringale has committed to Harvard for the fall of ’12.

A 9/21/93 birthdate from Medford, Mass., Tringale is one of the dozen freshmen that Lawrence head coach Kevin Potter brought in a couple of years ago. A hard-working power forward type who plays on the school's top line with Andrew Cerretani, Tringale is a relentless worker on and off the ice. While he was slowed a bit last month with asthma, and his production tailed off, the basics of his game remained in tact. He’s physical. He takes the body well. He’s strong on his skates. He’s also possibly the best two-way forward in prep hockey, a smart player who can handle all situations.

Being a late ’93, Tringale is not eligible for the draft until ’12. We can see him going in the middle rounds. He’s a sturdy type who does a lot of little things well, and plays a pro-style game to begin with. He could develop well over four years in college.

Brown and BC were the other schools that Tringale was interested in.

In 27 games so far this year, he has a 16-25-41 line.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Here is what I found on prep website USHR.com, so it looks more like 2013.

Wed. 2/23/11- Correction: Tringale is going to Harvard in the fall of '13, after a year in juniors.

Tringale Goes Ivy

6’0”, 185 lb. Lawrence Academy junior LW Devin Tringale has committed to Harvard for the fall of ’12.

A 9/21/93 birthdate from Medford, Mass., Tringale is one of the dozen freshmen that Lawrence head coach Kevin Potter brought in a couple of years ago. A hard-working power forward type who plays on the school's top line with Andrew Cerretani, Tringale is a relentless worker on and off the ice. While he was slowed a bit last month with asthma, and his production tailed off, the basics of his game remained in tact. He’s physical. He takes the body well. He’s strong on his skates. He’s also possibly the best two-way forward in prep hockey, a smart player who can handle all situations.

Being a late ’93, Tringale is not eligible for the draft until ’12. We can see him going in the middle rounds. He’s a sturdy type who does a lot of little things well, and plays a pro-style game to begin with. He could develop well over four years in college.

Brown and BC were the other schools that Tringale was interested in.

In 27 games so far this year, he has a 16-25-41 line.

I can't find the USHL team that owns or owned his rights. He's planning on going the EJ route with JrBruins?

Frankly, if he is going NHL route and with this deep of a draft he's taken a pretty big chance staying in prep. Ditto Bo Nieves...

crossbardown

Jul 13, 2011
Connecticut
I can't find the USHL team that owns or owned his rights. He's planning on going the EJ route with JrBruins?

Frankly, if he is going NHL route and with this deep of a draft he's taken a pretty big chance staying in prep. Ditto Bo Nieves...

not sure what either one of their plans are or why they made the decision to stay in prep, but both are pretty good prospects.

crossbardown

Jul 13, 2011
Connecticut
He was once offered a spot outright which he turned down. He was then invited to the camp and was among the first cuts - knowing those who run U17 NDTP can be vindictive snots, I was not surprised.

That said, this player is the proverbial enigma wrapped in a riddle. I've seen him jet around the ice, bull through players, make plays as if his vision was 360degrees and reduce goalies to tears.

I've also seen him float, play soft, myopic and miss the net by 20 feet.

And the ratio is 50/50...

Where is Nieves playing now? Fall team?

BigBlue11

Sep 10, 2010
League hasn't started yet. He was the only "A" rated player on the NHLCS HS watch list.

He's talking about his fall team, not Kent.

And to answer the question I haven't seen him play but for what it's worth I've heard he looks great from one of his teammates on his fall team.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
He's talking about his fall team, not Kent.

And to answer the question I haven't seen him play but for what it's worth I've heard he looks great from one of his teammates on his fall team.

He's playing half season U18 somewhere or rec league?

Herr has mellowed in allowing his players to play organized hockey prior to the Prep season?

If so...I apologize for passing along my assumption as fact...

BigBlue11

Sep 10, 2010
He's playing half season U18 somewhere or rec league?

Herr has mellowed in allowing his players to play organized hockey prior to the Prep season?

If so...I apologize for passing along my assumption as fact...

I believe he is playing for the CT Wolfpack u18 split season team

I don't know about Herr's policy specifically but it appears that he's letting kids play split season based off Nieves

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
I believe he is playing for the CT Wolfpack u18 split season team

I don't know about Herr's policy specifically but it appears that he's letting kids play split season based off Nieves

U18 at all tiers in NE* is, in general, predominantly mid to lower tier HS players. Elite NE players are usually playing Jr's or Prep. There are exceptions, of course.

That said, IIRC the Wolfpack doesn't run a U18 Midget progam. They do have affiliate Met and AJ teams. There is a CT Jr. Bobcat U18 Indy program that rosters Gunnery players. I could be wrong though. I'm long removed from the NE Youth hockey world.

But you have piqued my curiousity. Let me know if you hear anything else. He's a player of interest.

*NE=Norrtheast

Last edited:

BigBlue11

Sep 10, 2010
U18 at all tiers in NE* is, in general, predominantly mid to lower tier HS players. Elite NE players are usually playing Jr's or Prep. There are exceptions, of course.

That said, IIRC the Wolfpack doesn't run a U18 Midget progam. They do have affiliate Met and AJ teams. There is a CT Jr. Bobcat U18 Indy program that rosters Gunnery players. I could be wrong though. I'm long removed from the NE Youth hockey world.

But you have piqued my curiousity. Let me know if you hear anything else. He's a player of interest.

*NE=Norrtheast

There are a few strong u18 split season teams in CT, Mid Fairfield, Wolfpack, and the Bobcats mainly.

The midget hockey here is pretty much exclusively half season though because of highschool/prep teams.

http://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2011&a=1&v=118

the three CT teams are all in the top 32 in the country along with plenty of other MA teams.

Most of the best prep school hockey players these days are playing for split season Midget programs

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
There are a few strong u18 split season teams in CT, Mid Fairfield, Wolfpack, and the Bobcats mainly.

The midget hockey here is pretty much exclusively half season though because of highschool/prep teams.

http://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2011&a=1&v=118

the three CT teams are all in the top 32 in the country along with plenty of other MA teams.

Most of the best prep school hockey players these days are playing for split season Midget programs

Thanks.

"Strong" being relative I take it? Midget hockey in the NE really is a joke. It's mostly biding time before HS kicks in.

I couldn't find a roster for that team not that I looked very hard but I did see that the Ct Jr. Bobcats are still a Gunnery team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad