LW Cole Ully - Kamloops Blazers, WHL (2013, 131st overall, Dallas)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This guy had to be my favourite prospect from the dub last year besides Josh Morrissey. Now he has taken his play to the next level and is definitely the Blazers best player on a bad rebuilding club.

The guy's talent level is very high, definitely a top 2-3 round player if it wasn't for his body size last season. Now he's up to 5'11 - 170 lbs and should probably play out his WHL eligibility and get stronger in each remaining season.

His strengths
Great stickhandler
See’s the open ice
Good skater
Always uses his stick
Sick release (Had a beyond sick back hand top shelf from the goal line tonight)
Underrated 2-way game.

Honestly, I don't really see any weaknesses in his game besides physicality and body weight.

Looking like a really solid pick by Stars. Reminds me of Jiri Hudler, tough player to get a hit on due to his vision and skating ability.

Lucky7

Dec 26, 2008
Woah, nice ! I'm really happy to hear something like this! I saw his potential last year and that's why I had him 52th!

This year his a positive things for him, like you said, he has stepped his level of play.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
This guy had to be my favourite prospect from the dub last year besides Josh Morrissey. Now he has taken his play to the next level and is definitely the Blazers best player on a bad rebuilding club.

The guy's talent level is very high, definitely a top 2-3 round player if it wasn't for his body size last season. Now he's up to 5'11 - 170 lbs and should probably play out his WHL eligibility and get stronger in each remaining season.

His strengths
Great stickhandler
See’s the open ice
Good skater
Always uses his stick
Sick release (Had a beyond sick back hand top shelf from the goal line tonight)
Underrated 2-way game.

Honestly, I don't really see any weaknesses in his game besides physicality and body weight.

Looking like a really solid pick by Stars. Reminds me of Jiri Hudler, tough player to get a hit on due to his vision and skating ability.

I'll add that he is very mature for his age and is a tenacious worker.

Size is only issue as he has quite a small frame.

Solid prospect for sure.

BillP

Oct 24, 2012
Canada
For those that don't know, Tom Gaglardi is the owner of the Dallas stars and I believe the majority owner of the Kamloops Blazers. May have had some thing to do with the pick as well as Brendan Ranford playing in Texas currently. I also believe Jack Campbell was at the blazers training camp. That said, he was definitely worth a late rounder. Super slick, great vision in the offensive zone. Should be getting pk time with needham due to a good chunk of last years roster gone.

Primetimey*

Nice update on Ully, good post. The thing I like most about him this season is that he is still able to produce and make plays despite playing on a fairly bad team. Will be fun to watch this guy develop over the next few years.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Someone watched that Kamloops-Spokane game from Tuesday night, eh. :sarcasm:

Seriously, though, quite a display by Ully, his team is just dreadful, but he keeps coming back and generating offence on every shift.

Chase Souto looked pretty good, too.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Someone watched that Kamloops-Spokane game from Tuesday night, eh. :sarcasm:

Seriously, though, quite a display by Ully, his team is just dreadful, but he keeps coming back and generating offence on every shift.

Chase Souto looked pretty good, too.

Yup, but I did have him in my top 15 from the WHL for the 2013 draft, Here at #2 post ;)

I agree that Souto also looked pretty damn good as well.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Any of you WHL guys who watch him regularly see some Jeff Skinner in his game? His ability to generate offense for himself and his teammates impresses the heck out of me.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Does anyone here think Ully can make Team Canada in the WJC next year?

I am an idiot when it comes to birthdays and which ones are cut offs and what not. But if he is eligible, the guy is definitely playing his way onto the winter consideration. Don't know if he will make the team because I doubt he can play a bottom 6 role. Injures are also a huge aspect for a player like him to get a shot.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I think he deserves some attention for the WJC. His line in Kamloops has been carrying a very average Blazers team so far this year. He's the engine on that line, too.

Versatile and smart kid that could play anywhere in Team Canada's lineup. Hard to ignore his start.

Hankerchief*

LW - Cole Ully - Kamloops Blazers (2013,131st, Dallas)

Don't know much about this kid but looks like Dallas found a gem in the 5th round. Tied in 1st place with points in the WHL. Does anyone know more about him?

Primetimey*

Last year, Kamloops had 14 wins and 53 losses, terrible team.
Ully managed 72 points, 27 points before his closest teammate.

This year, Kamloops has 18 wins and 25 losses, pretty bad team.
Ully has 61 points, 12 points before his closest teammate.

Somehow Ully manages to produce night after night despite playing on one of the worst WHL teams the past two season. Says a lot about his potential skill level. Where do people see Ully going in the next few years? What is his top end potential?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad