LW Carl Grundstrom (2016, 57th, TOR)

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
I can not see a thread about him, and I do not understand why it is not a thread about him, he is the standout talent coming from sweden in the 2016 draft right now, above Asplund, A Nylander, Dahlen, Moverare, Lindström and Pethrus

He is a late 97 (1th dec 97), he has already played 24 games in SHL and has produced 5 points there.

In superelit top 10, he so far has 17 p and 11 goals in 12 games and so on.

He is a pitbull, always a big force out there, maybe not as flashy as for a example W Nylander, but a force that always gives 100% and do not shy away from heavy traffic, plays very typical canadian. So even if he wouldnt reach his full potential he could still be of good use in a bottom 6 role, but personally I think he will be a lot better than that.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Very impressed by him, such a complete offensive player. It will be interesting to see which of Grundström, Asplund & Nylander goes first in next years draft.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
If I would say anything negative, it would have been that he sometimes is a bit sloppy with the puck controll.

Next year I think he will be a regular top 9 player in MODO senior team. He would probably already have stronger position in the team if Forsberg would still have coach the team.

Btw, if Nylander should be in the race, so should Dahlen, he after all outscored Nylander big time in Superelit Forts

Dec 2, 2010
2nd assist here [credit SHLProspectGIFs]

Many times I've seen him show very good awareness in the offensive zone. Smart player.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Might be even best swedish prospect for this draft. He have always impressed me more than Alex Nylander. Haven't seen Alex this year so it's interesting to see where they stand now.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Might be even best swedish prospect for this draft. He have always impressed me more than Alex Nylander. Haven't seen Alex this year so it's interesting to see where they stand now.

That would be a problem then ;)

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
A spirited and energetic banging winger who off the puck is a nightmare to guard against. Grundstrom is a relentless forechecker who uses his strong build and powerful lower body to frighten defenders into careless mistakes. If there was ever a player to excuse for the constant dump and chase, it’s Grundstrom, whose international resume for Team Sweden is beyond impressive when considering his nation’s lack of elite scoring up front at the junior level. His skill set may resemble that of a grinder, but he’s displayed flash and skill in the limited time he received with MoDo.

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/prospects/draft-profile-carl-grundstrom/

Grundstrom would be higher if he had the ability to finish off the rush, but he's a very good pro prospect with almost two full years of SHL experience. Hopefully the move to Frolunda expands his role, but I see him coming to North America in a year or two. Don't think he has the kind of top-6 upside to earn a first round selection, but going late in the first wouldnt be a bad move for an established team looking for a reliable sure thing.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I expect good things from him next season after a pretty disappointing year. He will play for Frölunda next season, not sure about that move though.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I expect good things from him next season after a pretty disappointing year. He will play for Frölunda next season, not sure about that move though.

To be fair, his SHL season wasn't that bad. He simply didn't play a lot, and he was really good at a handful of tournaments.

Frolunda's a good program but I think top-6 mins in the AHL will be better for his development.

Shyguy

Mar 20, 2010
To be fair, his SHL season wasn't that bad. He simply didn't play a lot, and he was really good at a handful of tournaments.

Frolunda's a good program but I think top-6 mins in the AHL will be better for his development.

Probably correct. As his style of play resembles NHL more than traditional Swedish hockey. Could see him possibly going the CHL route because of that.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014

I do not know what you expected, he produce a lot more than Eriksson Ek did during his draft year. His production is very good. Did you expect him to produce like Bäckström or something? He is not on that level, but he is a solid pick in the mid or late 1th round.

The only little bit disapointing about his season is his WJC 20 tournament.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Guess he "slipped" a little bit towards the end of the 2nd round. Wonder if the Leafs have him transition to the AHL next season, if the playing time isn't there with Frolunda.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Sounds like he fits that Marchand/Gallagher/Komarov mold.

Always a good kind of player to have. Wingers that can move up and down 4 lines while bringing physicality and a scoring touch are good in my book

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Will he be a 1st liner at the World Juniors this year or is he a 2nd liner on that team?

I can't say I'm too familiar with the current depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad