LW/C Vladimir Bobylyov - Spartak Moscow, KHL (2016, 122nd, TOR)

whlscowt

This entire Royals team is so hard to get a read on. There are so many good overlooked forwards, that you start to wonder if it's their system, or if Lowry is some kind of player whisperer (he did some real magic with the Hitmen, just look at Brett Sonne who went from a 20 point season to WHL player of the year). Forsberg, Soy, Hannoun, Walker, and Bobylov all could get drafted but outside of Walker (who's very small) I can't see the results being likely. Bob to me has some of the package, but he might not be a complete enough player. He doesn't backcheck particularly well and while he does have good speed, he dogs it sometimes. He probably has the skill level to be taken in the 6th-7th round, but I think as a draft+1, from this Lowry system, surrounded by these good WHL players, he'll be overlooked at the draft.

AstoriaIceNinja

Feb 29, 2016
Astoria, NY (USA)
It probably doesn't help that he is posting the numbers he is as an overager, at which point bigger offensive numbers are something of an expectation. Vladdy's numbers, while impressive on the face of it, haven't bridged the point-per-game plateau, so he would probably only get looks as a project or energy player (which it seems is not exactly his forte either).

He's got size and some tools, but seems trapped in the limbo of being a good scorer in juniors while not being dominant enough for folks to see it can translate to the pro level. Not gonna compare them as individual players, but the situation he is in reminds me of Alexander Delnov, another WHL alum who was picked in the 4th round by Florida in 2012. FWIW, Delnov saw out his Dub career and now plays in Russia, primarily in the VHL.

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
Has improved a lot but zero chance he gets drafted. Good camp invite guy tho.

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
Really? He's having a really good season, I'd say someone will throw a late round pick at him

Like I said, good player who plays hard and has improved a lot...I just don't see him being worth drafting. Has spent a lot of time on a line with Walker and Soy this season and that has inflated his numbers. But, NHL teams still love guys in his mold so we'll see.

I just think he's the kind of guy you could sign as a free agent later down the road after inviting him to camp instead of using a pick on him. I think at his peak he's nothing more than a 4th line NHL guy.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It probably doesn't help that he is posting the numbers he is as an overager, at which point bigger offensive numbers are something of an expectation. Vladdy's numbers, while impressive on the face of it, haven't bridged the point-per-game plateau, so he would probably only get looks as a project or energy player (which it seems is not exactly his forte either).

He's got size and some tools, but seems trapped in the limbo of being a good scorer in juniors while not being dominant enough for folks to see it can translate to the pro level. Not gonna compare them as individual players, but the situation he is in reminds me of Alexander Delnov, another WHL alum who was picked in the 4th round by Florida in 2012. FWIW, Delnov saw out his Dub career and now plays in Russia, primarily in the VHL.

Looking at the 2015 draft, it doesn't look like very many of the whl drafted players produced more than a point per game in their +1 year. certainly not a lot more than bobylyov. Once you factor in his size 6'2 and the fact that he's pretty tough, you have to think that the odds were certainly in his favour to being drafted, especially given his improvement in points (he says he played mostly 4th line last year). in the 4 point night video, he showed speed, size/strength, a good one timer and the ability to pass the puck. I'm not saying he's gonna be an nhl player, but pretty good set of tools. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something, sure I never watched him live, but from those few videos posted and his statistics (in comparison to those drafted in 20-5).. I'd expect that he definitely would be drafted this time around/without a doubt.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Dang, wanted to catch him in some Royals games this season

For the stat chasers, he put up 32 points in his last 20 regular season games, with at least a point in 17 of those 20 games.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
leafs taking russians this year, no fear they stay there and make money just as good with less games?

Yeah, I think the idea is that they get their experience in against men while earning a pay check.

Guys like Korshkov, Chebykin and now Bobylev will be in the KHL playing against men on a HARD travelling schedule. That'll wear you down and turn you into men real quick. There isn't enough said about how hard transitioning to the NHL schedule can be, but KHL players should have an easier transition than CHL/NCAA players. Even a guy like Grundström will be playing against men and travelling a bit in the SHL with Frölunda. It pays off.

The only thing that kind of hurts us with Bobylev is that he has 2 years to sign as oppose to 4 since he was drafted out of Victoria in the WHL. I think I heard something (might even be in this thread) that he could get an indefinite amount of years due to being "defected"? idk :laugh:

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
Yeah, I think the idea is that they get their experience in against men while earning a pay check.

Guys like Korshkov, Chebykin and now Bobylev will be in the KHL playing against men on a HARD travelling schedule. That'll wear you down and turn you into men real quick. There isn't enough said about how hard transitioning to the NHL schedule can be, but KHL players should have an easier transition than CHL/NCAA players. Even a guy like Grundström will be playing against men and travelling a bit in the SHL with Frölunda. It pays off.

The only thing that kind of hurts us with Bobylev is that he has 2 years to sign as oppose to 4 since he was drafted out of Victoria in the WHL. I think I heard something (might even be in this thread) that he could get an indefinite amount of years due to being "defected"? idk :laugh:

Isn't Bobylev playing in the WHL next year?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Bobylyov was released by Spartak. He scored just 1 goal in 20 games and was +1. It looks like WHL-to-KHL transition didn't work for him.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Bobylyov was released by Spartak. He scored just 1 goal in 20 games and was +1. It looks like WHL-to-KHL transition didn't work for him.

The Russia to CHL transition didm't work for him like for so many before him. Stupid kid.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
The Russia to CHL transition didm't work for him like for so many before him. Stupid kid.
He wasn't known as top prospect or something.

He scored just 1 goal in 20 games and was +1
His teammate Nikita Li scored nothing in 26 games and still was invited by Bragin to the U20 team.
I mean there is not so many 19 years old guys playing major roles in the KHL teams. Only ten U20 guys collected more points than Bobylev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad