LW/C MacAuley Carson - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2017 undrafted)

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Very intriguing prospect. He started off being a winger but he's slowly being groomed into a center, he's great defensively and on faceoffs. He's a strong kid with a great shot and very good hockey sense, good PK'er too. Most of his production is 5v5.

I could see alot of teams taking a liking to him, he's a real character kid and he's very versatile. He's a goal scorer, has good 2 way play and is physically mature. Don't think it'll take much time for him to turn pro and make an impact.

Personally i see him as an early 2nd pick right now, although no ones really taking about him. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being a 1st rounder.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=286889

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Early 2nd seems like a big reach, i wouldn't be thrilled if NYR picked him before the 4th round honestly.
Decent 5v5 pace even though it's far from special, you say he's a goalscorer, if that's true then his shot rate is very alarming to me.

Here are his trends for reference: http://imgur.com/a/nhxhz (how do i embedd a picture?)

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
Nice to see Carson getting some love! He's been great for us and he's constantly improving. Weirdly enough he reminds me a lot of Alyn McCauley style wise. Late 2nd early 3rd would be my assumption

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I really like Carson as a player and as a prospect, but a late first or even 2nd rounder he is not.

Hard nosed kid who has taken well to the center position this year, but I don't think his future is at that position. You mentioned him being a good faceoff man, but he's definitely struggled on the draw this year (he's at around 46 percent). He has some good hands in close and does well working the cycle and getting after it on the forecheck. His future is on the wing.

His skating is definitely his biggest weakness and that's held back his draft position all year.

I think he's a round 3-5 guy at this point.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I seem to be higher on players like Gadjovich and Carson more than others. Personally i dont see that much of a gap between Strome and Carson, especially when you consider that Carson could end up turning into a center.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
6th in EP1/60 in OHL draft class behind only Suzuki, Tippett, Lodnia, Gadjovich and Vilardi. Ahead of Thomas, Strome, Robertson, Frost.

Also, 3rd in Rel GF%.

Interesting prospect.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Makes you wonder, had Sudbury teammate David Levin been eligible for the draft this season would he have gone undrafted as well?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I guess his skating was too big of a red flag, both him and Minulin were huge non drafts for me. I had Minulin #87 and Carson #53 on my final list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad