LW/C Jonathan Dahlen (2016, 42nd, OTT; traded to VAN; traded to SJS)

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC
But realistically what are the projections for Dahlen? Top 6 winger?

"An offensively very skilled player. Dahlén is a good scorer and playmaker and quite shifty with fine technical skills and overall offensive awareness. Furthermore, an agile and creative player with great character. Skating might look suspicious at times, in some ways quite comparable to father Ulf's, but he reaches good speed and and has impressive edge work. Good work ethic and a capable two-way player."

Guess we could assign him to Horvat's skating coach <3

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
fc2c1d26_mw_387.jpg

(dropping the mick)

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
But realistically what are the projections for Dahlen? Top 6 winger?

"An offensively very skilled player. Dahlén is a good scorer and playmaker and quite shifty with fine technical skills and overall offensive awareness. Furthermore, an agile and creative player with great character. Skating might look suspicious at times, in some ways quite comparable to father Ulf's, but he reaches good speed and and has impressive edge work. Good work ethic and a capable two-way player."

Guess we could assign him to Horvat's skating coach <3

Yeah top 6 seems reasonable.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I keep seeing that his skating is questionable but when I see youtube vids of him his skating looks great. I know youtube isn't a good way to scout, but it's not a bad way to analyze a players skating.

Is "poor skater" a label he was given a while ago but can't shake it, even though it isn't true?

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
I keep seeing that his skating is questionable but when I see youtube vids of him his skating looks great. I know youtube isn't a good way to scout, but it's not a bad way to analyze a players skating.

Is "poor skater" a label he was given a while ago but can't shake it, even though it isn't true?

From what I've read it's less a question of him being a poor skater and more a question of him having an awkward stride.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Can anybody from Sweden who watches Timra on a semi regular basis tell us what Dahlen's and Elias Petterssons chemistry is like? How well do they play with each other? Is there something special there or is just kinda normal between two good players? Pettersson will most likely be available when the Canucks pick

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
Can anybody from Sweden who watches Timra on a semi regular basis tell us what Dahlen's and Elias Petterssons chemistry is like? How well do they play with each other? Is there something special there or is just kinda normal between two good players? Pettersson will most likely be available when the Canucks pick

Just two talented players that have found chemistry with each other. If you are looking for the next set of twins to carry the franchise, they're likely not the ones.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Dahlen's skating is in question because it looks awkward. He's not the best in straight line skating, but his edgework and agility is very impressive

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
This in combination with a slow first couple of steps.

Likely to be a good NHLer in 3-4 years.

From what I've seen he's got a good first few steps. It's the steps after that, that could be considered an "issue". If he improved his stride he could be a faster straight line skater.

Dahlen uses his quick strides to get in front of the net. Seen it quite a few times for Timrå this season. He stands still and then boom hes infront of the goal and the puck is in the net.

If we are going to critique him on anything it would be his skating technique. Good agility, good first few steps, shifty. He just needs to get "drilled" into skating more efficiently. I don't think that's something that's unattainable especially with big Uffe Dahlen as your dad/advisor.

The thing that will keep him from making it to the NHL isn't his skating, it's his size. He's a skinny dude right now and needs to build muscle to be able to handle the physical play.

Perhaps i'm biased because he's from my hometown but he's been one of my favorite prospects outside of the Canucks organization and am still quite shocked he's apart of it now. He's not ready yet but I would be really surprised if he isn't atleast in serious contention for a NHL job in 2 years time. Another year in Sweden, a year in the AHL, and he should be ready to knock down that door and take the gig.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He's been on fire since the WJC... dynamic player that can score.

Could have been a late first last year and would be a first for sure this year so .. Canucks made a very good deal.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I have a gut feeling that Timothy Liljegren will fall, and he played some games for Timra IK as well this season, so they are probably familiar with each other.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
can't help feeling that we just added a 1st round picked prospect into our arsenal.

well done benning. TSN didn't talk much about this trade which means it was a good trade for Vancouver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad