LW/C Jonathan Dahlen (2016, 42nd, OTT; traded to VAN; traded to SJS)

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He doesn't want to leave his comfort zone or challenge himself at a higher league. He doesn't need to anyways, he comes from a wealthy family.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I know everyone here is conditioned to think of players as assets that should do everything to increase their value to the organization.. but I gotta say, from a human perspective, I don't blame him at all. Guy makes a very good living tearing shit up for a hometown team he's probably always dreamed of playing for.

Hockey hates contentment, but I don't blame him one bit. That sounds like a pretty damn good existence to me.

Jeremy Hronek

Aug 18, 2009
chilliwack , bc
I know everyone here is conditioned to think of players as assets that should do everything to increase their value to the organization.. but I gotta say, from a human perspective, I don't blame him at all. Guy makes a very good living tearing shit up for a hometown team he's probably always dreamed of playing for.

Hockey hates contentment, but I don't blame him one bit. That sounds like a pretty damn good existence to me.
He makes a good living playing Swedish second division?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I find the character assassination attempts at this player, for staying in Sweden during a pandemic influenced season and getting his 2nd division hometown club promoted to the top league in Swedish Hockey honourable.

I don't believe he's ever said he plans on staying with Timra beyond this season and last I checked they're tops in the league and well on their way to promotion.

Stuff like this used to be applauded and celebrated. THe "rich kid" stuff is BS.

Most of these top prospects and NHL players we adore aren't exactly coming from slums....

Last edited:

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
I find the character assassination attempts at this player, for staying in Sweden during a pandemic influenced season and getting his 2nd division hometown club promoted to the top league in Swedish Hockey honourable.

I don't believe he's ever said he plans on staying with Timra beyond this season and last I checked they're tops in the league and well on their way to promotion.

Stuff like this used to be applauded and celebrated. THe "rich kid" stuff is BS.

Most of these top prospects and NHL players we adore aren't exactly coming from slums....
So true, its a not so subtle jab at Euro's.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

Rich kid stuff aside, I'd say it's fair to raise the inference that he may prefer to be a big fish in a small pond.

That being said, he could well be the next Soderberg and still have a productive career.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

It's not that. He played a season in the AHL, it wasn't a great season and went back to a league in which he was already a PPG player. That was prior to the pandemic.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
All he needs to do is come over, go on an AHL hot streak, and then he'll get a crack. Idk what the hold-up would be at this stage in his career. Now or never.

Reactions: themelkman

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
All he needs to do is come over, go on an AHL hot streak, and then he'll get a crack. Idk what the hold-up would be at this stage in his career. Now or never.
He's not able to come back to the NHL this season as he didn't sign his qualifying offer by the deadline. I could maybe see him signing a try-out contract with the Cuda (AHL) if that's a possibility.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Believe it was stated last summer that he and others stayed with Timra to get the club back to the top division.

Hard to make judgments during what has been a tumultuous year around the globe.

Sadly, that has never been a problem for some on these boards.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Clearly some here dont understand Swedish hockeyclubs at all. Some players will never change club. He has a chance to get them to SHL. If he su ccede he got the chance to win in SHL. I belive he will take that chance too. And maby then go to NHL direct.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Clearly some here dont understand Swedish hockeyclubs at all. Some players will never change club. He has a chance to get them to SHL. If he su ccede he got the chance to win in SHL. I belive he will take that chance too. And maby then go to NHL direct.
If he doesnt come over next year he shouldnt come over at all. Its time to show hes ready to progress his career. Everyone knows he can play SHL

Reactions: Sandisfan

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I mean, even if Dahlen never comes over again, I guess you can't really blame him.

In a time of great uncertainty, he has the chance to play for the top club in his hometown, be the best player in the league, and still make a very good living.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
The last two years in Sweden have been entirely understandable from a development perspective.

Dahlen had a disappointing 18-19 in the AHL, and the Barracuda had a wealth of forwards for 19-20, so he went back to Sweden with the Sharks' blessing to regain his confidence and have consistent playing time.

Then a crippling global pandemic reared its head. There was no guarantee there would be AHL hockey, or even NHL hockey, in September. So, because the Allsvenskan was going to play, Dahlen stayed put, guaranteed that he'd get plenty of playing time (barring a shutdown of his league). Had we avoided Covid entirely, the story would probably be different, but staying in Sweden another year was better for Dahlen's development than getting no playing time.

However, it's now do or die time. Dahlen has utterly dominated the Allsvenskan for two years, will be 24 years old in December, and needs to make the decision whether to come back to North America and fight for a spot in the NHL that he will have every opportunity to win, or stay in Sweden for the foreseeable future.

I don't think we can conclusively say that, because he stayed in Sweden, he's never coming back here. Had he stayed without Covid throwing a toolbox into the machine, then I think we could say that.

Reactions: themelkman

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With Dahlen, the issue has always been 'skating'. He's one of those players who thrives with the time and space on the bigger ice. But in N.A., where you have to gain separation with near elite level skating or winning puck battles, he basically disappeared.

I suppose with expansion and the stagnant salary cap, there's a chance he returns on a cheap contract. But more likely he just stays at home.

Reactions: Johnny Danger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad