LW/C Colton Dach - Saskatoon Blades, WHL (2021, 62nd, CHI)

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
Wow, what and exiting prospect, already one of my favourites in this draft! (please Jarmo).

Pretty noteworthy performances lately as is his whole second half of season! Listened as C prospect and ranked around 70th pick but i can definitely see him gone at around 70. Looks very promosing...6'4" hard to play againts C with already quite a lot interesting all-around attacking skillset and constantly improving defensive quality, followed by kind of nasty edge in his game, is able to get under opponent's skin or drop gloves when needed, style comparison with Ryan Getzlaf looks accurate to me.

I see him as a potential riser and it will not surprise me if he will be taken in late first or at start of second round and eventually end up to be the steal of this draft in couple years.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Wow, what and exiting prospect, already one of my favourites in this draft! (please Jarmo).

Pretty noteworthy performances lately as is his whole second half of season! Listened as C prospect and ranked around 70th pick but i can definitely see him gone at around 70. Looks very promosing...6'4" hard to play againts C with already quite a lot interesting all-around attacking skillset and constantly improving defensive quality, followed by kind of nasty edge in his game, is able to get under opponent's skin or drop gloves when needed, style comparison with Ryan Getzlaf looks accurate to me.

I see him as a potential riser and it will not surprise me if he will be taken in late first or at start of second round and eventually end up to be the steal of this draft in couple years.

Man, I've been drafting him at 60 or whatever on draft sims, and feeling good about t.
Now, you're making me feel like the Wings should use that Washington first on Dach.

Reactions: Christien

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
Man, I've been drafting him at 60 or whatever on draft sims, and feeling good about t.
Now, you're making me feel like the Wings should use that Washington first on Dach.
Well im kinda hoping he will be still available when Columbus will be drafting via Maple Leafs or Lighting first, but as we all know Jarmo and how much he loves going of board and if he eventuelly likes him a lot, i may be ok with taking him in TOP10, its quite a reach but i dont see him any worse comparing him to other big C draft reaches as Johansen or Scheifele in their respective draft year

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Colton has a lot of Kirby in him, they play very similar

They do play very similar but where I think Kirby ends up that 60ish point, defensively responsible 1C I think Colton ends up a more typical 3rd line grinder that has some ability to play up in the top 6 sometimes. He has good instincts but his stick skills need to improve on his puck protection from what I've seen. I think he could end up either a Nick Foligno or Nick Foligno-lite.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They do play very similar but where I think Kirby ends up that 60ish point, defensively responsible 1C I think Colton ends up a more typical 3rd line grinder that has some ability to play up in the top 6 sometimes. He has good instincts but his stick skills need to improve on his puck protection from what I've seen. I think he could end up either a Nick Foligno or Nick Foligno-lite.

Foligno was always a much better skater though. There's room for Colton to have better puck skills.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Foligno was always a much better skater though. There's room for Colton to have better puck skills.

Colton isn’t a terrible skater and is probably at the same talent level that Foligno was in his draft year. Plus Foligno was a guy that was considered a minor reach at the time. Dach might end up the same as a late 1st/early 2nd.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The younger brother of Chicago Blackhawks centre, and 2019 third overall draft pick, Kirby Dach, Colton Dach was taken by the Saskatoon Blades with the sixth overall pick in the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft. He continued to play midget hockey with the Fort Saskatchewan Rangers in 2018-10. Dach scored 16 goals and 12 assists for 28 points in 32 games He also scored three goals and seven points in eight games. He led the team to the Mac’s Tournament, where he put up two goals and four assists for six points in four games. Dach also represented Team Alberta at the Canada Winter Games in 2018-19. He put up three goals and three assists for six points in six games and helped the team to win the bronze medal.

In 2019-20 Dach made his WHL debut. He had a solid rookie season with 11 goals and 18 assists for 29 points in 62 games before the COVID-19 Pandemic cut the season short. Dach was even better this season. He played in 20 games for Saskatoon, putting up 11 goals and nine assists for 20 points. Dach has shown versatility over his time with the Blades, playing both left-wing and centre.

2021 NHL Draft #74: Colton Dach Scouting Report

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Anyone else find it a tad strange that Dach requested a trade the day after being selected by Chicago? I'm not familiar with his usage or the current state of Saskatoon, but one would think if the organization was quality enough to develop his brother into a 3rd overall pick (who could play in the NHL and contribute at 18) and himself into a 2nd round pick, that a trade wouldn't be necessary. Its even more odd considering he was drafted by the same NHL team as his brother, and they would have insight into how Kirby was developed. Perhaps personal or some other factors at play?

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
So how’s he’s looked so far? Stat sheet watching he seems off to a good start but would love to hear from someone who’s watched him play. I was a big fan of his going into the draft.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
2 goals tonight vs Kamloops - after 1 period.

GPGAPTS+/-PIMPPGSHGSOGFOW

He and his brother are big boys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad