LW Brett Pollock - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2014, 45th, DAL; 2016 trade CGY)

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
7878327.jpg

Birthyear: 1996-03-16
Birthplace: Sherwood Park, AB
Position: C/LW
Shoots: R
Height: 188 cm / 6'2"
Weight: 83 kg / 183 lbs

2013-2014 Stats
[table="head] |GP|G|A|Pts|PIM|+/-
Regular Season|71|25|30|55|36|18
Playoffs|14|10|7|17|4|12
[/table]

"Pollock was the victim of limited fourth line duty in his first season with the Oil Kings. However, he wasn’t going to let that keep him down, as he has a new found confidence that has been born of and helped keep him as a top six player this season.

Working hard for it, Pollock plays a strong two way game and isn’t afraid to shake things up. And with a good shot, and vision to boot, the young center’s stock should continue to rise."

Last edited:

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
He's been killing it in the playoffs. He had a nice goal coming off the cycle, power moved and pretty much dragged a MH defender all over him before batting it in out of mid air.

The pucks seem to find him in dangerous areas and he finishes his checks.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Would like to see the Oilers grab a 2nd and take him.

Similar to a player they grabbed a couple of years ago in Moroz, but Pollock does have a higher skillset. I think he'll go in the top 45, pretty good value after that. If the Avs had a second rounder I would have this kid on my very short list for that spot of the draft.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Islanders love having players with similar names(Strait and Streit, MacDonald and McDonald, Nielsen, Nelson and Nilsson) on the roster so they might grab him(Pollock and Pulock)

My guess though with the playoffs he is having he will sneak into the bottom half of the first round.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
They are both big but besides that they are not similar at all.

Pollock isn't physical at all. Not a bruiser like Moroz.

Pollock is much more of skilled player.

Never said they were that comparable, just somewhat similar. Bigger guys, both coming from the Oil Kings, both aren't afraid to drop the mitts. The obvious biggest difference is that Pollock also has a scorers touch around the net.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Would love to get this kid. Too bad we don't have a 2nd...or a 3rd. Anyone want to trade us? You can have...Joensuu :sarcasm:

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Never said they were that comparable, just somewhat similar. Bigger guys, both coming from the Oil Kings, both aren't afraid to drop the mitts. The obvious biggest difference is that Pollock also has a scorers touch around the net.

Also Pollock actually has plus skating unlike Moroz who will struggle to get around the ice at the next level. Nice prospect here but he is definitely a bit raw still, he has benefitted big time by playing on what IMO is the Oil Kings first line with Kulda and Lazar. Hats off to him though for locking down that spot and thriving in it, something Moroz was not able to do even in the year after he got drafted. Pollock still battles the consistency of bringing it every single night, but when he's on he is great to watch with his blend of skating, size and the release on his shot. He is still very skinny as well, when he is able to put on 20 more lbs it will help his game a ton even though he isn't the most physical player.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Sort of disagree with you Mr. Anthony. I thought Pollock has looked fairly good, definitely see how some Dub followers have him as a 2nd rounder. Even I am warming up to that idea as well, and I'm tough to crack for players who come out of no where during their eligibility draft year. He has all the things you expect to like from a solid prospect. He's big, he's a smooth skater, he's got great hands, he's got a good shot, and he has fairly good vision.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
I've got him 7th for my WHL rankings (Should put them up sometime this week). My biggest concern about his game is his consistency of effort from night-to-night, even shift-to-shift. When he's dialed-in, ready-to-go, there's little he can't do: bowl over an opponent, stickhandle the puck between his own legs, go top shelf, break up an opposing scoring rush. But, other times, I'll watch him shy away from contact, make a bad pass, or wave his stick half-heartedly at a puck carrier. It's not a huge deal, I mean, it's not like he'll disappear for several games, sometimes it's only a couple shifts, and I think it's correctable, but it's my main concern with him. I wouldn't hesitate to take him in the first round, either. He's been great in the playoffs, but he's been playing at a very high level all year, so it's not like his success is entirely due to a hot-streak or playing with the surging Edgars Kulda.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Sort of disagree with you Mr. Anthony. I thought Pollock has looked fairly good, definitely see how some Dub followers have him as a 2nd rounder. Even I am warming up to that idea as well, and I'm tough to crack for players who come out of no where during their eligibility draft year. He has all the things you expect to like from a solid prospect. He's big, he's a smooth skater, he's got great hands, he's got a good shot, and he has fairly good vision.

When he is on, he is much much better.

I mean he is all over the place when he is on. Skating hard, taking pucks to the net, scoring goals... He is a player that can completely take over a game.

Kind of inconsistent though.

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
He was an absolute beast in the first three rounds of the WHL playoffs, then cooled off significantly in the final. Definitely an intriuging package with his size and hands.

Oct 15, 2008
Similar to a player they grabbed a couple of years ago in Moroz, but Pollock does have a higher skillset. I think he'll go in the top 45, pretty good value after that. If the Avs had a second rounder I would have this kid on my very short list for that spot of the draft.

I dont see the connection at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad