LW Boris Katchouk - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, OHL (2016, 44th, TBL)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
So just stumbled across this guy when looking through some stats. Russian-sounding name but afaik he's a dual-citizen, seems to have been born in Canada. Anyway, he's tied (with another draft-eligible in Tim Gettinger) for 3rd in scoring on the Greyhounds with 13 points in 16 games and one of few players on the team with a positive +/- rating. He's only 1 point back of Zachary Senyshyn and 2 points back of Blake Speers, having played 2 fewer games.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=269859

He's a left winger listed at 6'1, 179lbs. He's in his first full OHL season, having only played 12 games on a stacked Soo team last year. Excerpt from http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2015/10/early-season-top-30-for-2016-nhl-entry.html below.

Brock said:
Hard nosed, North/South type of winger who excels in driving the net and working to win battles along the wall. Katchouk has also shown a pretty good hockey IQ thus far and has excelled playing in a scoring line role, opening up space for guys like Zach Senyshyn to operate. Katchouk has also shown himself to be a physical player who brings energy on the forecheck. Has already been suspended this year for starting a 2nd fight (at the time of another). Does remain to be seen how high his offensive potential is though.

Sounds like a mid-round pick with potential to climb higher if he can keep up his production (maybe this years Senyshyn?), but I have never seen him play and does not have much time to watch junior hockey at all right now, so would love if some Soo fans or anyone else who has seen him play could chime in on this guy.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Ranked #65 on Craig Button's november rankings. I guess the kid has some traction!

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
A prospect that I really like. Plays a heavy game. Tough on the forecheck. Not sure how much offense he will produce at the next level, but definitely a valuable contributor. Probably a 3rd liner at the next level IMO.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
A prospect that I really like. Plays a heavy game. Tough on the forecheck. Not sure how much offense he will produce at the next level, but definitely a valuable contributor. Probably a 3rd liner at the next level IMO.

Agreed. I think a 2nd/3rd line tweener is a realistic projection. It's his first full OHL season and he has been doing very well and outplayed both Kopacka and Gettinger as far as I can tell. Hopefully he can build on that next year and take another step forward. He has a lot of qualities that I like.

PSems

Apr 6, 2016
Here's a bit about Boris Katchouk

Ok… so here is the story of BK…

So I’ve known Boris since him, his brothers and I were playing 2v2 mini-sticks in their concrete basement back in St. Catharines, Ontario. I’m 28 years old so you can imagine what playing with 3 drastically older kids (him being 3-5 years old and his brothers 2 and 4 years older), could do to your stick game and especially toughness. And to say the least, the kids hard-nosed fearless style of play started down there, he was always fearless!

From the dungeon rumbles, you could see this kid had a high level of natural athleticism (makes sense having a mom who was a speed skating Olympian in the Calgary games and his dad as her coach). His knack for holding a twig reaaal early, whether it be a hockey or lacrosse stick, was purely natural.

I’ve always seen his skill-set and true potential, but always wondered whether he would have the internal drive to push himself to become an elite athlete. The one thing about Boris if you know him well, is his calmness, poise and ability to brush away nonsense all while smiling from ear to ear… the kid LOVES to play. This calmness stemmed from his complacency with his skill set growing up, in other words, he knew he was much better than any kids he played with in all sports growing up so he sometimes would not try as hard. Let’s just say, he found his drive and determination…

When he was real young growing up, he played soccer for a couple of seasons, and he would score 5-10 goals every game. He then fell in love with lacrosse, and boy, if hockey didn’t snatch him up, he would be one of, if not the top prospect for lacrosse right now. The one thing that most fans or scouts don’t truly realize is the potential this kid has with his hands, and this was groomed through lacrosse. The ironic part about the kid (for how much he loved to play mini-sticks, soccer, lacrosse), the first time he slapped on the blades and we went skating in Merriton Arena (in St. Catharines), he cried and cried and cried and CRIED! And didn’t want anything to do with skating for the first 45 minutes. But once he started to lose the fear (which was rare in this child) and started to have a couple of glides, the tears turned into a chuckle and a grin. The GRIN you see ever so often when you watch him compete.

A really good summary of Boris and his style of play was written by The Hockey Writers:
http://thehockeywriters.com/boris-katchouk-the-next-ones-nhl-2016-draft-prospect-profile/

I agree with pretty much everything from the article, the only two things I disagree with or just feel the writer hasn’t truly seen all of Boris’ potential is in regards to his skillset with the puck and his transition into becoming an NHL offensive production player.

In the article they discuss that his skillset is not his strong point, yet his hockey sense is phenomenal and exponentially getting better game to game. His ability to read plays and steal the puck, sometimes reminds me of my other favourite Russian player Magic Man. If you watch enough tape on Boris, you will realize he steals the puck, intercepts passes in the neutral zone, and breaks up passes in front of his own net better than most in the OHL. This all comes from his awareness of where he is on the ice and where he anticipates the puck will be going. On that note, I will say sometimes I do not like his positioning on offensive break outs and believe he needs the most work in this area. Once the puck is on the offensive zone, there is no one better on the boards with the puck than Boris on Soo. His compete level is very high and he will make you feel the pain if you try to hold the puck.

He is also very disciplined and rarely takes unnecessary penalties. Let’s not forget that this kid can drop the mitts and take a punch. Last year I was at the Guelph game with his brothers cheering frantically and insanely when he knocked off the visor of Noah Carroll and continued to pummel him with hooks. During his stint for Soo Thunderbirds last year, he also had a tussle with a brute of a grown man and won that fight as well, exchanging good shots. Sure he got knocked out by Connor Brown in the final week of the season, both throwing haymakers with Connor connecting a haymaker. But lets not forget that Brown is an overager, a bonified fighter with 11 fights this year alone, and the kid held his own falling to his knees and then getting right back up before getting his orbital bone broken with a massive right hook.

Oh ya, that’s right, he has helped lead Soo to a huge upset win in 7 games over Sarnia with a broken face essentially!

Although I can understand where the hockey writers are coming from in terms of his ability to transition to an offensive product in the NHL, I believe Boris has an exponentially high ceiling level with his finishing ability, and with the proper coaching could turn into a very, very good play maker and part time sniper. His ability to read a play with the puck and make a no look pass right on the stick to his team mates is what most stands out for me. Sure this play is dangerous sometimes, but he rarely ever makes a mistake with it, and if he does he hussles his ASS off to get the puck back. This was highlighted ever so clearly in game 7 when he made an errand no look pass into the left corner of Sarnia’s zone only to give it away to the defenseman waiting for it. What did he do right after though? Well he stopped the defensemen at the blue line, made a nifty move to evade the stick of a defense and saucered a beaaaauty pass to Bobby Mac right on his tape to take the 2-1 lead… which was huuuuuge for turning the game around as Sarnia was pressing very hard for the previous 5 minutes. This goal helped to deflate Sarnia a bit, and well the rest of what unfolded is history.

If you want to watch some video of the kid, here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzC3wNrWZyz06ZNvKpQX7Fw

I will be making another video of all of his goals and assists from the 2nd half of the season soon. I am just a bit too busy with playoffs right now and praying for my Red Wings to make it a quarter of a century!
:yo::yo::yo:

Last edited:

PSems

Apr 6, 2016
Well put

Agreed. I think a 2nd/3rd line tweener is a realistic projection. It's his first full OHL season and he has been doing very well and outplayed both Kopacka and Gettinger as far as I can tell. Hopefully he can build on that next year and take another step forward. He has a lot of qualities that I like.

I agree with this as well, starting on 3rd and becoming a bonified 2nd liner with underestimating skill.
Being a die hard Red Wings fan, I'd have to compare him most to Abdelkador mixed with Alexander Steen and a bit of Rick Nash. Abdelkador work ethic and hard nosed play. Steen's skillset mixed in with hard work along the boards. Rick Nash's knack for crashing the net haaaard whether it be a wrap around or just full frontal attack.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
He's rising. Ranked #25 on HockeyProspect's latest rankings http://www.hockeyprospect.com/2016-nhl-draft-hockeyprospect-com-january-top-60/

Only watched him once but really liked what I saw. Speedy, hard-working player who can put up some points. 4th in scoring on the Greyhounds with 35 points in 43 games. Pretty good for a guy with his skillset.

Good player. Slipped out of our first round on our last list after a some so-so viewings between December and late Feb.

I've seen him quite a bit since. He was good last night.

Ingy

Apr 10, 2016
Hidden Gem

I live in Sault Ste. Marie
I've been to about 15 home reg season games
Haven't missed a playoff game.

He is a complete package. He has the ability too work corners/create space/and finish. Size isn't an issue, and has really nice hands.
Tenacious player, he's currently wearing a full cage because he's not afraid to drop the gloves. (I'm pretty sure he just broke his nose)

I enjoy watching this player play a lot more than Spears, and Senychyn. Both are only good with the puck.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Who is the best prospect Katchouk or Kyrou (Sarnia Sting)? Almost identical production this season. Although, Kyrou was on a better team.

Devils could use skilled wingers like them.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Who is the best prospect Katchouk or Kyrou (Sarnia Sting)? Almost identical production this season. Although, Kyrou was on a better team.

Devils could use skilled wingers like them.

I personally like Katchouk better for the NHL. Both are talented and Kyrou is possibly a little slicker. But I think Katchouk has the better motor and his game will translate more seamlessly.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
I personally like Katchouk better for the NHL. Both are talented and Kyrou is possibly a little slicker. But I think Katchouk has the better motor and his game will translate more seamlessly.

Katchok is more skilled offensivley but Kyrou has more tools overall, Kyrou has the ability to be a very good top 6 forward if he can put his offensive tools together where as Katchok is probably a tweener 2/3 RW winger at best

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
What's this guys upside do you guys think? Could he be a late bloomer like Senyshyn and put up a real productive season next year?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Website measurements should usually be taken with a grain of salt but, the OHL site lists him as 2 inches taller than last season at 6'3 now. Always loved Katchouk and thought he could have went late 1st. If he is legit close to 6'3, that will only help his style of game.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Really like this kid and had him as a guy I wanted at 31. He'll make the show in a grinding role, with potential to be more. He measured 6'1.25 at the combine, maybe he had a massive growth spurt, but getting almost 2 inches at that age is rare over 3 months. Granted, even if he only gained 1'.25 they'd bump it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad