LW Blake Clarke - Saginaw Spirit, OHL (2014 undrafted)

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
He and Spencer Watson are the only two 2 rookies leading their team in points this season I believe in the OHL. Im probably wrong though. Both kids look great so far.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
he's second in rookie scoring (behind mcdavid). has anyone seen him play or know his backstory? i see from elite prospects he was born in montana, which is neat - you don't hear a lot about hockey players coming from that state :)

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
he's second in rookie scoring (behind mcdavid). has anyone seen him play or know his backstory? i see from elite prospects he was born in montana, which is neat - you don't hear a lot about hockey players coming from that state :)

MO is Missouri. He grew up playing with the St. Louis Blues AAA program and has been traveling around to different programs the past few years.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
MO is Missouri. He grew up playing with the St. Louis Blues AAA program and has been traveling around to different programs the past few years.

Ha ha ha...I guess i need to brush up on my abbreviations - i thought Missouri was MI, but i guess that's michigan. too many states that start with M.

Why isn't he on the U17 roster? There are a couple of players from the WHL and one from high school.

Small Brain Presence

Ha ha ha...I guess i need to brush up on my abbreviations - i thought Missouri was MI, but i guess that's michigan. too many states that start with M.

Why isn't he on the U17 roster? There are a couple of players from the WHL and one from high school.

Yeah, poor old Montana had to wait for its fourth letter to get its abbreviation. It does beg the question, though: Why don't they play hockey in Montana?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Yeah, poor old Montana had to wait for its fourth letter to get its abbreviation. It does beg the question, though: Why don't they play hockey in Montana?

please be kind to me. i'm born and raised in canada. i like to think it's not *completely ignorant* i saw the abbreviation MO and assumed it meant "Montana" rather than "Missouri". :help:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
what's the story with him and USA Hockey? re 2014 draft eligibles in the OHL, he was second in rookie scoring behind Goldobin (a '95 late bday)...and 4th in rookie scoring overall.

I get he didn't do NTDP (was he invited to join?)...but isn't there a point where it's to USA Hockey's advantage for players *born in the usa* to be drafted high?

...any one want to share thoughts?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He was not invited to join the NTDP. Something must have happened at the YOG to make USAH sour on him because they went from thinking he was a top 9 1996 forward to not offering him an NTDP spot in less than 3 months.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
He was never offered a spot on any NTDP team. He also was not offered a spot last week out of the USA U17 Development Camp for the 2013 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament Aug. 5-10. 21 players out of the camp were offered roster spots. He was in attendance at the camp. He had 3 goals and 4 assists in 5 games at the camp. He is definitely worthy of consideration but did not dominate at camp. Somewhere along the line a bridge was burnt with USA hockey.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
That line was when he went to the CHL

I thought he wasn't offered a place at NTDP. If they didn't offer him a spot, then why would they care if he went to the CHL?

I'm surprised they'd turn their back on someone who is potentially going to be the first American player taken in the draft next year...you'd think they'd want to hype him :dunno:

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Blake Clarke is likely going to be North Bay's best player heading into the 2013-14 season. Had 51 points in 68 games as a rookie on a mediocre Brampton team.

6'1", 190 lbs.

Where does he look like he'll go at the 2014 draft? Mid-late 1st rounder?

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Im really curious to what the reason is he has fallen out of favor with USA hockey. This did happen with Bobby Ryan years ago, then he came back into favor making the Olympic team.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Saw the kid play tonight. He was invisible all night - unless he was giving up the puck. I can see while his stock is falling.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Saw the kid play tonight. He was invisible all night - unless he was giving up the puck. I can see while his stock is falling.

I was going to bump this thread to ask wtf happened to this kid. I noticed he only had 2 points in 7 games which is unusual for a kid who was thought to be a big point producer for a long time now.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I was going to bump this thread to ask wtf happened to this kid. I noticed he only had 2 points in 7 games which is unusual for a kid who was thought to be a big point producer for a long time now.

Went with a friend, tonight. Told the friend to watch him. Told him about his potential. The backstory with US Hockey, etc.

We both walked away thinking he was ordinary - especially with the puck. Gave it up time and time again. Lost battle after battle. Physically thin. Seemed to skate well.

The guys wearing suits in the Luxury(?) Box above were watching him - you could tell they were interested in seeing him play. Whenever his was on the ice, they took notice.

Unless he improves (or he was having an off night), I wouldn't be shocked if he's dropped out of the first round come draft time.

Last edited by a moderator:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

In his defense, the team looked flat and had a long drive down before the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad