LW Anton Slepyshev (2013, 88th, EDM)

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
COuldnt find a thread on this guy

Not drafted in NHL draft, not drafted in the CHL Import Draft. Is he just destined for KHL. Any chance someone nabs him maybe next year?

He was the #1 overall pick in the 2011 KHL Draft. I believe it could do some good if he came over to North America but i guess we will see.

2011-12 Metallurg Novokuznetsk KHL 39 4 3 7

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
He had to have said he's never coming to North America because not a single team drafted him and he has very well known upside.

I mean to pass up on him in a shallow draft and not even use a 7th says something.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I believe he said he was staying in Russia for at least 2 more years, don't quote me in that though.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
He wasn't drafted for the CHL because he's already playing in the KHL, will probably play a lot, and coming to the C from the K wouldn't be a smart move - look at how this just stopped Kitsyn's development.

It's true that he said that he wants to stay in Russia for some time and to come to the NA later, as a better player.

Not risking a 7th on Slepyshev is very surprising, but if he continues to improve over the next year, there's just no way he won't be drafted.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
He wasn't drafted for the CHL because he's already playing in the KHL, will probably play a lot, and coming to the C from the K wouldn't be a smart move - look at how this just stopped Kitsyn's development.

So really you think 3 and a half months of CHL hockey ruined Kitsyn as a hockey player?

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
You might want to change that photo Chris, that Russian player is certainly not Slepyshev, Anton shoots right.

btw, interesting how much reports disagree on him:

scout A said:
He has moves and stickhandles well but tends to not get involved enough in anything resembling physical play. He tends to play a perimeter game.

scout B said:
He’s not afraid to drive the net and generated chances in close with his quick hands. He is a hard worker engaging in and winning numerous puck battles along the boards, and is willing to take abuse in front of the net.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008

It's true that he said that he wants to stay in Russia for some time and to come to the NA later, as a better player.

Not risking a 7th on Slepyshev is very surprising, but if he continues to improve over the next year, there's just no way he won't be drafted.

Out of genuine curiosity, why do you attribute Kitsyn's play to his time in the CHL? Wouldn't his time in the KHL be just as, if not more, responsible for this?

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Out of genuine curiosity, why do you attribute Kitsyn's play to his time in the CHL? Wouldn't his time in the KHL be just as, if not more, responsible for this?

I don't attribute it to the CHL alone. But don't young players change leagues to improve? Kitsyn returned as a worse player. I actually don't think he should've returned as his game and talents suit NA hockey better.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He's committed to the KHL and doesn't want to waste 2-3 years of his life playing in some Canadian Junior League and then the AHL just to chase some NHL dream that he's probably never really had.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
How many KHL players would stay in Russia to develop until they're NHL-ready?

All of them but if they do that now a days every NHL team would be too scared to take them. RSL (KHL predecessor) developed notable NHL superstars Ilya Kovalchuk, Pavel Datsyuk, Alexander Ovechkin, and Evgeni Malkin.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
This just shows how out of all proportion the Russian factor hysteria has gotten. Even in the eighties, teams would use low picks on Soviet players there were very good reasons to regard as being close to 100% likely to never come over. It took a major and unexpected upheavel of world historical significance for most of them to materialise. The risk today is by cmoparison trivial, and as far as I can see considerably less than a lot of risks NHL teams take habitually and without batting an eyelid. There's about a 90% likelihood that a 7th round pick never plays more than at most a handful of NHL games. Does the risk of Slepyshev not coming over seriously outweigh that? I mean, even if he went on national television and said "It'll be a cold day in hell before I come to North America, you western pigdogs" you would still be in comparable territory of likelihood. And this is without question a first round talent.

Sometimes you need to remind yourself that there are often better reasons behind decisions than is immediately apparent. Other times you have to remember that Barbara Tuchman had a point when she wrote "The march of folly". I've got a pretty strong feeling this is one of the latter cases.

sina220*

This just shows how out of all proportion the Russian factor hysteria has gotten. Even in the eighties, teams would use low picks on Soviet players there were very good reasons to regard as being close to 100% likely to never come over. It took a major and unexpected upheavel of world historical significance for most of them to materialise. The risk today is by cmoparison trivial, and as far as I can see considerably less than a lot of risks NHL teams take habitually and without batting an eyelid. There's about a 90% likelihood that a 7th round pick never plays more than at most a handful of NHL games. Does the risk of Slepyshev not coming over seriously outweigh that? I mean, even if he went on national television and said "It'll be a cold day in hell before I come to North America, you western pigdogs" you would still be in comparable territory of likelihood. And this is without question a first round talent.

Sometimes you need to remind yourself that there are often better reasons behind decisions than is immediately apparent. Other times you have to remember that Barbara Tuchman had a point when she wrote "The march of folly". I've got a pretty strong feeling this is one of the latter cases.

Considering how many other first round talents have been taken, like terasenko, kuznetsov, etc, id be willing to be slepyshevs issues are character related not biographical.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Considering how many other first round talents have been taken, like terasenko, kuznetsov, etc, id be willing to be slepyshevs issues are character related not biographical.

Nah, Slepyshev is a good team player, plays both ways and works hard.

I think he wasn't drafted because:
1. He has 2 more years on his KHL contract.
2. Declined to attend the NHL combine (he had school exams).

I'm convinced people on this forum are more knowledgeable about lesser known prospects than many scouts and GMs are. I mean there's no rational explanation whatsoever why Slepyshev and Makarov weren't drafted, yet Kostenko, Vasiliev, Sinitsyn (lol) were.:confused:

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009

What, to cause him to not be drafted at all? That's "serious drug problem" calibre issues we'd be talking about. Nobody has brought up anything like that.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
i dont know what all the fuss is about. he is pretty mediocre player who deserves to be drafted in late rounds but not to be drafted at all in his case is clearly not a tragedy.

Dares

May 13, 2009
i dont know what all the fuss is about. he is pretty mediocre player who deserves to be drafted in late rounds but not to be drafted at all in his case is clearly not a tragedy.

This clown has been putting up some BS for some time now... last one i saw from him is that 95 Russian prospects group age is not that good..when clearly its one of the best in last few years
Slepyshev is a round 1 quality player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad