LW Anthony Duclair (2013, 80th, NYR; traded to ARZ)

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I figured this guy already had his own thread but I couldn't find one so I'll start one.

Was arguably the 2nd best player in the qmjhl draft last season after mackinnon (ranked 3rd overall but slipped due to "ncaa aspirations"). He has done well in quebec so far this season:

14gp 6g 5a 11p +9

I saw him play against halifax tonight and he was really good. He plays with grigorenko but he is by no means just a product of him. He does feed off of him but he creates a lot by himself too. Take it for what its worth, but after the game Craig Button said to me "the Q better enjoy mackinnon and duclair while they're here, because they could both be gone after 2 years". Anyone else seen him play this season? Thoughts?

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
He started playing with Grigorenko in the 2nd period Thursday night in Bathurst. He usually plays with Rioux and McNamee on the 2nd line but they're both injured.

With his size (5'11, 159), I highly doubt he makes the NHL at 18.

But he's good, real good. He will be way more effective once he bulks up.

Last edited:

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I agree this kid is fast, entertaining to watch, he has excellent puck handling abilities and is a strong finisher and good passer, he split the D in Halifax last night, he looks like he will be a good one.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
He started playing with Grigorenko in the 2nd period Saturday night in Bathurst. He usually plays with Rioux and McNamee on the 2nd line but they're both injured.

He's still young at 16 yrs old and he could have a growth spurt. MacKinnon too is 5ft11.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Always pretty impressed with him when I see him play. Saw him last night and at the Canada Games, and he's been solid each time. He's quick, elusive, great hands etc. Went into the dirty areas for his goal last night too.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He started playing with Grigorenko in the 2nd period Thursday night in Bathurst. He usually plays with Rioux and McNamee on the 2nd line but they're both injured.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins says hi.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Evander Kane was 160lbs at 16 and still played in the nhl at 18

Adam Erne is also very impressive for the Remparts. and Sorensen too. all 2013 eligible

Yes, Sorensen was great.. Until he got his ACL and MCL (or LCL) torned by some ******.

ElSid Crosby

Dec 11, 2005
I agree this kid is fast, entertaining to watch, he has excellent puck handling abilities and is a strong finisher and good passer, he split the D in Halifax last night, he looks like he will be a good one.

Great review! :yo:

Have the chance to see him play often, I would add to say that he love to overflow defensemen with is great speed.

A no-brainer for 2013 nhl draft.

RandR

May 15, 2011
Evander Kane was 160lbs at 16 and still played in the nhl at 18

Adam Erne is also very impressive for the Remparts. and Sorensen too. all 2013 eligible
I watched the Remparts visit the Olympiques a couple of weeks ago and paid a lot of attention to Duclair and Erne. It was only one game, but Duclair didn't impress me at all other than being a quick skater, and he took a couple of unnecessary penalties on top of that. On the other hand, Erne was one of the stars of the game, setting up 3 of Quebec's 4 goals, finishing at a +4, and being heavily involved in the play virtually every time he was on the ice.

I was disappointed not to be able to see Sorensen; a real shame for him to be taken out like he was.

ElSid Crosby

Dec 11, 2005
Erne was one of the stars of the game, setting up 3 of Quebec's 4 goals, finishing at a +4, and being heavily involved in the play virtually every time he was on the ice.

Agree and it's time to make a Adam Erne thread as well.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Awesome game by Duclair tonight! Getting better and better every night. 1 goal and 2 assists in a 5-2 win... 1st star of the game!

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
I haven't seen Duclair play enough to say this, but could Duclair just be another Angelo Esposito (without the hype)? So ala having Grigorenko is like having Radulov for Duclair. Once again it's just a question so don't kill me for asking :help:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I haven't seen Duclair play enough to say this, but could Duclair just be another Angelo Esposito (without the hype)? So ala having Grigorenko is like having Radulov for Duclair. Once again it's just a question so don't kill me for asking :help:

Sure, it helps playing on the first line with Grigorenko rather than on the second line with McNamee. However, Duclair can be good playing with anybody. He has been Quebec's best forward in November. In the vid, you can see him setting up Grigorenko for his goal and on his own goal, Grigorenko had no pass. Again tonight, Duclair has a pass and not Grigorenko. Duclair started playing with Grigorenko when Sörensen got injured. So it gives Duclair 11 points in 15 games without Grigorenko and 7 points in 8 games with Grigorenko. Not a huge difference. And he's getting better and better as the season goes on. He's more solid physically than he was at the beginning of the season.

Esposito was real good as a 16 yo as well. However, injuries and sickness didn't help his progression.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Sure, it helps playing on the first line with Grigorenko rather than on the second line with McNamee. However, Duclair can be good playing with anybody. He has been Quebec's best forward in November. In the vid, you can see him setting up Grigorenko for his goal and on his own goal, Grigorenko had no pass. Again tonight, Duclair has a pass and not Grigorenko. Duclair started playing with Grigorenko when Sörensen got injured. So it gives Duclair 11 points in 15 games without Grigorenko and 7 points in 8 games with Grigorenko. Not a huge difference. And he's getting better and better as the season goes on. He's more solid physically than he was at the beginning of the season.

Esposito was real good as a 16 yo as well. However, injuries and sickness didn't help his progression.

Pefect explanation, thanks for clearing that up. Looking forward to watching him this season.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
As for Esposito, it's not like he scored 39 goals with Radulov setting him up open nets for every goal... he was really impressive... He got sick at the U17 tournament, lost 10-15 pounds but played anyway. When he came back, he wasn't the same as he was before he left. Had some injury problems at 17 and 18, especially with his back, that didn't help his progression as he played injured a lot during those seasons. He was having a nice season with Montreal at 19 before he hurt his knee for several months. Between January 2009 and September 2010, he played not more than 15-20 games. He was a bit over-hyped, especially since he had as much point as Crosby at 16 before December, but I think people doesn't take all his health problem into consideration when talking about him. He had too much of them during the most important years of his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad