LW Anthony DeLuca - Rimouski Océanic, QMJHL (2013 undrafted)

BLBarmada

Played MidgetAAA this year for LacStLouis...

Lead the league in scoring, his numbers were inflated by Jo Drouin.

He is in his 2nd year of AAA due to NCAA commitments, Vermont, he is headed twords the USHL this year, was ranked top 10 in last years and this years Q draft.

He is expected to be drafted by the expansion Phoenix, and to report there, however that's only rumor.

For now he's USHL bound.

He's draft eligible next year, and as of now go late, 7th roundish if lucky, do to his issues.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
From what I read he sounds great, didn't go to any Lions games thins year though.
What are his issues?

BLBarmada

From what I read he sounds great, didn't go to any Lions games thins year though.
What are his issues?

Major Puck hog, lack of work ethic and poor workrate w/o the puck.

Hes built, and could rip through the Q, but needs major coaching, if he sorts out his issues, he will shoot up the rankings...

He needs to show better hockey sense, and use his teammates to his advantage, but also have a better work rate, he could be a 2nd rounder IMO if he really got it all together.

He's running out of time though.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
De Luca first stood out for me at the Canada Winter Games, before then he was just a Q prospect to me. The guy just seemed to be everywhere on the ice and couldn't stop putting up points. Seems like it's been all down hill ever since.

Watching him at the U17's was beyond disappointing. He looked like a stereotypical Russian star who didn't put in any effort. Watching him was so frustrating because I knew what he was capable of but he just didn't seem to care.

I don't like this rumor of him going to Sherbrooke, he's the perfect type of player to go the NCAA route. He needs many years to mature and going to the Q won't do it for him. He'd be going to an expansion team where he'll be expected to step into a major role right away whereas the college route would teach him to work for ice time and a certain amount of discipline that he'd never get from the Q.

It's very rare that I'm for a player to go the NCAA route, but De Luca is one of those exceptions.

BLBarmada

De Luca first stood out for me at the Canada Winter Games, before then he was just a Q prospect to me. The guy just seemed to be everywhere on the ice and couldn't stop putting up points. Seems like it's been all down hill ever since.

Watching him at the U17's was beyond disappointing. He looked like a stereotypical Russian star who didn't put in any effort. Watching him was so frustrating because I knew what he was capable of but he just didn't seem to care.

I don't like this rumor of him going to Sherbrooke, he's the perfect type of player to go the NCAA route. He needs many years to mature and going to the Q won't do it for him. He'd be going to an expansion team where he'll be expected to step into a major role right away whereas the college route would teach him to work for ice time and a certain amount of discipline that he'd never get from the Q.

It's very rare that I'm for a player to go the NCAA route, but De Luca is one of those exceptions.

I fully agree, the kid has the potential to play in the NHL and do well, but he lacks the drive and passion.

He's physically built for the NCAA, apparently his commitment is weak... He's a huge project, I think that depending on who coaches Sherbrooke he could succeed... He needs a good kick in the ass... When I watch him I want to hit him... I fully agree he's downhill..

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
5"8 actuallly LMAO freight train !

He should be a football running back. He could be a French Canadian Maurice Jones-Drew.
He needs to work on his mental game, physically, it's all there. I don't know if Sherbrooke will be able to concentrate on him the way he needs to be concentrated on. Being an expansion team comes with a bit of frustration & distraction.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Probably taking the long-route to the NHL.

NCAA route is more beneficial to defensemen than the CHL (IMHO) for some reason.

Another NCAA player that was a good, but small, sub-CHL defender was Joey LaLeggia and he's doing great at DU right now.

Hockey Buff

Aug 18, 2011
He should be a football running back. He could be a French Canadian Maurice Jones-Drew.
He needs to work on his mental game, physically, it's all there. I don't know if Sherbrooke will be able to concentrate on him the way he needs to be concentrated on. Being an expansion team comes with a bit of frustration & distraction.

If Deluca goes to Sherbrooke and Audette is drafted there...that's a lot of ego for one team to handle.

CH4

Jul 21, 2004
Chicoutimi
If Deluca goes to Sherbrooke and Audette is drafted there...that's a lot of ego for one team to handle.

There is no rumour around the QMJHL that he would go to Sherbrooke.

Audette is going to be Sherbrooke 1st pick, not De luca.

rumours have him drafted by Saint John or Halifax. I believe SJ will grab him in the first round if he shows some interest.

BLBarmada

There is no rumour around the QMJHL that he would go to Sherbrooke.

Audette is going to be Sherbrooke 1st pick, not De luca.

rumours have him drafted by Saint John or Halifax. I believe SJ will grab him in the first round if he shows some interest.

There's a rumour that he will slip and be a sherbrooke 2nd...

If SJ didn't take him last year.. I don't think they will this year, Espicially will more pressing needs..

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Major Puck hog, lack of work ethic and poor workrate w/o the puck.

Hes built, and could rip through the Q, but needs major coaching, if he sorts out his issues, he will shoot up the rankings...

He needs to show better hockey sense, and use his teammates to his advantage, but also have a better work rate, he could be a 2nd rounder IMO if he really got it all together.

He's running out of time though.

Interesting... I hope he thea to Vermont. He'll be given more time to succeed and people would handle him better. Him going to Halifax would just be fun to watch though.

He's a forward

No. Deluca's a defenseman.

Edit: realized you might be talking about the other guy. Don't know him.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
No. Deluca's a defenseman.

Edit: realized you might be talking about the other guy. Don't know him.

Ye Anthony De Luca is not a defenseman unless you mean he's on the point on power plays...

Where are you guys getting this "he's a D-man" crap?

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
DeLuca is a forward... And he is fully committed to NCAA from what I hear.

I wouldn't want my team to draft him anyways... Way to lazy a player and has too many redflags to play in the Q IMO.

BLBarmada

DeLuca is a forward... And he is fully committed to NCAA from what I hear.

I wouldn't want my team to draft him anyways... Way to lazy a player and has too many redflags to play in the Q IMO.

Your not the only one who doesn't want him...

I've heard different things about his NCAA commitment, the most common being that it's weak.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
I will say again as I have all year. Deluca is 100% going to the USHL and to Vermont. His dad called me last week after a facebook discussion where I asked if he was considering going to the Q. I asked this after I saw his name on the combine roster. Angelo stated there are many teams still after Anthony but the family is still telling everyone they are not interested.
To make a long conversation short, Angelo stated that there were certain things the family does not like about the Q and wanted his son to have a back up plan if Hockey did not pan out. He stated his family is very Education oriented thus the reason for the NCAA route.

After talking to Mr. Deluca on the phone, I would be absolutely shocked if Anthony went to the Q. After the conversation, it told me he looked forward to meeting me in June at the Roughrider camp.

CH4

Jul 21, 2004
Chicoutimi
I will say again as I have all year. Deluca is 100% going to the USHL and to Vermont. His dad called me last week after a facebook discussion where I asked if he was considering going to the Q. I asked this after I saw his name on the combine roster. Angelo stated there are many teams still after Anthony but the family is still telling everyone they are not interested.
To make a long conversation short, Angelo stated that there were certain things the family does not like about the Q and wanted his son to have a back up plan if Hockey did not pan out. He stated his family is very Education oriented thus the reason for the NCAA route.

After talking to Mr. Deluca on the phone, I would be absolutely shocked if Anthony went to the Q. After the conversation, it told me he looked forward to meeting me in June at the Roughrider camp.

maybe he should ask Anthony Duclair and Jonathan Drouin about their backup plans! :sarcasm:

BLBarmada

Ya, He holds on to the puck too long-Mike Matheson

Let me say that Matheson had very strong points on the NCAA...

That being said, DeLuca is Q bound, he'll get what he wants and more.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Ya, He holds on to the puck too long-Mike Matheson

Let me say that Matheson had very strong points on the NCAA...

That being said, DeLuca is Q bound, he'll get what he wants and more.

Sounds like others have better sources that say the opposite.

BLBarmada

Sounds like others have better sources that say the opposite.

Matheson is one of most mature kids that I've ever met, for my age..when I grilled him about Shawi, his father and I quote, They didn't stop coming, there was many many adanvance.

My response, it's rumored that teams throw cash at players, I'm going to assume that they did to you, is that true ?

Rod, yes, the amount of money they throw at you is mind boggling, it really makes you think, and I was in a position where I didn't know if I should tell him...

Me, did you ? And Duclair got money, his schooling to BC, and more, Did Shawi offer the same ?

Rod, Yes I told him, and I don't want to comment on it, they offered things, you wouldn't believe it.

There's no way that DeLuca is as mature as Mike. Someone's gunna temp him, and I dont think he'll be able to resist.

I dont want to derail the thread... I'll post more in the Matheson thread...

Today I learned that Q teams can offer more then we thought... I think the #s are higher then we thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad