LW Alexis Pepin - Gatineau Olympiques, QMJHL (2014, 114th overall, Colorado)

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Alexis Pépin
1996-04-24
Position: LW
Candiac, Qc, Canada
Ht: 6ft2 Wt: 196 lbs
Shoots: Left

STATS:

Prince Edward Island Rockets QMJHL: 64GP 18G 12A 30TP PIM 78 +/- -9
WHC - U17 - Team Québec: 6 GP 3G 4A 7TP PIM 18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-YBCUuaCx0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfp_xMv8U4I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9JrTC0U6UE

photo_2098825_resize.jpg

TA1 Sports

@TA_Stephenson
Dec 3, 2011
Halifax NS
www.ta1sports.com
I was extremely underwhelmed by his 16 year old season. Will have to see this year, especially a bigger bodied kid, you'd think it would have been more effective during his rookie campaign.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I was extremely underwhelmed by his 16 year old season. Will have to see this year, especially a bigger bodied kid, you'd think it would have been more effective during his rookie campaign.

I'm not sure about that, the kid was great this year....he is not a flashy player but strong, physical, gritty, great hands, excellent hockey sense, smart player, uses size, good sot, good passing, two way, great character, the kid this year was one of pei's best players...watch him closer u will appreciate a great player

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I'd say yes, he probably does.
He looks to have gotten incredibly heavy and you can see it in his face.

Last year:
PEI_PepinAlexis_2012135234.jpg

Recorded during Ivan Hlinka camp:
kZnSu52.png

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
The listed weights are rarely changed from when they're first taken, and when you're talking about guys at that age they can, and are encouraged to, put on weight in a hurry.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
WOW the difference in those pictures are gross.

Aren't people projecting him as a first round pick?

SarcazemKadri

Feb 15, 2012
Toronto
Waaay too heavy. I feel that when players think of bulking up, they don't consider good weight and bad weight. Good weight comes from a clean diet, heavy lifting and exercise - the latter from a neglected diet. Could be why he didn't see much ice all tournament.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Team-Canada/Men/Under-18/2013-14/Memorial-of-Ivan-Hlinka/Roster

Wow. A lot of these weights seem pretty inflated. Many of these kids are listed way lighter on their respective team sites (Alexis Pépin is 196 on the Q site). Did they weigh them for this tourny?

Lemieux at 213 (listed at 194 on Barrie site) and Virtanen at 211 (listed at 190 on Calgary site) are surprising, too.

Keep in mind for a kid like Virtanen, that weight is from this same time last year. Gaining 21 pounds might seem like quite a bit for one calendar year, but can probably be achieved as a 16 year old kid who likely ate over 1000 pounds of pasta over the winter.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
Yup. I am a big Pépin believer but that was shocking. He finished the season at around 205 pounds and came to Hlinka at 238 pounds, no wonder he struggled on the ice.

For a guy whose main flaw remains skating, it is just shocking he put on almost 35 pounds. I am guessing his ideal playing weight should be around 215-220 pounds in the end.

I think he will have a tremendous season in the Q though and the only good thing is that the whole Hlinka tournament + training camp will allow to start the season in much better shape than he would have sans Hlinka.

Last edited:

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
Yup. I am a big Pépin believer but that was shocking. He finished the season at around 205 pounds and came to Hlinka at 238 pounds, no wonder he struggled on the ice.

For a guy whose main flaw remains skating, it is just shocking he put on almost 35 pounds. I am guessing his ideal playing weight should be around 215-220 pounds in the end.

I think he will have a tremendous season in the Q though and the only good thing is that the whole Hlinka tournament + training camp will allow to start the season in much better shape than he would have sans Hlinka.

In the last month of the season and in the playoff, he was a consistent and very good powerforward. And he wasn't a bad skater. But yeah, even on the updated weights on the Charlottetown website, Pépin is 238 lbs. He has naturally a big frame, but 238... I think he will be fine around 220.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
To be fair it doesn't look like puberty was treating him all that well and it could be a large part of the reason.

Ryan English

@ryanenglish_FC
Nov 14, 2010
Halifax, NS
alexis pepin ‏@alexispepin26 5 Aug
@Jonathan_Dunphy I am actually 230 lbs

https://twitter.com/alexispepin26

Not sure how to embed tweets, but I saw this earlier. He is indeed 230 lbs, which may scare a few NHL scouts. His mobility wasn't the greatest last year and 20+ lbs. can't help that.

I think he was the most complete 16 year old last year, but a lot of kids will catch up this year without skating improvements.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
alexis pepin ‏@alexispepin26 5 Aug
@Jonathan_Dunphy I am actually 230 lbs

https://twitter.com/alexispepin26

Not sure how to embed tweets, but I saw this earlier. He is indeed 230 lbs, which may scare a few NHL scouts. His mobility wasn't the greatest last year and 20+ lbs. can't help that.

I think he was the most complete 16 year old last year, but a lot of kids will catch up this year without skating improvements.

He has the best frame/skill ratio from all Q drafted players in 2012. His skating is not up to par, but that will come with training and games. I can't see Audette passing him due to size, and I can't see other forwards like Nantel passing him.

The only Q drafted forward I can possibly see passing him is Bishop, and I don't think he will due to his offense and size not being up to Pepin. He easily, easily has the Defensive and Skating on Pepin though, and has similar hockey I.Q.

nolongeramember

Oct 20, 2013
Peps definitely got off too slow start but now that he has his first goal in the books has definitely looked more impressive, really excited to see how he pans out.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He has been the biggest disappointment in my eyes of every prospect. I thought he would be a top 15-20 pick, as his skill and size were incredible last year.

After his showing at the Ivan Hilinka, it started looking bleaker and bleaker.

Still hope for him, but seems I was wrong about him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad