LW Adam Tambellini - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2013, 65th overall, New York Rangers)

ginopuck

Apr 2, 2012
He's lighting it up in the BCHL these days with 48 pts in 39 gms. I'm just wondering what others think his potential is, where he'll go in the draft, etc. Any thoughts?

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
He is a very toolsy type of prospect. Great size, good skating, but he has yet to put it all together just quite yet.

Despite his size, he isn't a physical forward. He has yet to learn how to really lean into his opponents and use his skating and size to drive towards the net. He knows how to use his reach very effectively, and has good puckhandling skills and skating to keep his opponents on their toes, but he is often matched or outmatched by smaller players.

He is a prospect that requires alot of development time because he has all the tools, just needs to realize he has them and make full use of them.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
related to jeff and steve ??

Steve's son. He grew like 10 inches from 15 to 16/17 so it could just be a matter of adjusting to his body right now. Lots of potential there, going to UND next year. Hopefully he can develop there the way a guy like Corban Knight has.

sfo

Oct 13, 2008
Steve's son. He grew like 10 inches from 15 to 16/17 so it could just be a matter of adjusting to his body right now. Lots of potential there, going to UND next year. Hopefully he can develop there the way a guy like Corban Knight has.

I haven't seen him play in anything except YouTube clips, but his size and frame remind me of Brock Nelson. Tall, lanky kid that needs to grow into his body. Brock got pushed around a bit his freshman year at UND, but by his sophomore year, he was just a beast. Hopefully a similar progression happens with Adam, though he will probably play a larger offensive role at UND in his first year than Brock did.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
It might actually be better for him to go undrafted this year and really improve his draft stock next year. I can see him being one of those overagers picked in the middle rounds who eventually make it to the NHL.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
It might actually be better for him to go undrafted this year and really improve his draft stock next year. I can see him being one of those overagers picked in the middle rounds who eventually make it to the NHL.

I seriously doubt he goes undrafted. He's the son of an NHL GM on his way to play for North Dakota putting up good numbers in the BCHL....

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

No point. While raw, he'll get picked high because of the potential upside, size and skill.

Although I think he has tons more work to do, any NHL team that is confident on its own developmental system will gladly pick Tambellini, who if he puts it together, will be a home-run pick.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
if he is Jeff with that size than he can be something special. Hopefully he is as fast as Jeff.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta

I seriously doubt he goes undrafted. He's the son of an NHL GM on his way to play for North Dakota putting up good numbers in the BCHL....

and Oiler head scout Stu MacGregor lives in Kelowna and will no doubt have the BCHL well scouted as usual, so Adam is no doubt on an Oiler draft list somewhere! and he did play 3 games with the Sherwood Park Crusaders of the AJHL a couple of years ago, and being the son of Steve, the Oil would at least be well aware of him. :laugh:

as15

Sep 21, 2012
I would be very surprised if he goes undrafted this year. I would guess most teams have him listed as a late round project pick, while some might even have him as a mid-round pick. I don't see anything about his game, physical attributes, or situation that doesn't warrant at least a late round pick.

He has very good size, and is putting up good offensive numbers. He also has the opportunity, if need be, to play 4 more years at one of the best developmental teams out there in North Dakota before an NHL team even needs to consider signing him. I think for a project pick like Tambellini that has potential, but needs a few more years to gain weight and experience, playing at a school like UND is about the perfect place for him.

Last edited:

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I would be very surprised if he goes undrafted this year. I would guess most teams have him listed as a late round project pick, while some might even have him as a mid-round pick. I don't see anything about his game, physical attributes, or situation that doesn't warrant at least a late round pick.

He has very good size, and is putting up good offensive numbers. He also has the opportunity, if need be, to play 4 more years at one of the best developmental teams out there in North Dakota before an NHL team even needs to consider signing him. I think for a project pick like Tambellini that has potential, but needs a few more years to gain weight and experience, playing at a school like UND is about the perfect place for him.

Personally, he is in the similar situation I had with Kurker. Playing in a lower league, I wasn't to impressed by the rawness of his game, but it was evident he had some powerful tools to work with. However, his raw game was something I wouldn't dare touch with a top 90 pick IMO.

But he was picked in the 2nd round and it was because, although raw, if he puts it together, he'll be an amazing player.

Tambellini is probably in a similar situation. There is some work to be done, but put them together and that upside will be very attractive to NHL teams that have faith in their own developmental program.

I can see Tambellini go into the 2nd round, although personally, I wouldn't select him until later.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
and Oiler head scout Stu MacGregor lives in Kelowna and will no doubt have the BCHL well scouted as usual, so Adam is no doubt on an Oiler draft list somewhere! and he did play 3 games with the Sherwood Park Crusaders of the AJHL a couple of years ago, and being the son of Steve, the Oil would at least be well aware of him. :laugh:
I would bet the Oilers won't select him. Kevin Lowe and his son Keegan made an agreement that Edmonton would not select him to keep the pressure off him. I would guess Tambellini and son will make a similar one.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
@TPS_Guy15m
As reported by @SchlossmanGF, Adam Tambellini has left North Dakota. I can confirm he has landed with the @WHLHitmen and will play tonight.

Interesting move. Looking forward to see how he plays with the Hitmen, they are playing really well right now.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Hmmm...Bit of a strange move as there's no guarantee that a team will keep him next year as an OA, which he'll need to do to get any significant development out of the WHL.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Hmmm...Bit of a strange move as there's no guarantee that a team will keep him next year as an OA, which he'll need to do to get any significant development out of the WHL.

Sounds as if he wasn't getting much playing time at North Dakota, I think he'll get a good look with the Hitmen, who should make another deep run in the WHL playoffs this year.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
@ChrisDilks: Adam Tambellini has 3 points two periods into his WHL career. Had 4 in 16 games at the NCAA level. It's not so bad dining at the kiddy table.

Could it have been possible that Tambellini just simply wasn't utilized properly at the collegiate level?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
@ChrisDilks: Adam Tambellini has 3 points two periods into his WHL career. Had 4 in 16 games at the NCAA level. It's not so bad dining at the kiddy table.

Could it have been possible that Tambellini just simply wasn't utilized properly at the collegiate level?

That's perhaps part of it, but I'd imagine his size will be more of an advantage in a Junior league as opposed to the NCAA where he's facing a lot of 20+ year old kids who are more developed physically. You could tell his lack of strength was an issue at NoDak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad