Proposal: LV - TOR minor deal

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Leipsic for Fehr, Lindberg + Valiev

Leafs are at 49 contracts and still need to sign Connor Brown, so this deal opens up some spots for some flexibility while bringing back a key Marlie and fan favorite

Los Vegas gets a useful body in Fehr and a couple prospects with some upside.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I'd love to shed the contracts and cap space, and I remember when we acquired fehr it was so he would be LVK's pick from the Leafs due to his connection with gmgm, but I feel if that were the case it would of happened at the X draft

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005

Leafs are at 49 contracts and still need to sign Connor Brown, so this deal opens up some spots for some flexibility while bringing back a key Marlie and fan favorite

All LEAFS >>>>>> what you offered.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
VGK is sharing an AHL team so I;m not sure if that means they have an advantage and can absorb some extra contracts for minor kickbacks, or if the don't have as many spots to send down waiver wire level players. Either way, fringe NHLers is the one thing readily available to expansion teams. I don't see them wanting 3 pennies for something on the floor that may be a nickel.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Thank God Leipsic can't be traded back and it wouldn't benefit Vegas in the first place.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
yeah pretty much a couple of pennies vs a nickel, the value is close but leipsic is a better bet than the other two players combined.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
Thank God Leipsic can't be traded back and it wouldn't benefit Vegas in the first place.

That's what I was thinking... I was under the impression Vegas cannot trade a player they selected in the expansion draft back to the team they selected him from for a year (or some period of time...)? Is that correct?

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
That's what I was thinking... I was under the impression Vegas cannot trade a player they selected in the expansion draft back to the team they selected him from for a year (or some period of time...)? Is that correct?

I think so for one year.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

I think so for one year.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1...an-reacquire-players-taken-in-expansion-draft

Nope, they could. The only trades that can't happen are trade backs of players that were dealt right before the expansion draft (Beaulieu back to MTL for example).

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
You think OTT wouldn't have taken Methot back for what Vegas got?
Vegas had to draft 1 player from each team, trading the player back later would circumvent this rule.

Its almost as if I just posted a link contradicting your repeated assumption...

They even mention Methot in the article. Its not like it would be the only poor pick/move McPhee has made so far.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

false.

only applies to players traded pre expansion draft to prevent teams for circumventing the draft rules.

also no space for leipsic and the leafs arent gonna give up anything to take him back (otherwise they would have just protected him)

griffin2.0

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
You think OTT wouldn't have taken Methot back for what Vegas got?
Vegas had to draft 1 player from each team, trading the player back later would circumvent this rule.

no it wouldnt. the rules were there to help vegas, not prevent them from moving a guy back to the team they just stole em away from for a good return.

maybe listen to what multiple others have already proven?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Don't know why Leaf fans think Leipsic is the answer. He's a minor leaguer, but good for him if he can make it to the NHL. Certainly not with the Leafs.
I don't know why so many folks think Fehr is important to trade. He's the Leafs 5th centre, and the Leafs have NO ONE with the Marlies that can play centre in the NHL, if case of injuries to any of the Leafs top five centres.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Don't know why Leaf fans think Leipsic is the answer. He's a minor leaguer, but good for him if he can make it to the NHL. Certainly not with the Leafs.
I don't know why so many folks think Fehr is important to trade. He's the Leafs 5th centre, and the Leafs have NO ONE with the Marlies that can play centre in the NHL, if case of injuries to any of the Leafs top five centres.

The Leafs can push Komarov or Nylander to the middle for short term fixes. Not ideal solutions, but certainly not the end of the world either.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Before the expansion draft, I seem to recall a lot of fans of other teams suggesting that their fringe NHLers would be great with an increased role on an expansion team. Essentially, we could have stacked our entire roster with guys like that, but GMGM made a bunch of side deals and opted for expiring contracts that should net us more draft picks. We really only took three forwards that classify as fringe NHLers: Nosek, Carrier and Leipsic. I imagine we're going to give all three of those guys an extended look to see if they can be longterm contributors to the team.

Having seen what he did in Junior/AHL, I have no real interest in moving Leipsic right now, especially for a cap dump and some marginal prospects. Now, if the Leafs want to shed some salary and contract spots, I'd be down for a deal that would see us get Lupul, and a couple of decent waiver-exempt prospects (Timashov, Johnsson, Soshnikov, Bracco, maybe even Valiev) in exchange for one of our expendable d-men (Sbisa, McNabb, Stoner).

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
i'm all in for the leafs re-aquiring leipsic and trading away eric fehr, but this trade proposal favors the leafs by a lot and i don't see vegas doing this

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

Leipsic is the most valuable piece in the deal. Why would they do this?

I am I

Feb 18, 2010
Before the expansion draft, I seem to recall a lot of fans of other teams suggesting that their fringe NHLers would be great with an increased role on an expansion team. Essentially, we could have stacked our entire roster with guys like that, but GMGM made a bunch of side deals and opted for expiring contracts that should net us more draft picks. We really only took three forwards that classify as fringe NHLers: Nosek, Carrier and Leipsic. I imagine we're going to give all three of those guys an extended look to see if they can be longterm contributors to the team.

Having seen what he did in Junior/AHL, I have no real interest in moving Leipsic right now, especially for a cap dump and some marginal prospects. Now, if the Leafs want to shed some salary and contract spots, I'd be down for a deal that would see us get Lupul, and a couple of decent waiver-exempt prospects (Timashov, Johnsson, Soshnikov, Bracco, maybe even Valiev) in exchange for one of our expendable d-men (Sbisa, McNabb, Stoner).

I think Leipsic will work out for Las Vegas. I liked him as a prospect, but the Leafs have a huge logjam on the wings and he wasn't getting a chance in Toronto. I hope he does well.

Leafs need to move a bunch of low end prospects and don't need much in return. If LV is stocking a farm team there could be a deal around some of the things you've suggested. A grab bag of meh for some surplus stuff. I don't need/want the blowback for proposing anything, plus I'm rubbish at that sort of thing anyway.

Lupul is just cash and only causes a minor inconvenience. Not sure the Leafs want to give up anything to save money. They most make papermache pinatas out of their extra $100 bills.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

leipsic can play lw and he did great in the marlies last year. when jvr and komarov leave for fa the leafs will have no depth on the lw side.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I think Leipsic will work out for Las Vegas. I liked him as a prospect, but the Leafs have a huge logjam on the wings and he wasn't getting a chance in Toronto. I hope he does well.

Leafs need to move a bunch of low end prospects and don't need much in return. If LV is stocking a farm team there could be a deal around some of the things you've suggested. A grab bag of meh for some surplus stuff. I don't need/want the blowback for proposing anything, plus I'm rubbish at that sort of thing anyway.

Lupul is just cash and only causes a minor inconvenience. Not sure the Leafs want to give up anything to save money. They most make papermache pinatas out of their extra $100 bills.

leafs have a logjam on the right side, they are weak at the left side beyond this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad