Luuing vs Booing

UltimateHKY

The extremely different reaction raise a very interesting question: Why was Luongo cheered and Kesler booed? Both were key players to the team for many years and were adored by Canuck fans during their time in Vancouver.

Article here: http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/uhn-│-canucks-luuing-vs-booing/

www.UltimateHockeyNetwork.com
@joshwald @UltimateHKY

Let us know if you have any interest contributing for us at UHN. We're always looking for more writers passionate about hockey! [email protected]

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
One was seen as being disrespected by management while the other demanded a trade and used his NTC to limit Vancouver's options.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
They're both losers and I hope they both go their entire careers without a cup.

Last edited:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Luongo, despite everything, still sucked it up and played almost a full season where both sides tried to mend fences. Had it not been for the Torts snub, Lu may still be playing for us. Kesler, on the other hand, made a whole song and dance about wanting to be apart of the solution than not only bailed the first chance he got, he hogtied the organization into trading him to the team he wanted knowing it would garner a lesser return.

Short version. Luongo tried to make the best of a bad situation, whereas Kesler pouted, moaned and whined until he got what he wanted.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
People feel sorry for Luongo because he's a big baby and cried all the time. Kesler is a ****** so nobody is going to feel sorry for him.

They're both egotistical *******s that screwed us over.

Last edited:

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Luongo, despite everything, still sucked it up and played almost a full season where both sides tried to mend fences. Had it not been for the Torts snub, Lu may still be playing for us. Kesler, on the other hand, made a whole song and dance about wanting to be apart of the solution than not only bailed the first chance he got, he hogtied the organization into trading him to the team he wanted knowing it would garner a lesser return.

Short version. Luongo tried to make the best of a bad situation, whereas Kesler pouted, moaned and whined until he got what he wanted.

Pretty much this. Also, Luongo is a much more likeable person. Kesler by all accounts wasn't great in the locker room.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
People feel sorry for Luongo because he's a big baby and cried all the time. Kesler is a ****** so nobody is going to feel sorry for him.

This is so misinformed. I urge you to read Bourne Endeavor's post. He has it bang on!

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

How is he a big baby? Luongo only wanted out once we started playing musical chairs between him and Schneider. He wanted to be the starter full time. I can't say I blame him.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I wanted Luongo traded for a long time before he was finally moved, but the man put up with a lot of crap and for the most part was a consummate professional for a long time. Kesler wanted out the moment that there was even a hint of adversity.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Kesler gave up on the Canucks, Luongo simply didn't see himself as a backup. Gillis and Torts sealed Luongos fate, if Benning and Willie had been hired the season before, we would still have a Luongo/Lack pairing. Kesler lost faith in the team and essentially quit. Both had one team lists which is probably their right when they get a full NTC.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I wanted Luongo traded for a long time before he was finally moved, but the man put up with a lot of crap and for the most part was a consummate professional for a long time. Kesler wanted out the moment that there was even a hint of adversity.

This is how I see it too.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I like Lu and wish him well...Never really liked Kesler's attitude, wish we had traded him years earlier....don't blame him for wanting out, just wish management had a spine when it came to dealing him.

E D

Winger Super Squad
Feb 13, 2012
Canadia
Liked kesler as a player for his heart and soul he put into the game. Off the ice, he seemed to be a bit of a "cancer" as I had heard in rumors. I loved Lou, he was a fantastic goalie, helped us to some of our best years, had his ups and downs. I did not like him when he was "Throw the team under the bus" Lou, but after he was no longer Captain his arrogance disappeared and I saw a much more humble Lou. He truly was an awesome player and I'm glad he was a part of this franchise for a good chunk of his career.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
How is he a big baby? Luongo only wanted out once we started playing musical chairs between him and Schneider. He wanted to be the starter full time. I can't say I blame him.

He put himself above the team and then had the nerve to outright lie to everyone and say that he would do what was best for the team. Be a man and tell us that you're pissed because you haven't been treated fairly or say you're leaving because of personal reasons and leave it at that. He lied to everyone that cheered for the team and luuuuuuuu'd him vigorously to save face. And he loved to cry woe is me to the media. Big ****ing baby.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I was fine with the crowd 'Lu'ing' at the start of the game for like a minute or two into the game, but for like the whole game? I think that's sad. Sure he was tossed around here and there, but it's not like he lost his job to Dan Cloutier. Not to mention, he limited our options just as much as Kesler did. For a player that advocates he loves the city and especially the team and fans, he wouldn't have limited his option to Florida, and actually given this team a way better return, most likely.

I have respect for Luongo and still love him, but he was no less of a baby than Kesler was IMO. Luongo got more respect because he was such a key cog to the team, and the numbers he put up with this team when it wasn't very good back when he got here, made everyone fall inlove with him early.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
He put himself above the team and then had the nerve to outright lie to everyone and say that he would do what was best for the team. Be a man and tell us that you're pissed because you haven't been treated fairly or say you're leaving because of personal reasons and leave it at that. He lied to everyone that cheered for the team and luuuuuuuu'd him vigorously to save face. And he loved to cry woe is me to the media. Big ****ing baby.

Can you imagine if he came out and said he was treated unfairly? :laugh:

These players are human. I'm sure you would have handled the situation perfectly.

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011

Didn't know it was tradition to give mercenaries a funeral after death.

Kes would burn bridges and backstab his own teammates if it gave him a chance for a cup.

Lu was in a bit more sympathetic position but the amount of revisionist history being written about him makes him seem like some sort of hero who held the tides against the evil Gillis and co.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Management treated Kesler very well, and at the mere hint of adversity, Kesler fled and willingly screwed the team over in the unnecessary way that he chose to do it. Even after he demanded a trade, management was nothing but professional about it.

Management completely mishandled the goaltending situation and treated Luongo very poorly, and the circumstances drove him to leave in a way are MORE than reasonable-- If anything, I would have had less respect for him if he had just put up with it.

It absolutely makes sense that one is booed and the other is not. Luongo should not be seen in a negative light for the way things ended up in the same way that Bure shouldn't have (people who viewed Bure as some egotistical/selfish traitor or whatever are complete moronic idiots, IMO).

If anything, I applaud the fact that fans are discerning enough not to treat both with equal disdain and can distinguish between the different scenarios rather than be complete homers about it in either direction.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Is Luongo losing starts to a better goalie seen as being treated poorly? Was Kesler treated poorly because Henrik got more ice time? Why should every player on the team have to compete for ice time except Luongo?

Luongo wasn't treated poorly. He wanted to be catered to. He was early in his career here with some mixed results. When the team got away from it he started crying and eventually decided to take his ball and go home. I'm shocked that people are so fooled by a guy that said one thing and did another.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Is Luongo losing starts to a better goalie seen as being treated poorly? Was Kesler treated poorly because Henrik got more ice time? Why should every player on the team have to compete for ice time except Luongo?

Luongo wasn't treated poorly. He wanted to be catered to. He was early in his career here with some mixed results. When the team got away from it he started crying and eventually decided to take his ball and go home. I'm shocked that people are so fooled by a guy that said one thing and did another.

Except he wasn't losing starts to a better goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad