Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Pros:
Leadership
Scoring ability

Cons:
Defensive play
Somewhat cap hit

I like Lupul and think he is a great player for this team, but I think if it came down to it and the Leafs could acquire a similarly skilled defenceman for him, or even a cheaper option to open up some cap space I wouldn't oppose it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
aw, after your last thread, this is disappointing.

I like Lupul, he had a down year but still put up respectable numbers. He will bounce back this year

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
How can you say his leadership? This team has sucked and he's been a major reason why.

Guy plays scared to get hurt.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
aw, after your last thread, this is disappointing.

I like Lupul, he had a down year but still put up respectable numbers. He will bounce back this year

If he can be used to upgrade the D, goodbye.

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
Lupul is a guy we should consider options for. I can't remember the last time we traded a player before the end of his prime. We always trade away players once their value is zero.

If we can get a 1st or a good young player for him, I'd do it. Lupul will be 31 once season starts and the most games he's played in a Leafs uniform is 69 this past year. He's good, but we need a change and he's a guy I'd be willing to move.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Lupul should be traded for a 2nd pairing d-man and then Moulson should be signed for a similar contract in his place IMO. That would be a very smart move if moulson is willing to sign with us.

I dont think he's a core player at all, his defensive woes are exactly why he is constantly traded by other teams, I think they realize what his faults are despite his offensive ability and see him as an expendable but valuable piece.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Pros:
Leadership
Scoring ability

Cons:
Defensive play
Somewhat cap hit

I like Lupul and think he is a great player for this team, but I think if it came down to it and the Leafs could acquire a similarly skilled defenceman for him, or even a cheaper option to open up some cap space I wouldn't oppose it.

My thoughts, fragility is the tipping point, the only way I see Lupul going is in a major deal where he is cap ballast much the way he was acquired.

edwardslane

Aug 6, 2010
a legit 2nd line winger that should put up 50-60 points if he stays healthy.. I'd say he's got 3-4 solid years left in him.

Not sure his value but i mean martin Erat got Nashville Forsburg.. I know nashville fleeced GM George Mcphee on that deal but...

I think Lupul has more value than Martin Erat did at the time of the trade. I think the right team would give us a pick this year in the 12-20 range.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lupul is a good player, he is a proven 67 point winger in 66 GP player. He is close to a 30 goal scorer as there is on this team not named Kessel or JVR.

He gets some blame for last season, but he really did not have line mates that helped him much either.

Sure he is to blame for his own defensive deficiencies, but Kadri and Clarkson were to blame also.

Wouldn't surprise me if he bounced back next year, but is he a 2 way player? Not sure. On a team full of 1 way players it is easy to see him on the trade block, but perhaps he is still a Leaf next year. Wouldn't surprise me.

Probably needs a new Center, the chemistry is not there anymore.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
How could anyone say he has leadership qualities after the season he just had? Pretty much exposed himself as one of the laziest, no heart guys on the roster this season (and that has nothing to do with his points). Midway through the season (about the time he pulled his groin) it looked like he completely gave up. From an outsiders point of view he doesn't seem to be buds with any of the core players either, I remember him actually saying a year or two ago he never contacts Kessel/Bozak/Dion outside of the rink.

It's a tough situation with him, maybe he has a bounce back year to the spark in the line up he was his first two seasons here or maybe he continues to go through the motions and kills his value. Do we have an option to replace this guy outside of somewhat long shots like Leivo?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He can play PPG hockey in the right situation. He is a borderline elite player who unfortunately gets inured often. It's really to bed because the guy is a Gem and should be a leaf. That being said if Randy wants to throw him on his wrong wing and screw him that way his defensive game and play will suffer. Since the coach remains and if he stays we will not see his full potential.

Lupul is still the true best fit for the Bozak Kessel line but people don't see it that way.

JVR actually works just as well with Kadri and people don't see that either.

Fans lose the plot, Randy lost it 3 years ago and the teams in a spiral...again.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
He can play PPG hockey in the right situation. He is a borderline elite player who unfortunately gets inured often. It's really to bed because the guy is a Gem and should be a leaf. That being said if Randy wants to throw him on his wrong wing and screw him that way his defensive game and play will suffer. Since the coach remains and if he stays we will not see his full potential.

Lupul is still the true best fit for the Bozak Kessel line but people don't see it that way.

Fans lose the plot, Randy lost it 3 years ago and the teams in a spiral...again.

JVR is 6-7 years younger then Lupul and just put up a 30-31 season, I fail to see how he'd work better with Kadri considering they have never played together without Kessel. When Kadri centered the top line, Kessel and Kadri seemed to sync right away while JVR became a non factor for several games (meaning Kessel and Kadri had chances every night, while JVR kind of became the 3rd wheel on the line)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Was a big lupul fan but man, what a dud. It may seem like all those injuries finally caught up to the fashionable wannabe model.

Randy was switching his wings all season, he was left right with Clarkson Kules Kadri Bolland. It was a gong show what Randy did. He is the better fit for that top like tbh. JVR is just as good with Kadri

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
The last season definitely didn't help in my opinion of him. The issue really is that the guy is made of glass. You can't rely on him being a key part of the team because you are just waiting for him to get taken out by anything.

Also wonder how good he'll be with Carlyle sticking around. Just don't feel Carlyle gets how to use him properly. Didn't seem to have it figured out in Anaheim and not so much here either.

Wouldn't mind seeing if he'll get it together, but wouldn't mind a move either. He can be really effective when he's out there so it's hard to just throw him away. I expect him to be around next season though.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
perfect example of a player that didn't play unto expectations elsewhere, comes here has a good season and we overpraise, overhype him.

this is not the kind of guy you win with imo.

i hope he gets traded.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
perfect example of a player that didn't play unto expectations elsewhere, comes here has a good season and we overpraise, overhype him.

this is not the kind of guy you win with imo.

i hope he gets traded.

Apparently non of our players are :help:

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
for something good.

he has value. heck, I was a Lupes fan. But he can go in a package for an upgrade to centre or d.

but I think he has been a bit exposed as a one way player that is injury prone and goes cold at times.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

Agreed 100%. Lupul and Kessel together = Two point per game players. Kessel put up equal numbers in his last full season and Lupul was a point per game as well. More points than JVR in 13 less games! It was a really bad defensive line but they were dangerous as hell on the rush.

I'm not sure why Kadri hasn't been tried with JVR, you'd think they would be alright together.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Agreed 100%. Lupul and Kessel together = Two point per game players. Kessel put up equal numbers in his last full season and Lupul was a point per game as well. More points than JVR in 13 less games! It was a really bad defensive line but they were dangerous as hell on the rush.

I'm not sure why Kadri hasn't been tried with JVR, you'd think they would be alright together.
The only way I'd re-consider Lupul on the top line is if we can get Jordan Staal or Sean Couturier via trade. An elite ( or potential) two-way centre in the middle would enable a much more versatile, defensively responsible top line. You can then have a JVR - Kadri pair, but that'd push out Bozak.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

The bolded is not true. You may want to check the stats when they were together, incase you forgot using the eye check.

As for Lupul being a PPG player prior to last year with the Leafs, yes, it is pretty close. And if he bounces back at 30, makes dealing him a tough call. As always, if the return is good, anyone can be dealt on this team.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I loved Lupul pre-injury, but he has not been the same since. As part of a pursuit of a culture change and a better possession-team, I think we'll see him moved out. They could wait to see if he can bounce back though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad