Lupul

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Not a big deal, and I'm usually not a fan of retaining, but I have a two part question assuming we are allowed to retain any more salary: A) With our cap situation would anyone trade Lupul and retain 2 million per year? This would clear room for another prospect... and B) would anyone take him at 5.25 for two years and if so what would the return be?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If scoring keeps dropping leaguewide, maybe some team desperate for scoring might take him if some money is retained. It really doesn't matter whether the Leafs get anything for him.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Steve Simmons today in the Sun:

An NHL scout on Joffrey Lupul: “There’s nothing wrong with his contract. I could live with that. I can’t live with the fact he can’t stay healthy.” ... The same NHL scout on Nazem Kadri: “He’s the kind of player who will always break your heart.” ...

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

An NHL scout on Joffrey Lupul: “There’s nothing wrong with his contract. I could live with that. I can’t live with the fact he can’t stay healthy.†... The same NHL scout on Nazem Kadri: “He’s the kind of player who will always break your heart.†...

The same NHL scout on his job. "I think if we tank another 5 years in a row, the players I scouted will help us make the playoffs, boy Edmonton will just be crazy, oh and my doctor told me I have gout from drinking too much."

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Not a big deal, and I'm usually not a fan of retaining, but I have a two part question assuming we are allowed to retain any more salary: A) With our cap situation would anyone trade Lupul and retain 2 million per year? This would clear room for another prospect... and B) would anyone take him at 5.25 for two years and if so what would the return be?

If this cap site calc is accurate his buy out is

1.5m
3.0m
1.5m
1.5m

that's not terrible

I would consider that IF we had a shot at stammer this summer

I see a 1 year cap bottle neck for 2016/17 season if we try to land stammer.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Retaining salary is better than a buyout.
Agree and uif it comes down to it the Leafs might just have to accept he's here until the end of the contract. Last of the Nonis boat anchor contracts. Hope Newport Sports looked after Dave when the Leafs fired him.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

1. We can presently retain on one more player so doing it on a contract longer than one year would tie our hands on that going forward, though we might arguably not have anyone left that would need retention.

2. I would not retain on him because I would want the flexibility of being able to retain on a Grabner every year.

3. He is pretty much untradeable until the last year of his contract at which time we would retain. There is no urgency to move him as we have plenty of cap room , it is actually entirely possible he will be Captain next year.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

An NHL scout on Joffrey Lupul: “There’s nothing wrong with his contract. I could live with that. I can’t live with the fact he can’t stay healthy.†... The same NHL scout on Nazem Kadri: “He’s the kind of player who will always break your heart.†...

lol Steve Simmons. I can kinda understand the sentiment on Lupul, but "there's nothing with his contract" ?? psh ya right. The Kadri quote is just awful.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
With retaining salary on Kessel, another year of Gleason.....I don't think you consider buying him out at this point. We're stuck with him next year and the year after that, maybe he's tradeable.....or he's a Horton

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
With retaining salary on Kessel, another year of Gleason.....I don't think you consider buying him out at this point. We're stuck with him next year and the year after that, maybe he's tradeable.....or he's a Horton

The Leafs likely aren't worried about cap hit for the next 2-3 years. They may value the extra roster/contract spots more.

FazeLeaf*

What about if Reimer is traded for assets and Bernier is dumped , we trade Lupul for Lehtonen

Ambassador Bridge

Apr 19, 2004
In the off-season waive him. If he gets picked up his salary is off the books. If he doesn't get claimed park him in the minors (a la Wade Redden). He won't be on the salary cap.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
What do we need the space for? I'm not thrilled with the guy, but I don't get why we're desperate to move him.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
A rebuilding, bottom feeding team doesn't need to be thinking buyout.

Worst case, contract expires.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
In the off-season waive him. If he gets picked up his salary is off the books. If he doesn't get claimed park him in the minors (a la Wade Redden). He won't be on the salary cap.

Yes he will. You'll get just under 1M off of the cap. You can't bury contracts anymore. Unless I'm missing something and they changed the rules again which I don't think they have.

Also, what RoadWarrior said. Totally forgot about that.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario

You can't do that anymore. If you send someone down you only get 950K in cap relief.

And for those asking, he has a Limited NTC (14-team trade list)

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You can't do that anymore. If you send someone down you only get 950K in cap relief.

And for those asking, he has a Limited NTC (14-team trade list)

Correct.

We could send him down but we will not. He will be a Leaf until next year's trade deadline at least. His last year's of his contract pays him 3.2m so he may be movable then, or
Next summer to a team that needs to get to the cap floor as his salary is 2m less than his cap hit

Mad Brills*

He'll be bought out or retained salary trade next deadline/summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad