Sportsnet: Lupul was ’50/50′ on his future with Maple Leafs

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Wow, so he wasn't injured? I can't recall a bigger drop off in play ever. Once he got that big money, his modelling became his priority. At his age guys dont find another gear, we can hope he bounces back but he had something to prove(injuries?) 2 years ago. I hope we can find a team that wants him because I would have dumped him last year. If he wasn't injured that was a total disgrace last year. He doesn't like the 24/7 of Toronto but he doesn't mind taking our cash and becoming a GQ cover.

I don't see him bouncing back but rather sulking and asking for a trade to somewhere he can do more modelling. Models dont make good hockey players.

Lundqvist.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
For those that didnt listen to the interview, he was implying that he was 50/50 sure on if he would be traded or not. He wasn't saying he almost left the team or something. He knew big changes were coming and had obviously read the rumours.

I agree, sounds like he was expecting change. And if one player is thinking it, he likely isn't the only one.

And then management's big change was to not bring back Raymond and Kulemin as well as trading Gunnarsson?

I'm not so sure players and management are on the same page.

snizzbone*

I agree, sounds like he was expecting change. And if one player is thinking it, he likely isn't the only one.

And then management's big change was to not bring back Raymond and Kulemin as well as trading Gunnarsson?

I'm not so sure players and management are on the same page.

Well I mean they got new coaches, tons of new management, and signed a boat load of players. Obviously nobody key on the roster was moved but the organization looks a lot different.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Big changes.

I still think Lupul is on his way out. Even if he rebounds and gets say 30 goals, he is still an expensive winger who wont be around when this team starts contending. We have a lot of money tied up in wingers. Id say more like 80/20 he's gone by TD to a contender(i.e Anaheim).Guys like Nylander,Leivo will have his job soon.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's one of the team's best tradeable assets. Would free up cap space, and come the time of the deadline, i'm sure some teams will be desperate for a top sixer.

I do like him as a player though: wouldn't be upset if he played out the rest of his contract here.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Well I mean they got new coaches, tons of new management, and signed a boat load of players. Obviously nobody key on the roster was moved but the organization looks a lot different.

There were lots of changes, but there were many changes in the past too. We've changed coaches in the past. We've changed management in the past. We've moved lesser players in and out. Hasn't worked. I think it was time to make an actual move, and we didn't.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Shanny wants to maximize his assets.

Bozak,Lupul,Phaneuff will all get the most at TD. It looks like he will give this crew one last chance, then when it become obvious the team was misbuilt, blow it up.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Wow, so he wasn't injured? I can't recall a bigger drop off in play ever. Once he got that big money, his modelling became his priority. At his age guys dont find another gear, we can hope he bounces back but he had something to prove(injuries?) 2 years ago. I hope we can find a team that wants him because I would have dumped him last year. If he wasn't injured that was a total disgrace last year. He doesn't like the 24/7 of Toronto but he doesn't mind taking our cash and becoming a GQ cover.

I don't see him bouncing back but rather sulking and asking for a trade to somewhere he can do more modelling. Models dont make good hockey players.

2014/04/12 Missed the last 3 regular season games (knee surgery).
2014/04/07 Knee surgery, sidelined indefinitely.
2014/04/05 Missed 1 game (lower body injury).
2014/04/03 Lower body injury, day-to-day.
2014/01/03 Fined $10,000 by the NHL.
2013/12/10 Missed 7 games (strained groin).
2013/11/28 Strained groin, injured reserve.
2013/11/26 Strained groin, day-to-day.
2013/10/29 Missed 2 games (bruised foot).
2013/10/25 Bruised foot, day-to-day.

The bruised foot and the groin can for sure throw off the return performance if he comes back shy to go 100% off that leg. Not making excuses for him but it is harder to hit a groove if you aren't an explosive skater to begin with and are a bit weak on one side. Just because he is off the DL doesn't make him 100% and he is always coming back from something.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Bozak,Lupul,Phaneuff will all get the most at TD. It looks like he will give this crew one last chance, then when it become obvious the team was misbuilt, blow it up.

It's smarter to build trade value this way than by declaring open season like Cliff Fletcher did and getting nothing in return.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lupul is no dummy.. He knows the Leafs are very top heavy in Cap spending and utilization of Wingers as 5 of the Leafs top 6 Cap forwards are all wingers.

Process of deduction and elimination told Joffrey that wingers are going to be moved out to address the Centre or Defense areas of improvement needs.

He is also the most likely to be at the top of that wingers list as JVR and Kessel are the top line, Clarkson's contract isn't going anywhere and Komarov was just signed.

To Lupul's pleasant surprise the Leafs didn't make any real moves to address the Top 6 forwards or Top 4 Dmen and his 50/50 odds fell in his favour of staying (for now).

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Lupul is no dummy.. He knows the Leafs are very top heavy in Cap spending and utilization of Wingers as 5 of the Leafs top 6 Cap forwards are all wingers.

Process of deduction and elimination told Joffrey that wingers are going to be moved out to address the Centre or Defense areas of improvement needs.

He is also the most likely to be at the top of that wingers list as JVR and Kessel are the top line, Clarkson's contract isn't going anywhere and Komarov was just signed.

To Lupul's pleasant surprise the Leafs didn't make any real moves to address the Top 6 forwards or Top 4 Dmen and his 50/50 odds fell in his favour of staying (for now).

Agreed. If this season goes the way the past few seasons have gone it doesn't look like the upper management is just going to stand idlelly by defending them as they have in the past. Changes are probably coming if we don't improve.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He's one of the team's best tradeable assets. Would free up cap space, and come the time of the deadline, i'm sure some teams will be desperate for a top sixer.

I do like him as a player though: wouldn't be upset if he played out the rest of his contract here.
Going into the offseason and this talk of change we heard, I was surprised that Lupul was not traded.

CalgaryLeaf*

Lupul was a much better player when he played with an edge...Now he is more of a perimeter player who likes to avoid contact...I think all the injuries has made him softer.

Bumping him up to the top line may increase his point total and overall confidence...The better he plays the better the compensation in a trade.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lupul was a much better player when he played with an edge...Now he is more of a perimeter player who likes to avoid contact...I think all the injuries has made him softer.

Bumping him up to the top line may increase his point total and overall confidence...The better he plays the better the compensation in a trade.

Lupul is a good player, if he stays healthy and gets some consistent line mates, I can see him returning to his productive self.

Question is who will be his line mates?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad