Proposal: Lupul to Las Vegas

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Steve Dangle mentioned this possibility on his podcast and it intrigued me. Lupul wasn’t included on the list of NHL players exempt from the expansion draft due to injury, which makes it even more interesting.

To take on the Lupul contract, I would simply ask for one of the expansion-exempt young winger prospects who might be buried on the Leafs depth chart – Johnsson, Timashov and Soshnikov are the names that come to mind. Would Leaf fans be willing to part with one of these three guys to shed that last year of Lupul’s deal?

As far as the expansion draft is concerned, my thought is to take whichever of Rychel/Leivo is exposed – based on what I’ve seen, it seems like it’s almost a 50/50 split amongst their fans on who to protect, but for argument’s sake I’ll say the Leafs protect Rychel. Therefore, I’d prefer we select Leivo.

From there, I guess the only question would be: do we take Leivo in the expansion draft and work out a side deal of Lupul + prospect for Future Considerations? Or do we take Lupul in the expansion draft and do Leivo + prospect for Future Considerations? Taking Lupul in the expansion draft would certain pump up the minimum draft cap hit we're required to take, and allow us to select more young players on cheap deals.

So can we help get Lupul off of Robidas Island and into the desert??

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Personally I don't see why they would use a prospect to get rid of Lupul's contract when by all accounts, we don't really need that cap space this year anyway.

I don't think you want him anyway, dude's made of glass and hasn't played for like 18 months.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Nah. No reason for this. We have so much cap space this off-season AND we can put him on LTIR if **** magically hits the fan.

One more season, we got this.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Personally I don't see why they would use a prospect to get rid of Lupul's contract when by all accounts, we don't really need that cap space this year anyway.

Nah. No reason for this. We have so much cap space this off-season AND we can put him on LTIR if **** magically hits the fan.

One more season, we got this.

I thought the same thing, that's why I was intrigued when Dangle brought it up on his show (he proposed Soshnikov + Lupul for Future Considerations, and his co-hosts agreed). I was kinda hoping the Leafs fans could shed some light on this - is there any reason that you'd need Lupul's cap hit cleared for some off-season spending?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I thought the same thing, that's why I was intrigued when Dangle brought it up on his show (he proposed Soshnikov + Lupul for Future Considerations, and his co-hosts agreed). I was kinda hoping the Leafs fans could shed some light on this - is there any reason that you'd need Lupul's cap hit cleared for some off-season spending?

No reason. His cap can be completely taken off because he's on LTIR. We have so little space on our roster and our only needs are a Top-4 defenseman, a backup goalie, and possibly a 4th line C (that isn't Ben Smith).

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world because a Lupul trade allows the Leafs to pick up cap without having to worry about their ELC bonus carryover for 2018-19.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world because a Lupul trade allows the Leafs to pick up cap without having to worry about their ELC bonus carryover for 2018-19.

I still doubt it will be a huge issue, especially if we move JvR and Bozak in favour of cheaper contracts.

SnipeCelly

Jun 30, 2016
I don't see Vegas making this deal, but I wouldn't be surprised if Arizona tried to trade for Lupul. With some of their dead contracts expiring, they need some new ones to reach the cap floor. But, with the Leaf's cap space, this may also be a reason for them to hold on to him...

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com

I believe the ELC bonus carryover issue was exactly why Dangle proposed the trade.

No reason for Vegas to do this.

I respectfully disagree. I don't see us as a cap team, and taking one year of Lupul to gain a young prospect seems sensible to me. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Lupul pushes for the deal, so that he can actually get a chance to play (whereas Lou will make him sit at home if he stays with the Leafs). Arizona also seems like the other potential landing spot, in that sense.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Leaf fan here. I can see this making sense.
Lupuls contract being gone means we don't have to worry about bonus overages varying over to the next season again.
The rookies this year bonus overages is gonna end up coating is a few million from this year's cap.

I'd do timashov+sosh+lupul + Vegas taking Fehr for a 7th. Leafs gain almost 7 million in cap space, sosh can be replaced internally

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Steve Dangle mentioned this possibility on his podcast and it intrigued me. Lupul wasn’t included on the list of NHL players exempt from the expansion draft due to injury, which makes it even more interesting.

To take on the Lupul contract, I would simply ask for one of the expansion-exempt young winger prospects who might be buried on the Leafs depth chart – Johnsson, Timashov and Soshnikov are the names that come to mind. Would Leaf fans be willing to part with one of these three guys to shed that last year of Lupul’s deal?

As far as the expansion draft is concerned, my thought is to take whichever of Rychel/Leivo is exposed – based on what I’ve seen, it seems like it’s almost a 50/50 split amongst their fans on who to protect, but for argument’s sake I’ll say the Leafs protect Rychel. Therefore, I’d prefer we select Leivo.

From there, I guess the only question would be: do we take Leivo in the expansion draft and work out a side deal of Lupul + prospect for Future Considerations? Or do we take Lupul in the expansion draft and do Leivo + prospect for Future Considerations? Taking Lupul in the expansion draft would certain pump up the minimum draft cap hit we're required to take, and allow us to select more young players on cheap deals.

So can we help get Lupul off of Robidas Island and into the desert??

Problem is, teams will be willing to give up players like you mentioned to Vegas for picking/trading a guy who has a high salary but will actually contribute. Don't think Vegas will be burying contracts like Coyotes do. They have cash. They won't be scared of picking guys like Neal, Helm, etc, who have a high salary but play significant roles.

Just see little incentive for them to do it. Now, a first rounder?? That'd be another story.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If Lou Lamoriello was able to trade Lupul and his contract to Vegas I would be all for it, however if that doesn't happen it's not a problem since next season Lupul is to become a UFA.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
The Leafs want to get rid of Lupul because they had to use the LTIR to stay under the cap this season, meaning all the rookie bonuses they owe ($5.37 million) will count as a cap hit for the 17/18 season. This overage drastically reduces their cap flexibility, so if they have to give up an asset to free Lupul's $5.25 million, it's worth consideration.

David Alter of The Athletic did a story here.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Problem is, teams will be willing to give up players like you mentioned to Vegas for picking/trading a guy who has a high salary but will actually contribute. Don't think Vegas will be burying contracts like Coyotes do. They have cash. They won't be scared of picking guys like Neal, Helm, etc, who have a high salary but play significant roles.

Just see little incentive for them to do it. Now, a first rounder?? That'd be another story.

I'm expecting to pick up some high cost players in the expansion draft (hoping for Boedker and Bobby Ryan), but there's already reports that we're taking the Clarkson contract to get an extra pick + prospect, so I thought I'd take it a step further and try to get Lupul too. As you mentioned, I do believe Arizona will do it too because I think they're going to have more trouble getting to the cap floor than we will, so I wanted to be proactive and make the deal before the Coyotes get a chance. :)

Mike Palmateer

Jun 16, 2017
I seriously doubt Vegas would have ANY interest in Lupul. With that desert heat, he would miss half the season with pulled hair! That's if he doesn't hurt himself boarding a plane for Vegas first.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I'm expecting to pick up some high cost players in the expansion draft (hoping for Boedker and Bobby Ryan), but there's already reports that we're taking the Clarkson contract to get an extra pick + prospect, so I thought I'd take it a step further and try to get Lupul too. As you mentioned, I do believe Arizona will do it too because I think they're going to have more trouble getting to the cap floor than we will, so I wanted to be proactive and make the deal before the Coyotes get a chance. :)

That's a first from Columbus from the reports I think. That's different than a guy like Johnson, who I really like btw, but I'd rather a guy like Boedker who contributes and you still can get assets for him later.

If Leafs give a first, I'd probably do it but for Johnson or Timashov, I'd rather spend the money on assets on the ice.

McPhee has to be like a kid playing NHL17 at this point lol

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
1. You know you have no life when you listen to a Steve Dangle podcast.

2. I have read his articles before he is an idiot with no credibility.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
absolutely not.
no reason to avoid paying Lupul to be IR for another year by giving up a good prospect. $$$ dont mean much to a team like toronto, if it was ottawa, much more likely

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
1. You know you have no life when you listen to a Steve Dangle podcast.

2. I have read his articles before he is an idiot with no credibility.

1) Who are you to judge.

2) He was speculating, he doesn't pretend to have credibility.

Maybe take a step down from that high horse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad