Proposal: Lupul to Arizona?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Seems like some of the dead weight contracts are coming off of Arizona's books this summer.

Arizona fans..

1. Does it look as though the team will hit the floor and doesn't need to do these deals anymore?

2. If Arizona does need to take on some silly contracts, what would be the cost to the Leafs for Arizona to take Lupul?

It's not a huge pressing deal we need to make but it is annoying to deal with his contract. It is just next season at 5.25M cap hit (fully insured).

Thanks

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The Leafs have so much extra cap space, we will probably need him to reach the floor.

Just let the deal expire. No need to give up anything. After next year we only have to worry about Kessel and Horton as dead cap anyways.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Seems like some of the dead weight contracts are coming off of Arizona's books this summer.

Arizona fans..

1. Does it look as though the team will hit the floor and doesn't need to do these deals anymore?

2. If Arizona does need to take on some silly contracts, what would be the cost to the Leafs for Arizona to take Lupul?

It's not a huge pressing deal we need to make but it is annoying to deal with his contract. It is just next season at 5.25M cap hit (fully insured).

Thanks

Doubtful Toronto goes this route. We can sign Shatty for $7M (unlikely), keep both Bozak and JVR (unlikely), sign Zaitsev for a generous $4.5M long term and still have over a $1M in capspace. Can't imagine Leafs taking on more capspace then this scenario.

Don't see the need in wasting a 2nd/3rd to get rid of that contract.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Doubtful Toronto goes this route. We can sign Shatty for $7M (unlikely), keep both Bozak and JVR (unlikely), sign Zaitsev for a generous $4.5M long term and still have over a $1M in capspace. Can't imagine Leafs taking on more capspace then this scenario.

Don't see the need in wasting a 2nd/3rd to get rid of that contract.

Why do the Leafs need to spend assets to move Lupul? Why can't they just wait out his contract?

Lupul's deal still counts in the off-season, if the price isn't substantial, I'd be fine with removing the annoyance but if the 2nd were the asking price, obviously have to take a step back because it wouldn't be worth it.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Do you have any prospect needs?

Would you take someone like (1-2/3 of)

Korostelev/Lindberg/Johnson/Dzierkals/Lindgren

and a 3rd? Or not quite enough?

I don't understand the motive from the Leafs' POV. There's zero cap concerns next season (assuming we can LTIR him) so why would we give up anything at all to shed his contract? Even giving up a 7th round pick is too much as far as I'm concerned because all it's costing is money (not cap) which should be of zero concern to us fans. Unless you have a lot of money invested in MLSE that is :)

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
I don't understand the motive from the Leafs' POV. There's zero cap concerns next season (assuming we can LTIR him) so why would we give up anything at all to shed his contract? Even giving up a 7th round pick is too much as far as I'm concerned because all it's costing is money (not cap) which should be of zero concern to us fans. Unless you have a lot of money invested in MLSE that is :)

Yup...this guy has it nailed. There is zero reason for the Leafs to move Lupul's contract unless Arizona needs to get to the floor and want to give Toronto something in return.

Say..Lupul for a 6th in 2019

If anything...the Leafs can take on a bad contract for a year and gain an asset. They will have between 15-20m in cap space next year.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I'd do a 3rd + a mid end prospect to get rid of him

I'd try to avoid having any players on LTIR for the next couple seasons to avoid bonus overages.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Lupul's deal still counts in the off-season, if the price isn't substantial, I'd be fine with removing the annoyance but if the 2nd were the asking price, obviously have to take a step back because it wouldn't be worth it.

His contract, along with Horton's and Robidas' count all season. Leafs aren't in a LTIR position this season.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
What about Bozak+Lupul for say a 3rd or 4th? Really doesn't look like the Leafs have a need for Bozak with Matthews, Kadri, and Nylander. And with likely losing Hanzal, Bozak would be someone who could play in the top 6 and help to take the pressure of Dvorak and Strome.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I know the Leafs are shedding some salary in the next two years, but they also have to replace this players so it's not they are going to have 35m in cap space as suggested.

The Leafs would love to have all of Marner/Nylander/Matthews bonuses paid in the seasons that they played and not carried forward, so the Leafs wouldn't mind getting rid of Lupul's contract.

Lupul lives in Malibu and I gotta believe he would welcome a move to Phoenix. The only danger to Phoenix if Lupul is labelled fit to play and would it actually cost them money, instead of the phantom cap money.

I don't know how Bozak gets lumped in with Lupul. Until Nylander can prove he can play NHL centre, Bozak is worth keeping for another season. Same with JVR. I not saying resign him. But he might needed this year and next for the Leafs. And people should not worry about them becoming UFAs. UFAs come and go all the time, Leafs might need JVR, Polak and Komarov next season, just like they need Hunwick and Polak this season.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I know the Leafs are shedding some salary in the next two years, but they also have to replace this players so it's not they are going to have 35m in cap space as suggested.

The Leafs would love to have all of Marner/Nylander/Matthews bonuses paid in the seasons that they played and not carried forward, so the Leafs wouldn't mind getting rid of Lupul's contract.

Lupul lives in Malibu and I gotta believe he would welcome a move to Phoenix. The only danger to Phoenix if Lupul is labelled fit to play and would it actually cost them money, instead of the phantom cap money.

I don't know how Bozak gets lumped in with Lupul. Until Nylander can prove he can play NHL centre, Bozak is worth keeping for another season. Same with JVR. I not saying resign him. But he might needed this year and next for the Leafs. And people should not worry about them becoming UFAs. UFAs come and go all the time, Leafs might need JVR, Polak and Komarov next season, just like they need Hunwick and Polak this season.

Don't see it, they'll want him deemed unable to play and just enjoy the benefit of the 5.25M cap hit without paying a cent

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
What about Bozak+Lupul for say a 3rd or 4th? Really doesn't look like the Leafs have a need for Bozak with Matthews, Kadri, and Nylander. And with likely losing Hanzal, Bozak would be someone who could play in the top 6 and help to take the pressure of Dvorak and Strome.

Bozak actually fits a nice role with the Leafs right now. He is signed for another year and after that Nylander likely transitions over to C. But for this year and next...stay put.

Keep Lupul unless Arizona wants to trade Us something for him.

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009
Between Robidas, Polak, Hunwick, Laich, Michalek & Greening, the Leafs already have $17.6M coming off their cap this summer for two bottom-pairing defensemen and a bunch of guys that aren't even on the NHL roster. And the only RFA's that need new contracts are Zach Hyman and Connor Brown.

So really, there's no need at all for the Leafs to give up any kind of value to get Lupul off the books. We can definitely afford to just ride out the final year of his contract.

LoovTrain

Stanley... Come Home
May 6, 2015
Toronto
Between Robidas, Polak, Hunwick, Laich, Michalek & Greening, the Leafs already have $17.6M coming off their cap this summer for two bottom-pairing defensemen and a bunch of guys that aren't even on the NHL roster. And the only RFA's that need new contracts are Zach Hyman and Connor Brown.

So really, there's no need at all for the Leafs to give up any kind of value to get Lupul off the books. We can definitely afford to just ride out the final year of his contract.

Zaitsev is an RFA as well

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2