Proposal: Lupul + N.Horton + JVR for LV 3rd Rounder

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Vegas will trade for Clarkson before they take on Horton. The leafs are probably the only club in the league that can swallow Hortons contract and not be an issue. Toronto is stuck with him.

This just goes to show that leafs are on cloud 9 and the rest are buried in hell. Poor teams. :laugh:

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Unless you hold shares in MLSE, why would you care one bit whatsoever about the non cap counting contracts like Horton and Lupul? Adding a 2032 7th round pick on top of just Horton and Lupul alone is too much as far as I'm concerned because as a fan, these contracts mean absolutely nothing as far as the cap is concerned which is all you should care about. And you want to add in JVR as well!?!

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
There's a lot of competition for the worst trade proposals. This is a true contender.

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
this would make a lot more sense if the leafs were acquiring the 3 players and trading the pick. but this is literally a lose for both teams

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
It only counts until you spend up to the cap and then it goes away.

And when it comes to bonuses I've yet to see a definitive answer

if you have ltir it doesnt save you a penny until you are over the cap... so expect your cap to be maxed out (cap is calculated daily so its a bit more complicated but this much ltir pretty much maxes your cap)

bonuses that arent reached until end of year can be a problem for these sorts of situations.

that said, toronto gets away with crap and lou gets away with even more. im sure this will workout

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Maximum actual dollars retained. No cap retained.

Double-helps Vegas get to the cap floor and gives them a stud winger to start with.

Leafs get a whole lot of freedom.

So this works out to LV paying $25 million and a 3rd for one year of JVR. I don't know if any team goes for that or not. I don't think LV is going to be a cash poor team looking to artificially reach the cap floor, I think they are going to pay money to players that they want and get to the cap floor without any "help" like that.

It isn't like JVR is a player they would build around. He would most likely be there 1 year and then go to UFA.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Would leafs just bury them? It doesn't affect their cap. Selling low on JVR. Op didn't think this through.

LoovTrain

Stanley... Come Home
May 6, 2015
Toronto
OP... you should really think before you post something as uninformed and ill-conceived as this.

Totally embarassing.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think the OP also doesn't understand how LTIR works.

Vegas isn't taking $11M of dead weight fir forever for a Ufa to be and they have to give up a 3rd.

You have to remember starting out after expansion draft vegas actually won't have that much cap space. Likely atound $66M. In 3 years as they start developing their system projects is more around the time they could use dead weight.

ThrillinPhil

Tdot.
Jan 9, 2011
How does this helps the Leafs? Horton and Lupul just get thrown on Robidas island with no penalty against the cap!

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Las Vegas will have no trouble whatsoever getting to the cap floor, without taking on the contracts of Lupul, and Horton.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
if you have ltir it doesnt save you a penny until you are over the cap... so expect your cap to be maxed out (cap is calculated daily so its a bit more complicated but this much ltir pretty much maxes your cap)

bonuses that arent reached until end of year can be a problem for these sorts of situations.

that said, toronto gets away with crap and lou gets away with even more. im sure this will workout

What exactly do the Leafs and Lou get away with?????????????

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad