Proposal: Lupul + N.Horton + JVR for LV 3rd Rounder

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
And how Leafs are going to sweeten that deal to make it attractive to LV? I mean no one is so stupid to take all those contracts.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Maximum actual dollars retained. No cap retained.

Double-helps Vegas get to the cap floor and gives them a stud winger to start with.

Leafs get a whole lot of freedom.

Salary and cap are the same thing when it comes to retention. If you retain 50% salary, you are also retaining 50% of the cap hit.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Double-helps Vegas get to the cap floor and gives them a stud winger to start with.

What the hell is this ****?!
Why would the Leafs trade JVR for nothing, just to dump two expiring contracts that are on LTIR (ie. Don't count against the cap)?

Honestly, one of the most poorly thought out proposals I've seen. Congrats.

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
Vegas who probably be more interested in good prospects and picks to help them build a decent team than 1 year of JVR who might want to walk away after this upcoming season and they'll be stuck paying Horton for 2 more years after that. Makes no sense for them.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Why? Would Vegas be interested in taking on two guys whom are never going to play again plus JVR and surrender a 3rd rounder to the Leafs. Pretty sure once McPhee gets his 30 players one from each team plus free agency i doubt he will have problems making it to the cap floor.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Problem here is Horton has no insurance so you are also paying out of your pocket which is a huge thing that there are not too many teams willing to do and I can't see LV doing that

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
What the hell is this ****?!
Why would the Leafs trade JVR for nothing, just to dump two expiring contracts that are on LTIR (ie. Don't count against the cap)?

Honestly, one of the most poorly thought out proposals I've seen. Congrats.

LTIR does count against the cap and screw the team on bonuses

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
If they do something like this they are going to want to have a deal in place to move JVR or picks and assets

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Vegas will trade for Clarkson before they take on Horton. The leafs are probably the only club in the league that can swallow Hortons contract and not be an issue. Toronto is stuck with him.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
LTIR does count against the cap and screw the team on bonuses

It only counts until you spend up to the cap and then it goes away.

And when it comes to bonuses I've yet to see a definitive answer

What happens if a player is injured long-term (LTIR)?
If a player is considered to have a long-term injury (causing them to miss a minimum of 10 games and 24 days), they can be placed on the Long-Term Injury Reserve (LTIR), which can be used to receive cap relief.

While placing a player on the LTIR does not remove the player’s Salary Cap Hit from the overall team cap, it does provide the team relief if the team’s total average Salary Cap exceeds the upper Salary Cap Ceiling. More details are available at the LTIR FAQ.

Once an injured player returns to the team from the LTIR, the team must reduce its average salary cap to below the Salary Cap Ceiling before they may remove the player from the LTIR.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don't see why Toronto needs to trade Horton, given that he is on LTIR, he really doesn't effect their cap situation

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Doubt that McPhee is going to take on Lupol and Horton without Lou adding a bigger sweetener to the deal and one year of JVR isn't enough he will have plenty to add then not making it to the cap floor so Horton and Lupol isn't a need and besides no way is McPhee going to help Lou here.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

lupul and horton dont affect our cap, so why are giving up JVR for a 3rd round pick? we are a team that doesnt need to make these kinds of moves, actual $ arent an issue for us. Basically you handing them JVR for a 3rd that is ridiculous

edit: Lupul only has 1 more year for crying out loud we currently have $12M in cap space and all we NEED is a 4C and a backup goalie, obviously we would llike a top4 D also. What a stupid idea for a trade

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
The ****? Why would we trade JvR for free? Those contracts are irrelevant to us. Absolutely no negative value. We aren't poor like the rest of the teams in the league.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
This is hands down one of the worst trade proposals I've ever seen. Horton doesn't even count against the cap, and Lupul has two seasons left on LTIR. I don't understand what the endgame is here.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Lmao, Vegas isn't going to pay Horton 25m+ dollars just so they can rent JVR for a little while, give your head a shake

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

How does this give the Leafs any additional freedom?

Horton and Lupul are LTIR, and they don't care about paying the salaries and using the extra cap space to go over, so essentially this is JVR for a 3rd, which is awful for us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad