Line Combos: Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
JVR-Bozak-Kessel (Not an amazing fist line but a decent one, gets the job done, if Bozak and JVR improve their offense (JVR certainly will, he's very skilled player, but bozak is sketchy) then it could become a great first line.. They can provide great offense off the rush since this line consists of 3 very fast skaters..

Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson is what will make our top 6 amazing, that's a lot of talent on a line for teams secondary defensive units to handle, and this line will be a huge problem for teams that don't have big tough defensemen to handle this line..

McClement/Colborne-Bolland-Kulemin should be a spectacular shut-down line, Carlyle loves strong checking lines and uses them very well (See: Anaheim cup run in 2007), I don't expect a lot of out of them offensively but they don't need to put up goals to be valuable..

The 4th line will probably be McClement or Colborne and Carlyles beloved face-punchers.. Luckily our top 3 lines should all be capable of playing big minutes so we shouldn't need to rely on the 4th line very much if at all..

Our defense is kind of sketchy, but it has potential to be great if things can work out..

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson is capable of shutting down teams top lines, it's not an amazing shutdown pairing but it can do the job.. they are prone to some breakdowns though...

Ranger-Gardiner - I think this paring will be amazing, if Gardiner plays up to his potential this year he can be a huge x-factor for the defense, Ranger himself can also be a huge x-factor if he can bring the game he had in Tampa (he was their #2 defensemen there)

Fraser-Franson - This pairing worked excellent last year for the role they were assigned to, they are not up against team's top lines, and Franson provides excellent offense and Fraser plays a very physical game and he's very good at intimidation games.. Not to mention these guys are HUGE (Fraser 6'4" and Franson 6'5")

This team has LOADS of potential, if they can play up to it then this will be the best team we've had in a LONG time..

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Lucic -- Krecji -- Horton line was a force in last years playoffs leading their team to the Cup finals.

The Lupul -- Kardi -- Clarkson combo is a similar style version of that trio in abilities as a unit.

It has the potential to be really good if they find the proper chemistry together.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Colborne-Bolland-Kulemin
McLaren-McClement-Orr

Gunnar-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Ranger
Fraser-Franson (or MoRiles if Franson on the sideline)

Bernier
Reimer

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
The Lucic -- Krecji -- Horton line was a force in last years playoffs leading their team to the Cup finals.

The Lupul -- Kardi -- Clarkson combo is a similar style version of that trio in abilities as a unit.

It has the potential to be really good if they find the proper chemistry together.
So does Bolland on Kadri's wing. It could resemble the Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin/ Jagr line. Kulemin as a third partner, for instance, can create a rather capable two-way line. That kind of Bergeron/ Datsyuk/ Plekanec/ Turris-type of "elite" shut down line would be nice to have.

Something like...

JVR - Bozak - Kessel ( Top Scoring line)
Bolland - Kadri - Kulemin ( Two-Way)
Lupul - Colborne - Clarkson ( Sheltered)
D'Amigo - McClement - Orr
McLaren

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
JVR-Bozak-Kessel (Not an amazing fist line but a decent one, gets the job done, if Bozak and JVR improve their offense (JVR certainly will, he's very skilled player, but bozak is sketchy) then it could become a great first line.. They can provide great offense off the rush since this line consists of 3 very fast skaters..

Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson is what will make our top 6 amazing, that's a lot of talent on a line for teams secondary defensive units to handle, and this line will be a huge problem for teams that don't have big tough defensemen to handle this line..

McClement/Colborne-Bolland-Kulemin should be a spectacular shut-down line, Carlyle loves strong checking lines and uses them very well (See: Anaheim cup run in 2007), I don't expect a lot of out of them offensively but they don't need to put up goals to be valuable..

The 4th line will probably be McClement or Colborne and Carlyles beloved face-punchers.. Luckily our top 3 lines should all be capable of playing big minutes so we shouldn't need to rely on the 4th line very much if at all..

Our defense is kind of sketchy, but it has potential to be great if things can work out..

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson is capable of shutting down teams top lines, it's not an amazing shutdown pairing but it can do the job.. they are prone to some breakdowns though...

Ranger-Gardiner - I think this paring will be amazing, if Gardiner plays up to his potential this year he can be a huge x-factor for the defense, Ranger himself can also be a huge x-factor if he can bring the game he had in Tampa (he was their #2 defensemen there)

Fraser-Franson - This pairing worked excellent last year for the role they were assigned to, they are not up against team's top lines, and Franson provides excellent offense and Fraser plays a very physical game and he's very good at intimidation games.. Not to mention these guys are HUGE (Fraser 6'4" and Franson 6'5")

This team has LOADS of potential, if they can play up to it then this will be the best team we've had in a LONG time..

Sorry, but any time you have a player that plays at over a point per game on your first line, you have a great first line. Throw in JVR who will likely get 60-75 points this year, definitely score 30 goals, and thats a great line, regardless how piss poor the centerman is

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
This line concerns me for 3 reasons.

1) Lupul's health issues.
2) I don't think Kadri will perform as good as last year. He was showing signs of slowing down at the end of last season.
3) I don't think Clarkson is a very good hockey player.

Yeah, this line kinda looks good on paper, but there is definite concerns to be had about all 3 of them.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
I think this is the perfect line in the offensive zone. Lupul and Kadri have proven chemistry and playing with a guy like Clarkson who's willing to go into the corners hard, has that physical presence and is good in front of the net is key.

I saw someone say that Clarkson is slow compared to the other 2 "speedsters", are you serious? Kadri and Lupul don't play a speed game, they play a smart quick game. Neither of them are particularly fast players. Clarkson will open up space and surely gives Kadri a secondary option on that line. I think it's a great line offesnively.

My biggest concern with that line is in the defensive zone. Not a single forward there is above average in the defensive zone. That can be a major concern but all Lupul & Kadri are two of our better possession players and Clarkson battling could keep the puck out of our own zone.

This will be our #1 option for offensive zone faceoffs, defensive zone faceoffs not so much.

I think our lines should be the following if we don't sign Raymond:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
McClement - Bolland - Kulemin
D'Amigo - Colborne - Orr/McLaren

I think our lines should be the following if we do sign Raymond:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Raymond - Bolland - Kulemin
McClement - Colborne - Orr/McLaren

The only difference is Raymond on the 3rd line for McClement, D'Amigo is replaced by McClement.

Suprisingly enough you could make a case for the first line to get the lions share of non priority defensive zone faceoffs. With kessel on the line and bozak being a top faceoff man, you could get lots of quality breakouts with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad