Line Combos: Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I just wanted to see what everyone thinks about the most likely second line:

Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson

I am personally really excited for this.

All three of these players can be really physical and put up points.

This line will be a brutal to play against for most teams.

Ace88*

Honestly, unless Clarkson parks his ass in front of the net and stays there, he is going to be noticeably behind the other two. He is not fast or agile like Kadri or Lupul and might even bring the other two down if he starts trying to do too much (something he got infamy for in NJ after his 30 goal season). I mean i hope im wrong, but just the kind of player he is limits his usefulness to that line.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Honestly, unless Clarkson parks his ass in front of the net and stays there, he is going to be noticeably behind the other two. He is not fast or agile like Kadri or Lupul and might even bring the other two down if he starts trying to do too much (something he got infamy for in NJ after his 30 goal season). I mean i hope im wrong, but just the kind of player he is limits his usefulness to that line.

Disagree with you completely on this.

A good line has a combination of everything, not three perimeter speedsters... Imagine a line with 3 Kadris or 3 Kessels... It would look like 4 on 4 overtime

Clarkson isn't a guy who will get involved off the rush, he's not that type of guy. He's the one who works his ass off to get possession in the D zone and gets it up to the "skill" guys. He's the one who follows up the play and crashes the net, and also the one who parks himself in front and works the cycle.

Hell fit in on any line

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd love for that line to click. Clarkson and Kadri together could be something pretty great if it works out.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
[comment deleted like an Ottawa Alfredsson jersey]

Last edited:

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
im drooling at the potential this line has.
Kadri and Lupul had great chemistry last year (even though only for a short period of time). Clarkson will bring the sand paper to that line (winning board battles, digging the puck out of the corners, putting pressure on the other teams D)
Clarkson will really open up the ice for Kadri and Lupul's skill to shine through

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Clarkson makes too much for 3rd line duty.

Pencil him at $5.25M he makes way too much for checking duties.The point is Kadri and Lupul are fast,it wont matter if Clarkson lags. He was brought in to add jam and score some timely goals. His job will be to reek havoc in front of the net while Lupul and Kadri fly around. I remember the Williams,Sittler,Mcdonald line worked just fine.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I'd actually like to see Lupul put back with Bozak and Kessel. One scoring line to attack with speed.

Then JVR-Kadri-Clarkson. A 2nd line to attack with decent speed but more importantly than has 2 big wingers who can cycle together.

Then a 3rd line of Bolland-Kulemin and either Colborne or Raymond for defensive/shutdown purposes.

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
I think this will be a sick line tbh. Calrkson WILL be parked in front of the net, will go in the corners and both he and Lupes will free Naz up to realize his scoring potential. Feeling really good about our top three lines ability to put up points this year!

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
if we do go lup bozie kessel
we can go jvr kadri clarkson

OVERPOWERED

tho some would argue jvr deserves #1 line

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
if we do go lup bozie kessel
we can go jvr kadri clarkson

OVERPOWERED

tho some would argue jvr deserves #1 line

As long as he gets his minutes I don't care if he plays the 1st line or 2nd line. Only HF do the top 3 forwards have to play together on a team.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
You need a physical element next to Kadri to let him truly play his game without fear of backlash. Clarkson should be a welcomed addition to that line.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Clarkson has enough finishing ability to complement Kadri. Positioning will b key for him

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

I think Clarkson is a great fit for Kadri's line. While the Kessel line relies on breakaway speed, Kadri likes to take the puck East and West, which allows a guy like Clarkson time to set up shop in front of the net. Maybe if he was the first pass option I might be skeptical, but then you have Joffery freaking Lupul on the other side as your primary option.

On top of that, having Clarkson as a bodyguard allows Kadri's pest game to soar to new heights.

Last edited:

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
I love this line... I think Clarkson will be successful with Kadri feeding him around the net and that's a pretty gritty line

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

He's scored as much or more in the last two seasons as the other guys who played with Kadri and Lupul last year, MacAuthur, Kulemin and Frattin. I don't see any reason to think he'd be any more of a drag, especially since his style of play should open up some more ice than those guys could.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad