News Article: Lupul appears to challenge heckler to charity fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's smart for challenging a fan that has no chance at defending himself against a professional athlete?

Okay. :facepalm:

It is not wise to challenge anyone to a fight, Lupul could have unknowingly challenged a MMA fighter.

Really why would anyone have any sympathy for the tweeter? or both. Except I think we can both agree no one should accept an obscene tweet like that and hide behind a keyboard. I think what bothers Lupul the most is this guy doesn't even want to take responsibility for his actions. If he did, we wouldn't be still talking about this.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
It is not wise to challenge anyone to a fight, Lupul could have unknowingly challenged a MMA fighter.

Really why would anyone have any sympathy for the tweeter? or both. Except I think we can both agree no one should accept an obscene tweet like that and hide behind a keyboard. I think what bothers Lupul the most is this guy doesn't even want to take responsibility for his actions. If he did, we wouldn't be still talking about this.

So... Remind me why you said he was smart again?

Mar 14, 2011
Can't believe how happy I was a couple years ago when the Leafs traded a struggling, top pairing Dman in Beauchemin for what would become 2 of the biggest headache on this team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Best part of that article is the last paragraph.

#soonstammersoon

Stamkos talks like he's an ex-Leaf sometimes. Speaks with a weird familiarity with this team and city in a way most Toronto born players don't even.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
He saw his pic with JT probably and knew he could take him. For charity supposedly.

Our next PM probably fought another MP and won, if it is good enough for the future prime minister of Canada….
Well let me tell you my opinion on this matter.

Lupul is a professional athlete. He plays for one of the most prestigious hockey teams in NHL history. He is supposed to be part of the leadership of this team. Someone in his position ought to be more disciplined and act like a true professional when someone is heckling them on instagram. Instead he acts like a baby and challenges some internet troll to a fight. Do you not see how incredibly ridiculous that is?

It bugs me when you call him smart for challenging a guy to a fight after there was a photo of him with JT that shows that he would not even be able to defend himself against a pro athlete like Lupul.

I don't have sympathy for the tweeter/instagram troll, I just think that Lupul showed a lack of class for being able to handle the situation in a professional manor.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Well let me tell you my opinion on this matter.

Lupul is a professional athlete. He plays for one of the most prestigious hockey teams in NHL history. He is supposed to be part of the leadership of this team. Someone in his position ought to be more disciplined and act like a true professional when someone is heckling them on instagram. Instead he acts like a baby and challenges some internet troll to a fight. Do you not see how incredibly ridiculous that is?

It bugs me when you call him smart for challenging a guy to a fight after there was a photo of him with JT that shows that he would not even be able to defend himself against a pro athlete like Lupul.

I don't have sympathy for the tweeter/instagram troll, I just think that Lupul showed a lack of class for being able to handle the situation in a professional manor.

Lupul is Lupul, I am not going to defend his actions on twitter, but I certainly do not blame him for wanting to do what men do at times. The guy didn't apologize or show any remorse. Maybe the offensive tweeter will now think twice about what he tweets before he hits the send button.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I can get being frustrated by things and certainly twitter is a bit of a mess in terms of comments.

But at some point have to shut it out. People are frustrated and the failure of this group is at the core of it. Better for Lupul to ignore it and just keep playing until he gets shipped out.

Plus yeah, he'd probably get hurt on his way to any fight so best to settle down.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Lupul is Lupul, I am not going to defend his actions on twitter, but I certainly do not blame him for wanting to do what men do at times. The guy didn't apologize or show any remorse. Maybe the offensive tweeter will now think twice about what he tweets before he hits the send button.

Oh give me a break, that's only going to encourage social media trolls. You think people are going to be scared of big bad charity fighter lupul now? Lupul has made himself look like a joke. And our organization that he represents.

Don't dismiss this as wanting to do what men do at times. What a load of BS. he's a pro athlete, he has to conduct himself accordingly. It wouldn't even be a real fight. Lupul would likely seriously injure him.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Your team stinks and you're concerned over Twitter(and probably modelling too). Can't wait till this guy is gone in all honesty.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Stamkos talks like he's an ex-Leaf sometimes. Speaks with a weird familiarity with this team and city in a way most Toronto born players don't even.

I've heard from many people that off the record he indicates he loves the Leafs and wants to be here. We all know come contract time most guys re-sign though(I'm not the type to get my hopes up for anyone signing here).

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The person Lupul challenged to a fight is not the person who's twitter post was shown on TSN....two separate people.

Lupul needs to get a grip....shut down his social media accounts and concentrate on his job.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
And just a month or so ago I was saying to a few of my buddies "If he wasn't so injury prone, I would instantly pick him to be our next Captain when Phaneuf eventually gets traded in the offseason"

Boy do I feel stupid for saying this now!!:shakehead :shakehead:

I always laughed at people that were saying Lupul should be captain, most of this board...

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
gotta questions his motives here.. just let the lawyers do their thing and mind your own business and focus on playing hockey ffs.. Lupes has turned so soft during his time here
Yeah exactly why not fight on the ice with the maple leafs? How dull and dumb can our leafs even be... in these games there's nothing going on, but instead......

Rufio65*

Lupul is an embarrassment. There is no other way to put it. I'm sure that there a number of fans that could speed bag Lupul (myself included).

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Lupul is turning a little TMZ himself these days. The guy needs to be traded somewhere and just focus on his sport. Or maybe he's got a future in reality tv one day.

Exactly

I wish the media would just ignore the Leafs right now.

#NooneCares

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Meh. The guy is frustrated, things are going bad for him on and off the ice and he reacts in a bad way, like most of us would. That he gets rich playing hockey doesn't make him less human.

Doesn't really change my opinion about him one way or another, and I don't think it should.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
That would be quite funny actually. Lupul gets hurt because, well, it is something physical. Lupul then learns that any money he won in the lawsuit is more then off set by loss of wages because the Leafs/insurance will not pay him if he did something so stupid outside of his hockey career.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Meh. The guy is frustrated, things are going bad for him on and off the ice and he reacts in a bad way, like most of us would. That he gets rich playing hockey doesn't make him less human.

Doesn't really change my opinion about him one way or another, and I don't think it should.

Be a professional and take the high road
Sundin did it for years despite constant criticism

Move him and Kessel out as fast as you can

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Lupul is an embarrassment to this team and franchise. Also I've read some of these Stamkos posts, let's be real for a minute even if he came here, he would be ripped apart night in and night because he's soft, he was a -1, little things that we also go on about in this city and in the media and with our fan base. Let's not act like we would all of a sudden change. Look what we did to Sundin! every night there would be people ripping him because he didn't plow someone into the boards or they thought he wasn't a true #1 C because he's not "Dougy* Trust me Stamkos would be treated like every other big name that's played for this team. Even Dion, big name from the Flames we were parading him around, and actually were chanting his name after his first shift when he fought Colin White..now look at him, he's enemy #. People rip his contract and his play..it's ridiculous. Stamkos would be treated like **** here.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
we don't appreciate big name players. We love our 3rd and 4th liners but bring in a big name here and he's immediately put under the microscope and chewed up and spat out.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
we don't appreciate big name players. We love our 3rd and 4th liners but bring in a big name here and he's immediately put under the microscope and chewed up and spat out.

Hes putting himself under a microscope...

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I can just see Lupul before the fight.

"Before we start, let's set the ground rules. Rule #1: No touching of the hair or face".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad