luongo or dipietro

Status
Not open for further replies.

little a from da bx

Jun 18, 2004
i would choose luongo, the guy is and will continue to be a superstar and will adventually take fla very far, i only bring up this thread because nyi got rid of luongo , now have dipietro. do u think they some what regret it? i do in a way, i think the deal was parrish and kvasha to nyi for jokinen and luongo,maybe a draft pick or something added in i dont exactly know. i will say one thing fla were the winners out of that deal, kvasha sucks they are still waiting for him to break out, which will never happen. parrish good can score 20 some odd goals a year but useless other wise, and well enough said about jokinen becoming of of the leagues top line centres and luongo well watch him play and he speaks for him self

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
little a from da bx said:
i would choose luongo, the guy is and will continue to be a superstar and will adventually take fla very far, i only bring up this thread because nyi got rid of luongo , now have dipietro. do u think they some what regret it? i do in a way, i think the deal was parrish and kvasha to nyi for jokinen and luongo,maybe a draft pick or something added in i dont exactly know. i will say one thing fla were the winners out of that deal, kvasha sucks they are still waiting for him to break out, which will never happen. parrish good can score 20 some odd goals a year but useless other wise, and well enough said about jokinen becoming of of the leagues top line centres and luongo well watch him play and he speaks for him self

I'd rather have Luongo.He's got 180 more nhl games under his belt then DiPietro.
and if the isles don't move Luongo,that would have allowed them to take Gaborik who their scouts loved.

27 yr old Parrish's scored 26,24,17,30,26, and 24 goals the last 6 nhl seasons while taking a physical beating parked in front of the opposition net.Yeah that's pretty useless :lol:

25 yr old Jokenin's scored 9,11,6,9,36 and 26 goals the last 6 nhl seasons.Very impressive the way Jokenin's picked up his scoring the last 2 yrs.

btw,25 yr old Kvasha's coming off his first season of at least 50 pts.When Yashin went out for 12/13 weeks he stepped up as the #1 center.Saying he sucks and the isles are still waiting for him to break out,that it'll never happen..makes you look clueless.Maybe if he was coming off a season that the isles weren't happy with,your comment would make sense.It doesn't.

cstu

May 6, 2004

It's pretty obvious. Everyone on these boards knows that NYI took it from behind on that deal, and anyone who would take DiPietro over Luongo at this point needs to give their head a shake.

aaronm_88

May 17, 2004
That was probably the worst deal made by a GM I can ever remember...Not only did the Islanders give up Luongo who I'd take miles ahead of Dipietro the also picked up Jokinen who is better than both Kvasha and Parrish...and why did the Islanders do this?? So they could take Rick Dipietro ahead of Dany Heatley :dunno:

So if Milbury played his cards right he'd be looking at a roster featuring Luongo and Heatley at the moment...not bad in my opinion

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Let's see, in all the Islanders could've had Loungo, Heatley, and Spezza, 3 future Cup winning building blocks, instead they ended up with Dipietro, Kvasha, Parrish and Yashin. Some of the worst moves ever made by a GM, and moves that would've spelt the end of any GM in the NHL. Milbury must have something on the Islanders ownership to have kept his job this long.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Scottkmlps said:
Let's see, in all the Islanders could've had Loungo, Heatley, and Spezza, 3 future Cup winning building blocks, instead they ended up with Dipietro, Kvasha, Parrish and Yashin. Some of the worst moves ever made by a GM, and moves that would've spelt the end of any GM in the NHL. Milbury must have something on the Islanders ownership to have kept his job this long.

And Chara. They could also still have Bertuzzi, Redden, McCabe...plenty others. This topic has been beaten like the skinny kid at fat camp.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Luongo & Jokinen, Heatley/Gaborik/Klesla/(and even Dipietro if you wanted, after all the 1st pick overall wasn't dealt, or any guy in the 00 draft)

or

Kvasha & Parish, Heatley/Gaborik/Klesla/DiPietro or any guy in the 00 draft.

Now the trade is plain and simple Kvasha and Parish vs Luongo and Jokinen. I'd take the latter duo.

But Luongo was traded to allow them to pick DiPietro. And you argue who would you rather have. Luongo easily.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
Mikos87 said:
Now the trade is plain and simple Kvasha and Parish vs Luongo and Jokinen. I'd take the latter duo.

Kvasha and Parrish: 6 playoff appearances between them as Islanders
Luongo and Jokinen: 0 playoff appearances between them as Panthers

Stats are great. Winning is better.

CoolburnIsGone

I really don't think this trade was that simple at the time it was made. I'm not saying it wasn't a bad trade but I tried to see the rationale from the Isles side of it. They probably felt that Dipietro would be a quality NHL starting goaltender about the same time as Luongo (less development time needed). Up until last season, Luongo has just been living on "potential" and not production. And he still gives up big rebounds so his game can still be rounded out some more. Then talk about Jokinen, up until Keenan got a hold of him, he was a bust with his most goals in a season being 9. Last season, he had just 7 points more than Kvasha and that seems more like an average season for both players (with Kvasha being younger). Parrish has scored 20+ goals every season he's been in the NHL except for his 1st on the island. So the Islanders got 2 players capable of scoring 50 pts/season (approx) and a starting goalie. And the Panthers got 1 player capable of scoring 50 pts/season (approx) and a starting goalie. The only difference is what the Isles could've had which is one player capable of scoring 50 pts/season, one superstar capable of 80+ pts/season and a starting goalie.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
DarkHorse said:

With First round elimination and little hope and promise in sight, vs a very young up and coming and highly skilled team. Lets give this a couple of more years. If you thought people were stunned when the Coyotes picked Wheeler, remind yourself of how stunned eveyone was when the deal was announced in 00 draft.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Mikos87 said:
With First round elimination and little hope and promise in sight, .

I realize that reading up on other team's prospects aren't a lot of fun unless you're discussing them in a potential trade,but while the isles don't have a lot of prospects,the scouts are saying they have some quality ones and i don't agree that there's little hope and promise in sight.

Isles have several young players on their nhl roster who are developing and producing.

19 yr old Nilsson-He has 1st line potential. It's his consistency and effort he has to raise.He's switched teams and will play for Djurgardens this season.

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=352
Nilsson is extremely gifted offensively. He can do pretty much anything with the puck and combines a pretty good skating technique with fine technical skills, excellent passes and tremendous hockey sense.

23 yr old Caldwell-Top 4 potential. Had a breakout senior season,captaining DU to the NCAA championship.Was the 1st or 2nd highest scoring college defensemen.

19 yr old Bergenhiem was ranked 38th out of 100 top prospects by THN.Gms and scouts were the ones polled.

19 yr old Jeremy Colliton captained the Prince Albert Raiders this yr.Won a gold medal with Canada's U-18 team,at the IIHF World under 18 Championship in Russia.

19 yr old Tunik has top 6 potential.A month before he was drafted,Woodlief wrote he could go in the first half of the first round.
russianprospects.com

19 yr old Cherynk's projected to be at worst be a highly skilled 3rd liner.He's small at 6'1 175 lbs.Played on the 3rd line this past season.Kallurs very high on him.
russianprospects.com

19 Gervais who was captain of St-Bruno, Que.,

20 yr old Franz Neilsen.It's rumored that the isles want him to come over to NA now.

18 yr old Petteri Nokelainen has top 6 potential.#29 in this link.

17 yr old Wes O'Neill is longterm project with very good skill.The isles think he'll need four yrs of college to developed,but will be a top 4 defensemen.

18 yr old Ogorodnikov's very skilled but like Cherynk not very big

Last edited:

cstu

May 6, 2004
DarkHorse said:

Ridiculous. Milbury can keep his "6 playoff appearances", because with the core of young talent Florida has (Luongo, Bouwmeester, Jokinen, Stewart, Horton, et al.), they are going to do a lot more damage in the playoffs than the one-and-done Isles of late.

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
cds said:
Ridiculous. Milbury can keep his "6 playoff appearances", because with the core of young talent Florida has (Luongo, Bouwmeester, Jokinen, Stewart, Horton, et al.), they are going to do a lot more damage in the playoffs than the one-and-done Isles of late.

Indeed.

little a from da bx

Jun 18, 2004
CREW99AW said:
I realize that reading up on other team's prospects aren't a lot of fun unless you're discussing them in a potential trade,but while the isles don't have a lot of prospects,the scouts are saying they have some quality ones and i don't agree that there's little hope and promise in sight.

Isles have several young players on their nhl roster who are developing and producing.

19 yr old Nilsson-He has 1st line potential. It's his consistency and effort he has to raise.He's switched teams and will play for Djurgardens this season.

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=352
Nilsson is extremely gifted offensively. He can do pretty much anything with the puck and combines a pretty good skating technique with fine technical skills, excellent passes and tremendous hockey sense.

23 yr old Caldwell-Top 4 potential. Had a breakout senior season,captaining DU to the NCAA championship.Was the 1st or 2nd highest scoring college defensemen.

19 yr old Bergenhiem was ranked 38th out of 100 top prospects by THN.Gms and scouts were the ones polled.

19 yr old Jeremy Colliton captained the Prince Albert Raiders this yr.Won a gold medal with Canada's U-18 team,at the IIHF World under 18 Championship in Russia.

19 yr old Tunik has top 6 potential.A month before he was drafted,Woodlief wrote he could go in the first half of the first round.
russianprospects.com

19 yr old Cherynk's projected to be at worst be a highly skilled 3rd liner.He's small at 6'1 175 lbs.Played on the 3rd line this past season.Kallurs very high on him.
russianprospects.com

19 Gervais who was captain of St-Bruno, Que.,

20 yr old Franz Neilsen.It's rumored that the isles want him to come over to NA now.

18 yr old Petteri Nokelainen has top 6 potential.#29 in this link.

17 yr old Wes O'Neill is longterm project with very good skill.The isles think he'll need four yrs of college to developed,but will be a top 4 defensemen.

18 yr old Ogorodnikov's very skilled but like Cherynk not very big
ok and how many will be in the hl, every teamhas great prospects but how many will be nhl; material, can they score at the nl level thats the ? who cares what they do in juniors really.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

I'm sure everyone is raving over that list. Nilsson is someone who I like very much, but he has many issues regarding his character so far. Leaving Sweden to play in the Swiss league.

The others I can't say I know much about, but I've never heard much regarding them. This though can be a good sign since I heard no outstanding negetives, but no outstanding positives either. Top 4 and top 6 potential and skill are one thing, but how much of a risk are they and can they pull it off here in the pros.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
DarkHorse said:

Just makes no sense. None.

Your saying the Isles got the better end of the deal, because they have made the playoffs as a low seed a couple of times since the trade, while the rebuilding Panthers haven't made it?

Does it occur to you that the rest of the team might have had an influence on the playoff appearances. Does it occur to you that Luongo is going to be more valuable to FLA in the coming years and more of an influence in the playoffs than Kvasha or Parrish will ever be? Does it occur to you that # of past playoff appearances mean absolutely nothing when it comes to the talent a player currently has?

I guess ATL shoulda taken Sutherby or Ott 2nd in 00 instead of Heatley, they've been to the playoffs more, they must be better players.

Probably shoudla taken Komisarek 1st in 01 instead of Kovalchuck, hes got more playoff appearences too.

If the Rangers traded Purinton to Calgary for Phaneuf, and Calgary made the playoffs again and the Rangers didn't, would you say Calgray got the better of the trade? Doesn't make any sense.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
ok and how many will be in the hl, every teamhas great prospects but how many will be nhl; material, can they score at the nl level thats the ? who cares what they do in juniors really.

The list was posted in response to the comment that the isles didn't have much to look forward to.According to nhl scouts,the isles have some promising prospects.

Which ones will develop?Well how do we know any teams prospect will develop?We'll have to wait and see.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Mikos87 said:
I'm sure everyone is raving over that list. Nilsson is someone who I like very much, but he has many issues regarding his character so far. Leaving Sweden to play in the Swiss league.

The others I can't say I know much about, but I've never heard much regarding them. This though can be a good sign since I heard no outstanding negetives, but no outstanding positives either. Top 4 and top 6 potential and skill are one thing, but how much of a risk are they and can they pull it off here in the pros.

I didn't say people would rave over the list.I said read some scouting reports from nhl scouts before posting that there's nothing in their prospect pool.

Isles don't have a ton of prospects,but they do have some promising ones.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Luongo. By a mile. He was drafted because of puck stopping skills that were pheniminal. Milbury never saw DiPietro play, but liked his stickwork enough to make the most embarrassing draft selection made since 1966, when Boston picked Barry Gibbs ahead of Brad Park or Washington taking Greg Joly ahead of Clark Gillies and Wilf Paiement in 1974.

We would have an older and more experienced goalie with our thirty year old packed team instead of waiting for Rick the extra two or three or four years.

Florida is jam packed with young players with MUCH, MUCH promise and have Luongo close to the peak of the bell curve learning wise.

Yashin and Peca will be mid thirties when Rick is developed, and for a goalie drafted solely because he can shoot the puck like a defenseman, waiting to see if his actual puck stopping skills (i.e.: why one drafts a goalie) are anything more than a no-frills Hasek wannabe.

There are no guarantees with either goalie, but a .940 save percentage has me guessing Luongo will be something. Rick is progressing (THANK GOD!!!!) but can either blossom into another Cloutier or possibly a Turek. It's a gamble.

But would anyone sane and with any hopes of keeping a job bet his $45 MILLION dollar (and rising) payroll on such a gamble?

No, but Milbury not only wagered, he bet the house and made him back up Garth Snow. (read: gave him the starting job by proxy)

Martha Stewart goes to jail, and Mike Milbury gets an extension.

There IS no justice in this world. (not that I even remotely like Martha Stewart)

And the Isles prospect pool is silly bad compared to many other teams. One, maybe two defensemen of note who might ever play well, a slew of first rounders dealt a year after drafting before 2000, the ones after 2000 have been marginal to disappointments (Nilsson stank it up this year and our other two are Blake clones with less scoring potential)

Ah well.....at least we don't have Cloutier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad