Luongo becomes 2nd goalie all time with 200 wins on more the one team

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I think he deserves to have won a Vezina (he was definitely robbed one year) but he does not deserve to have his name on the Cup. He had his chance in 2011 and put on arguably the most embarrassing game 7 performance by a goaltender in history.

He got to play on one of the greatest hockey teams ever assembled in order to win Olympic Gold in 2010.
LOL settle down. "arguably the most embarrassing game 7 performance by a goaltender in history." Is a sad exaggeration of a 4-0 loss which included an empty-netter.

Several goalies have posted worse game 7 stats since that date, including:

Crawford 2014 vs. LA
Rask 2014 vs. MTL
Hiller & Gibson 2014 vs. LA
Holtby 2013 vs. NYR
Kuemper 2014 vs. COL (in a win no less)
Rinne 2016 vs. SJ
Andersen 2015 vs. CHI
Niemi & Lehtonen 2016 vs. STL

But yeah, he did nothing to win Gold in 2010. Literally took a nap in the net, didn't have to make a tough save all tournament.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
It would save you from the cap recapture penalty if he didn't, so I understand.
That will haunt the Canucks if he retires the last year of his contract. 8 mill of dead cap space :skull:
Bye boeser

Nah, he'll just pull a Hossa and make up an excuse to go on LTIR. And at least that excuse will likely be f***ing hilarious.

LOL settle down. "arguably the most embarrassing game 7 performance by a goaltender in history." Is a sad exaggeration of a 4-0 loss which included an empty-netter.

Several goalies have posted worse game 7 stats since that date, including:

Crawford 2014 vs. LA
Rask 2014 vs. MTL
Hiller & Gibson 2014 vs. LA
Holtby 2013 vs. NYR
Kuemper 2014 vs. COL (in a win no less)
Rinne 2016 vs. SJ
Andersen 2015 vs. CHI
Niemi & Lehtonen 2016 vs. STL

But yeah, he did nothing to win Gold in 2010. Literally took a nap in the net, didn't have to make a tough save all tournament.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant!

Gone are the days when average players like Gillies can get into the HHOF because they got a bunch of Cups. Four of the best players of this past generation seem very, very likely to retire without a Cup; Thornton, Ovechkin, Price and Lundqvist. Luongo is in that same group, and like the others, should be a slam dunk first ballot HHOF pick.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Nah, he'll just pull a Hossa and make up an excuse to go on LTIR. And at least that excuse will likely be ****ing hilarious.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant!

Gone are the days when average players like Gillies can get into the HHOF because they got a bunch of Cups. Four of the best players of this past generation seem very, very likely to retire without a Cup; Thornton, Ovechkin, Price and Lundqvist. Luongo is in that same group, and like the others, should be a slam dunk first ballot HHOF pick.

He was spotted at London Drugs buying Gold Bond.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I think he deserves to have won a Vezina (he was definitely robbed one year) but he does not deserve to have his name on the Cup. He had his chance in 2011 and put on arguably the most embarrassing game 7 performance by a goaltender in history.

He got to play on one of the greatest hockey teams ever assembled in order to win Olympic Gold in 2010.
It's pretty hard to top Roy's 2002 Game 7 meltdown against Detroit.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
12 goalies had 400+ wins in their career

Active goalies only
Goalies with 200+ wins and played with another team
Miller - 37yo - 278 wins, 64 with Van, 2 with ANA (active)
Fleury - 33yo - 213 wins, 4 with LVK (active)

Goalies with 200+ wins with one team
Lundqvist - 35yo - 417 wins
Ward - 33yo - 298 wins
Rinne - 35yo - 282 wins
Price - 30yo - 275 wins
Quick - 31yo - 270 wins
Anderson - 36yo - 245 wins
Crawford - 32yo - 225 wins
Howard - 33yo - 207 wins
Rask - 30 yo - 204 wins

Unless I'm missing something, Fleury's win total should be 379: 375 with PIT, 4 with VGK.

unknown

Oct 7, 2006
vancouver
He played a major role in ensuring his team didn't win a cup.

He posted two shut outs at home, up until game 7 he was excellent on home ice allowing just two goals in 3 games. Game 7 was not his fault the first goal came through a double screen by his own teammates, second was unfortunate he scrambled and was bumped by Daniel Sedin, and inadvertently knocks the puck into his own net, third he makes the save is plowed into by Bergeron and the puck goes in. He may have had some poor showings in Boston but Boston simply was the better team when it counted and I wouldn't put 2011 on Lu.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
He shows his age at times (see the Blackhawks game) but he’s still great. First ballot HOF and our first jersey retiree.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
He posted two shut outs at home, up until game 7 he was excellent on home ice allowing just two goals in 3 games. Game 7 was not his fault the first goal came through a double screen by his own teammates, second was unfortunate he scrambled and was bumped by Daniel Sedin, and inadvertently knocks the puck into his own net, third he makes the save is plowed into by Bergeron and the puck goes in. He may have had some poor showings in Boston but Boston simply was the better team when it counted and I wouldn't put 2011 on Lu.

He gave his team zero chance to win the games in Boston. None whatsoever. He was atrocious. You can say Vancouver didn't score in game 7. Thing is, there was likely no need for a game 7 had he performed decently before hand.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
He gave his team zero chance to win the games in Boston. None whatsoever. He was atrocious. You can say Vancouver didn't score in game 7. Thing is, there was likely no need for a game 7 had he performed decently before hand.
The EXACT same thing could be said for the rest of the team. When Luongo was on, he won us games, 1-0. When he wasn't, our offence was nowhere to be found to pick up the slack and help him out.

We scored 5 goals in 3 wins, and 3 goals in 4 losses.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
The EXACT same thing could be said for the rest of the team. When Luongo was on, he won us games, 1-0. When he wasn't, our offence was nowhere to be found to pick up the slack and help him out.

We scored 5 goals in 3 wins, and 3 goals in 4 losses.

He was pulled ten minutes into every road game. He's a big reason they lost. Furthermore, he nearly lost a 2-0 lead in the gold medal game. He's just not a guy who could handle pressure well.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Luongo deserves to be in the HHOF and this is a very good reason he should be. One of the top three goalies of all-time did it; although Brodeur didn't do it he does have more wins than anybody. No Devils goalie will ever get as many wins as him for that franchise.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Theres a case to be made for game 6 but no keeper in history is saving Vancouver in games 3 and 4. They only scored 1 goal combined and the only goal that could be considered bad given up by Luongo is, I think, the last one in game 4 where he tried to clear the puck and it went in off a body.

Luongo carried that team only as far as he could.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Its ludicrous to me that any rational person would blame the keeper when their team only scored 8 goals in a seven game series.......

Its hard to believe a goalie was so good as to make that a seven gamer TBH.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
He was pulled ten minutes into every road game. He's a big reason they lost. Furthermore, he nearly lost a 2-0 lead in the gold medal game. He's just not a guy who could handle pressure well.
He was pulled in the first period once, and the third period once. I don't mind having a discussion here but let's stick to reality please.

Luongo was 34/36 against team USA in the gold medal game that he won, and somehow that is used against him? That logic has baffled me for almost 8 years and will continue to baffle me for eternity.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
He was pulled in the first period once, and the third period once. I don't mind having a discussion here but let's stick to reality please.

Luongo was 34/36 against team USA in the gold medal game that he won, and somehow that is used against him? That logic has baffled me for almost 8 years and will continue to baffle me for eternity.

Luongo also stole the starter job from Brodeur in 2010 after that Hall of Fame goaltender had some disappointing games and lost to the Americans in the preliminary rounds. The only fault on Luongo in the 2010 Olympics is that he didn't play as well as Miller, but Miller was on another level that year.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He was spotted at London Drugs buying Gold Bond.
images

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
I love Bobby Lou. Seems like a good dude, and I wish he won the Cup while he was with the Canucks. Would have been even better if Dilbury didn't trade him to Florida so he could select his boy toy 1st overall.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
He'll definitely move into #3 overall for all time wins, and has a decent shot at catching Roy if he can stay healthy over the next 3-4 years.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

You're not a guy who can handle research and developing an informed opinion well.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
When he hangs them up, I hope he considers getting in front of the camera. We can use a personality like his over many of the ones we got.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
When he hangs them up, I hope he considers getting in front of the camera. We can use a personality like his over many of the ones we got.
Hopefully Don Cherry hangs up the ugly drapes he calls suits and Luongo takes over. We could call it the "Goalie's Crease" instead of "Coaches Corner".

Reactions: kingsholygrail

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad