Lundqvist's Starts

Mr Shanahan

Jul 11, 2007
Toronto
Leaf fan here, I was just curious, I know that Lundy only started in 62 games last year because Biron was excellent and they wanted to keep their man nice and rested for the playoffs, but with this shortened season, how do you think they will handle the amount of starts he gets?

A playoff run is usually around 23 or 24 games, and with last years paces, Lundy would only start 36 or 37 games in the regular season. Does that sound like it is enough to be warmed and ready for the playoffs?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If there's one thing Rangers fans can be sure of this season, it's that Lundqvist will be ready the second they drop the puck. The dude has a compete level like no one I've ever seen before.

Sign me up for 35-40 to be as fresh as ever for a hopefully deep playoff run.

Kershaw

No excuses for being tired this year. He should play at least 80% of the games

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Am I the only person who's sad that Hank (probably) won't continue his streak of 30-win seasons? Pretty irrelevant, but I wanted to see that go on.

I think Hank will start between 37 and 40 games.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
I think he'll get between 35 and 38. Biron needs to be ready in case Lundqvist goes down, regardless. And there will be a lot of cases of 3 games in 4 nights.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Am I the only person who's sad that Hank (probably) won't continue his streak of 30-win seasons? Pretty irrelevant, but I wanted to see that go on.

I honestly don't care that much. It's extremely unlikely that the record will be broken anyway since you need 30 wins in your first season. That only happened 7 times. Then after that, you need get 6 more years of 30 wins. Chances of that getting broken is slim.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas

I'm bummed about it too, but I imagine as long as he has a strong season and then continues his 30 wins next season, history can add an asterisk to denote that there was only 48 games this year so that his streak can kind of still count.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think it remains about the same as it was last year in terms of percentage of starts.

Because there's less wear and tear in a shortened season and because games are more important in a shortened season, you would think Lundqvist gets more starts in terms of percentage.

That being said, I think a compact schedule with more back to backs evens that out.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
With how few games there will be and him not playing during the lockout, he should be less tired and also the games are more important. I wouldn't be upset with 40 games. Too bad there will be too many back to backs and thus he'll probably play less than that.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Leaf fan here, I was just curious, I know that Lundy only started in 62 games last year because Biron was excellent and they wanted to keep their man nice and rested for the playoffs, but with this shortened season, how do you think they will handle the amount of starts he gets?

A playoff run is usually around 23 or 24 games, and with last years paces, Lundy would only start 36 or 37 games in the regular season. Does that sound like it is enough to be warmed and ready for the playoffs?

Biron was inconsistent last year and struggled at times... If anything Lundqvist got games off because the Rangers were high in the standings and they could afford to rest him to try and keep him fresh for the playoffs...

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
He'll get 38. I don't see him giving up that many games. He wants to play to get in form. Torts knows how he is and gives him more power of decision than anyone else he's ever coached. If Henrik wants 40 and says he wants 40 to get into form, he'll get roughly that many.

TheRedViper

Dec 12, 2008
Niagara
I honestly don't care that much. It's extremely unlikely that the record will be broken anyway since you need 30 wins in your first season. That only happened 7 times. Then after that, you need get 6 more years of 30 wins. Chances of that getting broken is slim.

Yea, but if he got it this year, he likely would've continued at least another 4 years after. Would've been a crazy record. Irrelevant at the end of the day, but cool nonetheless

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Nah I'm bummed about it too.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
That'll be his goal 30 wins.... If he is in his top form, I have faith in him and this team. #Lundqvist30W

Do I sense a countdown thread?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The Rangers finally got Lundqvist down to a workload of about 75% last year and he had the best season of his career. He was also a stud in the playoffs. I think 75% is the magic number with him. That's 36 starts this season. There are less absolute games this year, so there is an argument for increasing his %, but it is also going to be a very condensed schedule.

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
37 is my guess but it also depends on how many back to back and how Biron plays in his first couple games. If he lays a couple eggs to begin the season Torts will ride Hank as there are no games to giveaway for rest this season.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
anyone else a little worried about Biron's starts this year? He was great to start the year last year, and then was a sieve the rest of the way (his five-hole was RIDICULOUSLY embarrassing for the last half of the season, like hard to believe he was an NHL netminder)...

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
anyone else a little worried about Biron's starts this year? He was great to start the year last year, and then was a sieve the rest of the way (his five-hole was RIDICULOUSLY embarrassing for the last half of the season, like hard to believe he was an NHL netminder)...

Agreed dude, I don't know why so many have forgotten about that, or just choose to forget. Dude had a 10-hole the second half of the season, and it was exposed. In his last 9 games, he gave up 3 or more goals 7 times.

splattered

Jan 8, 2013
It will be interesting to see how Hank will play in the first game since there won't be any pre season games before the opening against the bruins. Rask have played 17 games for Plzen this season and is warm in his clothes already. If Hank plays good in the first game at least I will be impressed.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The Rangers finally got Lundqvist down to a workload of about 75% last year and he had the best season of his career. He was also a stud in the playoffs. I think 75% is the magic number with him. That's 36 starts this season. There are less absolute games this year, so there is an argument for increasing his %, but it is also going to be a very condensed schedule.

i think that will be the targeted split...but all depends on how were doing and how tight the standings are.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

i'll be disappointed just like i was disappointed he didn't get to 40 last year.

btw if you are looking for a win milestone this year...15 wins to pass Eddie for #2 in nyr history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad