Lundqvist's Postgame Interview with Al Trautwig after his first NHL win is incredible.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn

The interview starts at 1:37:05

His English, his confidence, and his charm were incredible right off the bat, watching the highlights he says "that's a beauty" about his save on John Madden. Al says his style is similar to Kevin Weekes, and Hank just says "ehhhhh...kinda." He immediately recognizes how great Benoit Allaire is as his goaltending coach. He says "it's great to beat Jersey" even though he's brand new to the rivalry.

At the end, Al mistakenly calls him "Henrik Lundstrom".

The eeriest part is when they cut to John Giannone afterwards, who says, "I wonder if Henrik knows the story of Lou Gehrig and Wally Pipp...but I guess that's much down the road." Lou Gehrig got his start with the Yankees after an injury to starting first baseman Wally Pipp. He played splendidly and never looked back, eventually becoming a Yankees legend. Henrik was playing these games because of a groin injury to Kevin Weekes, who was the starter at the time. Their stories are eerily similar.

John knew all along...

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012

His English, his confidence, and his charm were incredible right off the bat, watching the highlights he says "that's a beauty" about his save on John Madden. Al says his style is similar to Kevin Weekes, and Hank just says "ehhhhh...kinda." He immediately recognizes how great Benoit Allaire is as his goaltending coach. He says "it's great to beat Jersey" even though he's brand new to the rivalry.

The eeriest part is when they cut to John Giannone afterwards, who says, "I wonder if Henrik knows the story of Lou Gehrig and Wally Pipp...but I guess that's much down the road." Lou Gehrig got his start with the Yankees after an injury to starting first baseman Wally Pipp. He played splendidly and never looked back, eventually becoming a Yankees legend. Henrik was playing these games because of a groin injury to Kevin Weekes, who was the starter at the time. Their stories are eerily similar.

John knew all along...

wow that's great, thanks. Sam & JD were such a good team. JD oozed charisma.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

His English, his confidence, and his charm were incredible right off the bat, watching the highlights he says "that's a beauty" about his save on John Madden.

Had to read this a second time to understand that you were talking about Hank and not Al.

• Haha
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
You do realize Sam & Joe have been together about as long as Sam & JD were together.

Sam & JD were 1986-2006

Sam & Joe 2006-2024.
And? Joe stinks. He has since he got here. Any person who watches hockey can come up with what Joe talks about. JD used to talk about things you wouldn't catch on your own. He made you a more knowledgeable fan. Joe tells you penalty killers are tired.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
And? Joe stinks. He has since he got here. Any person who watches hockey can come up with what Joe talks about. JD used to talk about things you wouldn't catch on your own. He made you a more knowledgeable fan. Joe tells you penalty killers are tired.
Joe is way better on national broadcasts. He's too worried about toeing the company line when he does Ranger games. His stroke job of Tuba the other night was a master class.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Stinks is a bit harsh.

No, Joe is nowhere near as deep as JD was. However, the broadcast is just so different. Sam is a lot different. The call is so much more conversational now, rather than a true play by play/analysis. I can’t say I like it, but I also can’t put the blame completely on Joe.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005

John knew all along...

Yup interesting he said that.. you could hear the questions during postgame much better back then 😆

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad