Lundqvist signs extension

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
man i would not have wanted us to pay him that much for that long. His game is already starting to slip a little here and there...still a stud now, even with his inconsistency, but in 3/4 years?

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Not sure how you can rip this contract because it is a fair deal for both sides. He would have gotten more on the open market and the cap is going to grow ridiculously over the next few years especially with the Canadian TV deal they're expecting it to be over $100 mil soon.

They were never gonna let him go its rare for stars to hit open market these days and I couldn't see Wang shelling out that kind of money anyway. Was hoping he'd at least leave our division but I guess we're stuck with him.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
When Snow goes shopping on July 1, he buys day old bread, dented can goods with no labels and over ripe produce.
No chance he was coming here even if he made it free agency.

Last edited:

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
When Snow goes shopping on July 1, he buys day old bread, dented can goods with no labels and over ripe produce.
No chance he was coming here even if he made it free agency.

I agree with you. However i also would not have wanted him at 8.5

puckstopper55

Feb 10, 2003
Visit site
Listening to Hockey Night in Canada yesterday on XM, most teams project that the cap will eventually be up around $85M-$95M, with most teams getting between $6.5M and $8M per year from the new TV contract. If we assume that the cap will eventually be that high (which I think it will be) Hank will represent 1/10th of the teams cap. That seems like it will be a steep price, especially in the years leading up to that cap ceiling. Next year, the cap should be in the mid $70M's so he will represent about 1/9th of the cap.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Oh dear, all the posters who keep saying that by July there will be all of these great ufas to pick from...

There goes another one boys! Please stop telling us that we are guaranteed crap next summer. We aren't. If you need something key, you need to probably trade for it.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
It's not an overpayment it's fair market value and he probably could have gotten more on open market. Contracts given out in July are crazy and you pretty much need to overpay a UFA to get one someone would have backed a dump truck full of cash up to him.. It's a good deal for the rangers.

Just wait until JT's next contract if he decides he wants to stay here.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
I'm a huge fan of this signing for the Raggies...I think this deal will make them a worse team top to bottom down the road. 16.3 million for Nash and the Queen is a lot...They still have to resign Callahan, Bassard (RFA), Zuccarello, Kreider (RFA), Girardi, Del Zotto, Stralman and Moore I believe.

That's before making any type of improvement to a 14-14-0 team.

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
It's a good deal for the Rangers the first 3-4 years, anyone's guess if it holds up beyond that money/cap-wise. But as has been already mentioned, the cap is expected to go up ...at least until the next lockout... which should make this deal cap-wise hurt the rangers less-and-less each year.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I'm a huge fan of this signing for the Raggies...I think this deal will make them a worse team top to bottom down the road. 16.3 million for Nash and the Queen is a lot...They still have to resign Callahan, Bassard (RFA), Zuccarello, Kreider (RFA), Girardi, Del Zotto, Stralman and Moore I believe.

That's before making any type of improvement to a 14-14-0 team.

If it's anything big teams do it is spend $$$. A lot big teams sign multiple big contracts look at the ducks, wild and penguins recently.

Callahan will be back Girardi and del zotto will walk don't know about the other non-RFA's. I don't see how this deal will hinder them at all they'll just sign ufa's or make a trade like they've done over the past few years.

lacunacoil777

Feb 11, 2013
And the good news is, there is still Islander and met fans who go to bed at night thinking pretty soon Charles wang and the wilpons will start spending max money on free agents to make their teams better.....and that hall of fame level players would want to sign with loser organizations....gotta love the optimism of the younger posters!

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Not sure how you can rip this contract because it is a fair deal for both sides. He would have gotten more on the open market and the cap is going to grow ridiculously over the next few years especially with the Canadian TV deal they're expecting it to be over $100 mil soon.

They were never gonna let him go its rare for stars to hit open market these days and I couldn't see Wang shelling out that kind of money anyway. Was hoping he'd at least leave our division but I guess we're stuck with him.

What other team would have given him that deal? The rangers had to, no one else does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad