Lundqvist makes major changes to his game

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
I know Lundqvist has been a devisive character on these Boards for many years...some thinking he is/was great, and others thinking he was always highly overrated.

Just thought it was worthwhile pointing out that most said his play would fall off a cliff because he played so deep in his net, and as he aged he wouldn't be quick enough to make the tougher saves. (

Well, in this season, he is playing incredibly far out, playing angles, and using agressiveness instead of pure reflex. (He does have the best goalie coach in the League...)

It was a slow start as he adjusted, but anyone who has watched him the past 6+ weeks can see how good he has looked.

If he is able to maintain a high level of play for 2-3more years, does that change anyone's opinion on where he sits on the all-time list of players at his position?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Who is his goalie coach and why do you think hes better than a guy like Mitch Korn or Bill Ranford?

Edit, Allaire? we 1995 now

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
to me, he’s the best goalie in my lifetime quite easily. i was born in 2000 and didn’t get to see Brodeur play in his prime although i saw his later years. but since i could remember 2008+, Lundqvist has consistently been the best/one of the best goalies. it’s nice to see him change his style and play aggressive when he used to play so calm and poised. top 15-20 all time and the best over the past decade. should have more hardware though

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I'd like him more if he stopped throwing fits and blaming his D every time he gets scored on.

But yes OP I agree he is playing better.

This is a narrative with only some truth to it. He'll call his D out on bad coverage, sure. He's just a really competitive player, and the competitiveness shows. He tunes out everything and locks into the game.

I can see how it's polarizing, sure, but I'd gladly take a player who takes his game seriously.

He has adjusted his game, and it definitely needed to happen. His reflexes have slowed, and though he's still pretty quick, he needs to adjust his timings and his positioning. It's getting there. I don't know if we'll see an extremely elite Lundqvist anymore, but we'll see a good starter when all is said and done.

Dessert Nights

Back in Form
Nov 22, 2016
Finland
It was a slow start as he adjusted, but anyone who has watched him the past 6+ weeks can see how good he has looked.

Sexy-Pictures-Henrik-Lundqvist.jpg

I thought his game has been fine?

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
This is a narrative with only some truth to it. He'll call his D out on bad coverage, sure. He's just a really competitive player, and the competitiveness shows. He tunes out everything and locks into the game.

You act like I am some casual fan who is repeating a narrative I read somewhere. I watch every Rangers game. Lundqvist throws fits and blames his D. That is a fact.

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
You act like I am some casual fan who is repeating a narrative I read somewhere. I watch every Rangers game. Lundqvist throws fits and blames his D. That is a fact.

Hockey players have such sensitive feelings. They can fight, block shots, throw hits, but dear god
if someone hurts their tender, precious feelings by criticizing their play it would be completely unacceptable.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Well, he's taken the blame for 12 years. It's about time he calls out the shit-show in front of him. A defense that was overrated for so many years because of him.

Some of the aggressive play has lead to goals. I've always felt he's a goalie where a mix of playing deep and aggressive has helped him. He doesn't always been the right style choice for some shots.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Do you even know the story behind this, or do you think this really proves your point?

yes. Some of us watch hockey too, not just yourself. In fact, i was actually at the game. He was being a massive baby. Who the hell knocks the net off during the play? what a clown.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
yes. Some of us watch hockey too, not just yourself. In fact, i was actually at the game. He was being a massive baby. Who the hell knocks the net off during the play? what a clown.

Then you also know he didn't get a whistle and actually left the game because he was hurt.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Then you also know he didn't get a whistle and actually left the game because he was hurt.

aka he threw a temper tantrum? im not understanding the defense of him here?

I really fail to see how the ref is supposed to assume lundqvist needs a break. He got hit by his own guy and went FLYING back to the net no worse for the wear. Then he acts hurt when the 2 on 1 comes the other way and throws his fit. I have no doubt there would have been a whistle had he stayed down but the ref isnt psychic. I believe its you who is misremembering things.

all right here at 0:15

Linda Bacon

Canada fan
Nov 7, 2017
I think he is the best goalie to not win a cup. It's almost criminal that the Rangers can't get it done with him in net.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I know Lundqvist has been a devisive character on these Boards for many years...some thinking he is/was great, and others thinking he was always highly overrated.

Just thought it was worthwhile pointing out that most said his play would fall off a cliff because he played so deep in his net, and as he aged he wouldn't be quick enough to make the tougher saves. (

Well, in this season, he is playing incredibly far out, playing angles, and using agressiveness instead of pure reflex. (He does have the best goalie coach in the League...)

If he is able to maintain a high level of play for 2-3more years, does that change anyone's opinion on where he sits on the all-time list of players at his position?

Lundqvist is up there in the all-time ranks, neck and neck with sergei Bobrovsky.

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012

I really fail to see how the ref is supposed to assume lundqvist needs a break. He got hit by his own guy and went FLYING back to the net no worse for the wear. Then he acts hurt when the 2 on 1 comes the other way and throws his fit. I have no doubt there would have been a whistle had he stayed down but the ref isnt psychic. I believe its you who is misremembering things.

Lundqvist was hurt, hence why he didn't finish the game. He yelled to the Ref to stop play due to the injury, only other choice was to fall to the ice, to which he would've been called a diver, etc.

Unlike Skaters, Goalies can't go the bench during play

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Lundqvist got hit by McDonagh. The ref asked if he was ok and didn't answer right away. Lundqvist then tried to get the refs attention. The video doesn't show anything because the puck is going the other way. Didn't Holby defend him on this saying "he did the right thing"?

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Well, he's taken the blame for 12 years. It's about time he calls out the ****-show in front of him. A defense that was overrated for so many years because of him.

Some people will say that the 5 goalie system that Tortorella employed is what made him look better than he is. Hence the declining play the seasons after Torts left.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com

It's a narrative with complete truth to it - the why isn't relevant as to whether or not he does it, which he does, as you state.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Hank has been better of late, although he is still prone to letting in at least one softy per game.
I agree that when he is more aggressive, he is better. When he sits back, he is just not very good.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
New goalie style: offensive goalie

Because why strive to be in the defensive zone blocking shots when you can help your team's shot differentials?

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I know this is a feel good Lundqvist thread, but sorry to ruin it. He hasn't looked good in most of the games I've seen him in.

10/10 feel good emotions in this thread

3/10 for accuracy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad