Lundqvist is roaring back

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
Over his 11 consecutive starts (since Oct. 31 vs. Vegas), Lundqvist has posted a 9-2-0 record, along with a 2.23 GAA, a .932 SV%, and 1 SO, and he leads the NHL in wins over the span.
— Twitter via NYR Stats & Info (@NYRStatsInfo) November 25, 2017

Great month of November for Henrik.

2.62 GAA, .918 Sv% 2 SO for the season thus far.

Is he back?​

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
He never left. Bad year? Yes.

He had a bad year [and still posted a .927SV% in playoffs and outplayed Price].

Bad years happen. What I dont get is how goaltenders like Rinne can have 2-3 off years and are still considered elite [nothing against Rinne, but somehow a double standard against Henrik].

He literally had a .920SV%+ as a starter 7 or 8 years in a row before he had his bad season. The Rangers are also a poor defensive team who often give up better/more numerous chances.

He is still a strong starting goaltender, and his numbers would be better on a better defensive team.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
AV has helped this team overachieve since he arrived. He did not deserve to be fired.
Im not as big an AV hater as some on the NYR board, but i'm saying he's lucky that the LVGK game (which was supposedly a do or die game for him) is Hank and the powerplay decided to bail him out and go on a tear

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
AV has helped this team overachieve since he arrived. He did not deserve to be fired.
AV also continually makes idiotic player deployment decisions like making Staal-Holden a shutdown pairing and having Tanner Glass on the ice to protect a lead. He also "misplaced" Skjei and Smith on the bench despite them being our best defensive pairing for large stretches of the playoffs. It's these kinds of decisions that cost us the Senators series last year.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I think many Rangers fans would not be so much concerned with now vs can he hold up for April and May. Last year despite only 57 games played he appeared to be totally worn down after the Montreal series. The question is can the Rangers make the playoffs if he only plays 45 games?

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
But will this hold up? He's 36 and the rangers obviously have 0 confidence in Pavelec hence 11 consecutive starts. Is Lundqvist going to play 9 out of every 10 games this season? He'll be fried come post season time. It doesn't help that the metro is so tight that if you lose 2 in a row you lose a lot of ground.

CenturionOne

Jun 28, 2011
Expatria
Looks like he's adjusted his game some, playing farther out in the crease cutting angles and controlling rebounds a lot better than he has for a while. Good for him, good for the rangers.

Reactions: torirose1998

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
I hope he can stabilize around .92
That worrisome slump in the beginning was kind of long, but now he looks good.

Maybe winning the WC with his brother rejuvinated him a bit.
I imagine having a long career without getting a cup can get disheartening, so I'm happy for him.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
playing well...hats off.

CZ6tw08UcAEtDZY.jpg

:naughty:

Reactions: haak84

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Every other goaltender in the league when they have a down season: "They're just having a down season."
Lundqvist having a down season: "He's done. He's so old." That kind of tells you the standard he has set for himself how others regard his performances.

When you're being the standard of elite goaltending for others to compare to, it gets kind of scewed when you no longer is the standard after 11 years of goaltending.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad