Luke Schenn Appreciation

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
While we lost the trade in his acquisition, that was totally not on him(Holmgren). Despite all his lofty expectations and all the knashing over JVR's success in Toronto, Luke was a good player for the Flyers. He wasn't great, most nights not even very good but he was consistently physical,never backed down , and always stood up for his teammates. Those are the qualities I will remember him by. not by his mistakes, or his skating, or bone headed play at times. So by saying this, THANK YOU LUKE. Lecavalier-not so much

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Luke was just the wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time.

He started strong but went downhill, mostly because they wouldn't pair him with a mobile defenseman who matched his skill set. Primarily because the only mobile defenseman left was paired with Coburn, then Streit came on board later but was paired with MacDonald.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I didn't mind Luke and would have been okay resigning him for about half his current contract but that was never really gonna be an option. He'll be a good fit for LA

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I have a poem I'd like to read.

*ahem*

Luke, we barely knew thee
Or at least what you could become
Because as far as we could see
You played like you were dumb

Yet we stuck up for you just the same
"He's not that bad, with a smart PMD!"
You'd prove us wrong every other game
At least you'd provide a spin-o-rama spree...

Now you ride off into the sunset, westward ho!
You leave us behind with your slightly smarter bro
All of this is just in jest
Because I thought you were the best :cry:

Goodbye Luke! You did your job better than you got credit for and were a pleasure to meet and speak with at the Carnival!

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Always thought the trade was the right move at the time. Obviously didn't work the way we wanted, and I think he got a bad rap for being traded for JvR, but he was a useful player for the most part. Certainly days where he did more harm than good, but overall I feel he was pretty reliable.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Schenn always gave an honest effort and always had his teammates back. He was partially mismanaged. For some reason whenever a coach found a partner he worked well with, they were split up soon thereafter.

He looked great with Kimmo in 12-13

He looked very good when paired with Gustafason in 13-14

Since then, he hasnt gelled with anyone. There was some potential with Ghost but the opportunity to move him came along and had to be taken.

Hope the Kings get swept in the 1st round but I hope he signs elsewhere and has success there!

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Yes indeed thank you did well Jedi Luke
So my cousin was married to a Schenn had a son got divorced. My family did business and were very close to schenns brother. And he told me he and his brother that was married to my cousin, that they were cousins to Luke's dad.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
Luke was solid. He had some brain dead moments, but he always anchored the pairing to let guys like Kimmo and Gus shine. Hope he finds a fit in LA.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
won't miss a thing about him.

could never clear the zone and got his weak wrist shot blocked at the point pretty much every time he got the puck

ive dreamed of this day, i may shed a tear

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
I'll remember L Schenn as one of the Flyers' best defensemen of the lockout-shortened 2012-13 season, when pretty much every Dman went down with an injury.

Was even playing on the power play at the end there! Decent as a top pairing guy that year with Timonen.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Always thought the trade was the right move at the time. Obviously didn't work the way we wanted, and I think he got a bad rap for being traded for JvR, but he was a useful player for the most part. Certainly days where he did more harm than good, but overall I feel he was pretty reliable.

it was never a good trade. I get that JVR was never going to be a good fit with the Flyers. The guy has his own flaws. Hated the trade then and always do.
Glad that Schenn is gone.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
expelled2.jpg

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Always liked him. Like others said. Wrong place wrong time. Sadly we will see a new Luke out of Philly. Thank berube you ruined everything

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I sill remember when he was paired with Kimo, he looked like a top 4 defender. Then after the short season it went down hill
And he became an average 5/6.

We will miss the super slow spin moves Luke.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The best thing about Luke was the return we just got for him after so many main board morons insisted he had no value or negative value.

I would have said the best thing was how well he played in 12-13 on the top pairing with Kimmo, but that just made the drop off after that to 3rd pairing dman harder to swallow.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
I'm trying to find some good gifs of him, and these were the first results :laugh:

lukenoooo.gif

SchennClearingAttemptSimmondsFace.gif

But seriously, I always like the guy, he may have lacked skill but he had great heart. I think he will do well in LA. It's going to be weird not having to specify if you are talking about LSchenn or BSchenn...

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Journeyman D man......ciao! Good luck out west until your next move to Las Vegas....and so forth. Won't be surprised for the next decade he bounces around like Leighton. I mean he is a character guy...just limited with his hockey talents. He would have been very good during the clutching and grabbing era. He has had to simplify his game in today's NHL to limit his flaws...He certainly wasn't worth JVR even with all his inconsistency. JVR at least is a prototypical player for today's game who can skate and is still putting up decent numbers. He would have been fine here in Hakstol's system.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Schenn was always a bottom pair guy on skill/talent lets not glorify him here lol. Kimmo made him look that much better. I always thought Luke was crap but this season I turned the page and I really started to like him.

He always gives 100%, hits, works hard, stands up for his teammates. I'll miss Luke but he's done this city a justice by leaving town with Vinny.

All the best Luke.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Luke took one for the team o get Vinny outta here. Retire his number

Big fan of the Schenn brothers here and wish Luke all the best. I never gave up on both of them and just wish Luke was a tad quicker. Good luck in LA with Jeff and thanks for helping us get rid of Vinny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad