Prospect Info: Luke Hughes (#4 OA -2021) - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
The funny thing is that Luke can usually be pretty lax on in-zone coverage when the other team has sustained pressure, but you could tell that he really locked in defensively in overtime, and he was great in his own end. Would love to see him play with that urgency defensively on a regular basis.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
So, Luke Hughes 2021-2022:

41 Games
17 Goals
22 Assists
39 Points
0.95 PPG

All that, as a freshman and starting the season as one of the youngest players in the league. Future is bright people.

I'm expecting a considerable dip in goals next year. Hopefully that's offset by an increase in assists.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I'm expecting a considerable dip in goals next year. Hopefully that's offset by an increase in assists.
I wouldn't be surprised with a drop in points next season. I feel he'll be taking a little more defensive role as the #1 guy. We shall see.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
So, Luke Hughes 2021-2022:

41 Games
17 Goals
22 Assists
39 Points
0.95 PPG

All that, as a freshman and starting the season as one of the youngest players in the league. Future is bright people.

He's phenomenal offensively and his pure ability is off the charts as we knew. The best offensive/physical package in a defensive prospect since Niedermayer, and it isn't even close.

He needs to lock in defensively and be stronger in his own end (rush coverage is fine, in-zone coverage needs to be refined). Another year in Michigan will be huge for his development and hopefully he comes in ready to go in a year. He shouldn't be rushed though, because he's not ready defensively.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I wouldn't be surprised with a drop in points next season. I feel he'll be taking a little more defensive role as the #1 guy. We shall see.

He'll also be getting more ice time, he'll be on PP1, and his quality of teammate should rise. I'd be disappointed with a production drop unless he turns into a defensive stud which I doubt happens.

Reactions: mdj12784

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
As shitty as this may sound , It’s almost ok they lost . Makes Luke realize what it takes to win and that he has work to do still and comes back hungry next season . If they won it all , maybe he doesn’t work as hard in the off-season / have the same hunger next year ?
I don’t know . Im trying to put a positive spin on it from a perspective that all I want is Hughes to become the best he can for the Devils

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

He cheats an incredible amount offensively. If he learns to throttle it a little bit and be more responsible defensively, the goals and points will a drop a little. The trade off is fine as long as his defense takes the next step.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
As shitty as this may sound , It’s almost ok they lost . Makes Luke realize what it takes to win and that he has work to do still and comes back hungry next season . If they won it all , maybe he doesn’t work as hard in the off-season / have the same hunger next year ?
I don’t know . Im trying to put a positive spin on it from a perspective that all I want is Hughes to become the best he can for the Devils
I think you're overthinking this. Kid is like the youngest player in the league and put up an outstanding freshman season, where he led the league in points for D-men. There's your positive haha.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Luke can put up 10 pts next year and I wouldn’t care, as long as he improves defensively. The entire world knows what he can do with the puck, it’s the other side of the game I want to work on.

He’s a definite stud and the fact that he’s a week away from being draft eligible for the 2022 draft is flat out crazy!

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
He'll also be getting more ice time, he'll be on PP1, and his quality of teammate should rise. I'd be disappointed with a production drop unless he turns into a defensive stud which I doubt happens.
It wouldn't concern me too much. We already know kid has the upside and the skill. If he takes on a more defensive role, which is entirely possible, it might drop a little. Anyways, I wouldn't bet on a drop in production, but PPG is a lot to ask for a D-man. We'll see I guess.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I think you're overthinking this. Kid is like the youngest player in the league and put up an outstanding freshman season, where he led the league in points for D-men. There's your positive haha.
I’m not saying there isn’t any positives in Lukes game. I am very impressed and he was amazing. I was looking at positives to take away from them losing in the frozen four

Reactions: Devs3cups

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
In my mind, that goal is on Lambert (23). Hughes is covering his man, 51 is covering the pass. Lambert doesn't take the trailer, just stands around.

Is 51 a d-man? I think he could've had way better awareness as well. he was literally right there. Goal is definitely on #23 though. Just literally puck watching.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devs3cups

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Luke shot 18% this year which would be difficult to replicate. I’d anticipate the goal totals coming down a bit and maybe some residual assist drop if there’s a mass exodus to the pros. Same thing happened to Brock Boeser after he stayed for his sophomore season and he turned out fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad