Prospect Info: Lukas Vejdemo

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Sodertalje are up 1-0 mid-way through the 1st period. Vejdemo with an assist on the goal.

It's him coming down from the left half-wall:

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Vejdemo is out with a concussion, he is fine according to Södertälje, but has to follow the protocol before he can return.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It was charging, nothing clean about it.

Not at all. Charging is when you come from far to lay a hit or when you jump up into your opponent.

This guy did neither. He is on his side of the ice, took only a few strides and didn't jump at Vejdemo. Both feet were on the ice when he laid the hit.

So yes, a clean open ice hit.

Reactions: MasterD and jaffy27

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Not at all. Charging is when you come from far to lay a hit or when you jump up into your opponent.

This guy did neither. He is on his side of the ice, took only a few strides and didn't jump at Vejdemo. Both feet were on the ice when he laid the hit.

So yes, a clean open ice hit.

He took three strides before the hit, charging is accelerating to make a hit from a distance.

Charging definition: "Charging in hockey is when a player charges an opponent and makes contact with them, whether it be by skating, or jumping, into them. This can occur anywhere on the ice, and what differentiates it from a standard body check, is the distance traveled to make the hit.
The general rule of thumb is that if a player hits another from three or more skating strides away, it will likely be called a charging. However, it is at the referee’s discretion to determine what that “distance” is."

He went from his blue line to on the other side of the red line, while gaining speed. A clean open ice hit cannot accelerate into his target. He was clearly accelerating into his target.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He took three strides before the hit, charging is accelerating to make a hit from a distance.

Charging definition: "Charging in hockey is when a player charges an opponent and makes contact with them, whether it be by skating, or jumping, into them. This can occur anywhere on the ice, and what differentiates it from a standard body check, is the distance traveled to make the hit.
The general rule of thumb is that if a player hits another from three or more skating strides away, it will likely be called a charging. However, it is at the referee’s discretion to determine what that “distance” is."

He went from his blue line to on the other side of the red line, while gaining speed. A clean open ice hit cannot accelerate into his target. He was clearly accelerating into his target.

The guy is exactly where he should be as the RD. He is on his side of the ice. The opposition has the puck in their zone so he is between his own blue line and the center line. Vejdemo is coming in his direction. It's not the defenseman coming to Vejdemo's direction. The guy is covering his area of the ice. Vejdemo was caught with his head down.

It is similar to the Subban hit on Marchand. And Subban came from even further than this guy did on Vejdemo:

And here is a compilation of charging penalties in the NHL:

You'll notice guys coming from far, or leaping into their opponent.

And here is KK's hit on Sanheim. Look from where Kotkaniemi is coming lining up the hit:

The hit on Vejdemo was a clean open ice hit.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
The guy is exactly where he should be as the RD. He is on his side of the ice. The opposition has the puck in their zone so he is between his own blue line and the center line. Vejdemo is coming in his direction. It's not the defenseman coming to Vejdemo's direction. The guy is covering his area of the ice. Vejdemo was caught with his head down.

It is similar to the Subban hit on Marchand. And Subban came from even further than this guy did on Vejdemo:

And here is KK's hit on Sanheim. Look from where Kotkaniemi is coming lining up the hit:

Not sure how you didn't provide all the evidence needed to conclude this was charging.

It wasn't called because this is very rare in Sweden, referees are ill-prepared.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
You're kidding?

He takes like... three crossovers.

Did you read the definition?

He goes 5 meters (would have been more distance without Vejdemo coming the other way) and he's skating the whole time but at the last second where he turns because he knows it will be violent. It's charging intent 100%, and it's charging by the book definition.

Here I am, stumbling on the culture of violence again. This is wrong and dangerous, has to stop for our sport to survive.

It's also a hit to the head with the elbow.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Subban barely travel on that hit. He is basically standing his ground while skating laterally do adjust to the player trying to deke him. Don't know why you compare this to the hit against Vejdemo as the opponent player travelled half the neutral zone to make the hit. Also did not JK got a penalty on that hit which would actually prove it's not legal?

Reactions: SOLR

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Subban barely travel on that hit. He is basically standing his ground while skating laterally do adjust to the player trying to deke him. Don't know why you compare this to the hit against Vejdemo as the opponent player travelled half the neutral zone to make the hit. Also did not JK got a penalty on that hit which would actually prove it's not legal?

The KK hit was to show what a charging call is. That is what I'm proving. What a charging penalty is. And it isn't what the guy who laid the hit on Vejdemo.

Also, I don't know where you see the defender travel half the neutral zone. The guy was already in that area of the ice.

Reactions: jaffy27

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Vej reminds me of Engqvist in terms of having almost NHL upside but not really excelling in any area of the game.
I had a lot of hope for him. He had the size and defensive abilities. I remember being very excited that 2011-12 would be his time to shine. Unfortunately it didn't pan out.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Definitely charging. Looks like an elbow but can't tell from the angle.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Been a ref for a couple of years and this is borderline charging but he ended his 2nd stride at the same time he made contact. This is not charging but I understand people saying so, it's close to it.

on the other hand, it is 100% contact to the head with his elbow. The guy miss his contact if he doesn't extend his arm towards Vedjemo.

In other words, it's not clean at all.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Whats interesting, is this debate raging for a couple days, while a referee has to make such a decision in a couple of seconds

Its the human element added to each sport, what defines judgment calls and so on

There is no "100% correct" decision here

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Did you read the definition?

He goes 5 meters (would have been more distance without Vejdemo coming the other way) and he's skating the whole time but at the last second where he turns because he knows it will be violent. It's charging intent 100%, and it's charging by the book definition.

Here I am, stumbling on the culture of violence again. This is wrong and dangerous, has to stop for our sport to survive.

It's also a hit to the head with the elbow.
You said in your other comment he took three strides.

He literally doesn't take a single stride. Not one. A crossover is not a stride.

There's a culture of violence in hockey the same way there's a culture of violence in MMA. It's ingrained in the sport and I don't believe that's a bad thing, provided everyone involves OK's it.

As for the head contact... there might be a little. I see everyone saying elbow to the head, but I don't see any conclusive evidence of that. The defender pretty well hits him with his ass as far as I can tell, but his legs are extending into the hit, while Vejdemo's got a deep knee bend.
upload_2020-10-29_21-6-55.png

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

The Subban hit was not charging, the hit on Vejdemo is charging, 3x the distance, and a clear intent to accelerate.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
You said in your other comment he took three strides.

He literally doesn't take a single stride. Not one. A crossover is not a stride.

There's a culture of violence in hockey the same way there's a culture of violence in MMA. It's ingrained in the sport and I don't believe that's a bad thing, provided everyone involves OK's it.

As for the head contact... there might be a little. I see everyone saying elbow to the head, but I don't see any conclusive evidence of that. The defender pretty well hits him with his ass as far as I can tell, but his legs are extending into the hit, while Vejdemo's got a deep knee bend.
View attachment 374765

He is taking 3 strides. A stride in the definition of charging is any movement of the skate that leads to acceleration. Therefore stride or crossover, there is no difference made.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Whats interesting, is this debate raging for a couple days, while a referee has to make such a decision in a couple of seconds

Its the human element added to each sport, what defines judgment calls and so on

There is no "100% correct" decision here

Yeah, I think there is a 100% correct decision. It's charging. Leave that one up for debate, and the line between right or wrong will get a whole lot blurry. This is how you know if it's charging if setting this precedent (ie. do you want to see these hits every game) puts other players in danger.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It was charging, nothing clean about it.
Not a chance it was charging....dirty probably so as it seems he’s extending his arm.

He’s literally skating backwards then changes the direction to going forward, takes maybe 2 strides and hits him....it’s not like he was gliding forward then takes 3 to 4 forward strides to drill the guy....no way this is a charge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad