Proposal: Lucic for Seabrook

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Chicago would never do it. Lucic is more worthless to them. Seabrook is actually a team leader and well respected and liked in the org and locker room. Dumping a leader a part of a franchise turn around and 3 cups just for another crap player to shave off less than a million on the cap with a shorter term would not go over well in the locker room

Especially for a known doosh like lucic.

Chicago would more likely just buy him out the last few years more remaining than lucic

Reactions: Sinbad

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Both contracts are horrendous but Seabrook can still contribute as a third pairing, second PP unit guy.

Lucic can’t skate and no longer gives you anything offensively. His only value is as a thug which is a diminishing part of the game.

I can’t see the Hawks going anywhere near this deal without the Oilers adding.

Reactions: north49er

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Seabrooks contract is one year longer with a worse cap hit. No from oilers

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I wonder if any of the (Seabrook is crap/Seabrook is a 3rd pair) anti Seabrook posters watched any Hawk games the 2nd half of the season.
I'm not claiming Seabrook is the same guy he was 3 years ago but the teams climb to just missing the playoffs coincided with Seabrook getting 1/2 of his time on the 1st pairing.
The trade would do wonders for the Oilers, he knows how to play and knows how to win.
The Hawks eat a million on Seabrook (making him cheaper) and are stuck with a guy they likely never ice except to cover for injuries but get out a year earlier (except for the amount they eat).
I've proposed this more than once here.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Right now Seabrook is the better player bu by the time his contract is done he will be as bad as lucid at a more important position . A defensive mistake can cost you game . Not saying a winger can't make a mistake to cost games but a D is more likely to cost a team with mistakes .

Oilers can not afford the crap contracts they have now . They can not afford to take on a bad contract with a higher cap hit that runs longer even if the player is better . No from the Oilers . I am sure it is a no from Chicago as well .Chicago core player are still young enough to win again they just need a couple D upgrades and a few upgrades on their depth player . 3rd OA this years should help with that . Chicago passes as well

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The few times I seen Chicago this year Seabrook wasn't as bad as people make him out to be. Definitely over paid by 2-3M but still somewhat useful in a limited role

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Right now Seabrook is the better player bu by the time his contract is done he will be as bad as lucid at a more important position . A defensive mistake can cost you game . Not saying a winger can't make a mistake to cost games but a D is more likely to cost a team with mistakes .

Oilers can not afford the crap contracts they have now . They can not afford to take on a bad contract with a higher cap hit that runs longer even if the player is better . No from the Oilers . I am sure it is a no from Chicago as well .Chicago core player are still young enough to win again they just need a couple D upgrades and a few upgrades on their depth player . 3rd OA this years should help with that . Chicago passes as well

He wont make it to the end of the contract as they’ll use a compliance buyout on him

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The big differences between the two deals are the amount of real salary left and the details concerning a buyout prior to the expansion draft.

Seabrook has $28M in real dollars left. Lucic has $19M. Real money is what matters if you are going to try to shed either contract as you will need to use budget teams with plenty of cap space to help with the transaction.

Both players have NMC and no team is going to want to have to protect them in the expansion draft. So you have to be prepared to buy out the contract in the offseason of 2021. Lucic's deal is much more friendly in this respect.

The other problem from the Oilers perspective is that Seabrook's natural role going forward is 3rd pairing offensive defenseman. They have Bouchard, Bear and Persson all getting ready to compete hard for that role.

While I have always liked Seabrook as a player this deal makes little sense for the Oilers.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
seabrook would be a decent bottom pairing d. he wouldnt take a trade to edmonton. I would do it from chicagos standpoint if he did tho. just bury lucic on the 4th line pressbox. one less year of nonsense.

bubbaman

Nov 2, 2018
if the hawks sent Seabrook to the minors, would it still count against the salary cap?

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
seabrook would be a decent bottom pairing d. he wouldnt take a trade to edmonton. I would do it from chicagos standpoint if he did tho. just bury lucic on the 4th line pressbox. one less year of nonsense.
I know you (vs many others commenting here) actually watched the games. Chicago's turnaround coincided with Seabrook getting 10-15 minutes a night on the 1st pair (Gus got the rest). I think he spends the next 2 to 3 years as a decent 2nd pair guy and another 2 as a 3rd pairing. The last year is where he may not be even an NHL level D-man. Lucic is a poor 4th liner now.
The trade talent for talent is a major loss for Chicago. The cope with it by getting out 1 year sooner. Seabrook the quiet leader in the cup years does wonders for the development of the kids the Oilers have on the way (Keith still fills that role in Chicago).
I see it as a trade to help both teams. Chicago does eat a million a year to keep salary cap impacts even.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
He wont make it to the end of the contract as they’ll use a compliance buyout on him

You may be right . I am not here to pretend I know the inner workings of the Blackhawks management . I am just saying neither team does it for the reason listed . Again Lucic sucks and his contract is buy out proof . Our only hope is he gets his head straighten up and produces 30+ points next year . If he can do that we may be able to trade him in the summer of 2020 . He will owed 10 million over 3 years in real money but carry a cap hit of 6 million which may be appealing to a rebuilding team . Plus if we retain 1/3 to 1/2 its not so bad for a cap floor team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad