Lucas Raymond breakout season

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Isn’t he crazy good defensively too?

Not crazy good, but getting there. He's starting to get to a point where if hes in the corner battling for a puck, you kinda just assume hes coming out of the corner with it and hes starting to get a lot of those Datsyuk style takeaways. Hes playing on the PK and defending empty nets now as well.

I think its more hes just really competitive than anything. If you take a run at him, hes running you next shift. You take the puck from him he wants it back bad etc

Reactions: Sentinel

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
He might be that offensive game breaker that a lot of people didnt think the wings had in their rebuild. 21 years old with 30+ goals and 70+ points make me think theres 40 goal 90 point potential at his best, especially the way he started slow this year and has built as the year went on.

He was the best player from his draft class this season
And Stutzle has already reached that potential

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
And Raymond, with a year less experience, just had a better season than Stutzle. Goes to show how good Raymond has become
Stützle had a bad season and even still your premise is arguable. Either way, Jarvis had a better year than either of them.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Crazy to think like early this season I was seeing some Wings fans saying Raymond might not hit his ceiling of being a top line player (this might've been a minority opinion, but I definitely saw it). He's looked unreal this back half of the year.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Explain how Jarvis had a better season than Raymond?
2nd in goals, assists, points, +/- on arguably the best team in the league despite playing over a third of the season with Martinook, Staal, Noesen, Fast, Bunting, and Kotkaniemi; better defensive player, PKed more than any other forward in his draft year and had some of the best results in the league; is and was simply the better player.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
2nd in goals, assists, points, +/- on arguably the best team in the league despite playing half the season with Martinook & Staal; better defensive player, PKed more than any other forward in his draft year and had some of the best results in the league; is and was simply the better player.
1713364906778.png

More like 1/4 of the year. Spent way more time with Aho overall.

Think you could make a strong case for either of them.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
2nd in goals, assists, points, +/- on arguably the best team in the league despite playing over a third of the season with Martinook, Staal, Noesen, Fast, Bunting, and Kotkaniemi; better defensive player, PKed more than any other forward in his draft year and had some of the best results in the league; is and was simply the better player.
Fairpoint, but and I hate using this argument, look at the team he had compared to the Red Wings

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Stützle had a bad season and even still your premise is arguable. Either way, Jarvis had a better year than either of them.
I dont think its really arguable at all.

Raymond almost doubled Stutzles goal total, had 55 primary points to Stutzles 37, and did it playing 3.5 minutes less a game and almost a minute less on the PP per game. Theres no real way to argue Stutzle as having a better season unless you value secondary assists more than goals I guess

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Fairpoint, but and I hate using this argument, look at the team he had compared to the Red Wings
Sure, but the Wings had more guys with 60+ points (3 vs 2), as many 30+ goal scorers (2), as many 20+ goal scorers (4), and whereas Raymond spent basically his entire season playing with at least one guy (if not two) who hit those marks, Jarvis spent a significant portion of his season playing with depth guys - in fact, 1/3rd of his season was spent with line mates who had fewer points than him combined.

Raymond had an excellent season and will continue to improve but Jarvis does it all at a high level, even when played in a shutdown role. He's a special player imo. He belonged in that top group with Lafreniere, Byfield, Stützle, Raymond & Sanderson from day 1 imo.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I dont think its really arguable at all.

Raymond almost doubled Stutzles goal total, had 55 primary points to Stutzles 37, and did it playing 3.5 minutes less a game and almost a minute less on the PP per game. Theres no real way to argue Stutzle as having a better season unless you value secondary assists more than goals I guess
I'll give you this one. It would be more accurate (IMO) to say that the gap was not as significant as the stats suggest.

Reactions: newfy

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
A breakout year would be hovering around the 40 goal / 90 point mark. I think he'll get there. Possibly within the next two seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad