Prospect Info: Lucas Lessio (Re-Called)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Which is why handing out long term deals to bottom liners handcuffs you. There are always new ones that are better than the ones you roster or who can do the job for less.

the Byron contract seems a bit long but really he has 8 goals in 45 games. That's amazing for a 4th liner. A 4th liner with 10 goals all year is great and we haven't seem to have one in a long time. He's got close to that in a half season. I'm totally fine with the Byron contract.

Look at his last 3 seasons in the pros. He pro rates at about 30+ points. that's incredible 4th line production. he's still young too.

Now Flynn should've only got 1 year for sure. Byron's one of the best 4th liners we've had in awhile. We need offense everywhere we can get it. As long as he's like this year in year out I have no problem keeping him here long term.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Byron didn't get 8 goals on the fourth line. Played a significant amount of games with more ice time than Chucky.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Byron didn't get 8 goals on the fourth line. Played a significant amount of games with more ice time than Chucky.

From what I remember he didn't score much if at all when he was given top 6 ice time. He looked completely invisible on that line.

I could be wrong but most of his goals were short handed or when he was in the bottom 6.

Regardless look at his point totals with Calgary. Played 47 and 57 games and still got close to 20 points. Hell that's not even bad for a 3rd liner.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
From what I remember he didn't score much if at all when he was given top 6 ice time. He looked completely invisible on that line.

I could be wrong but most of his goals were short handed or when he was in the bottom 6.

Regardless look at his point totals with Calgary. Played 47 and 57 games and still got close to 20 points. Hell that's not even bad for a 3rd liner.
3 SHG I think he got one playing with patches as well.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
i'd rather make room for the kids then bring Flynn back imo. If it's between keeping Lessio or Flynn I'd keep Lessio no question.

I actually don't mind what I've seen out of DLR. he looks better than last season imo but still he could really benefit from staying in the AHL. Kind of at a loss as to why we seem to want to rush him.

I don't know why they wouldn't want a better look at the guy who's no longer waiver eligible as opposed to DLR who can still stay down in the AHL no problem.

I swear it's like MT gets mad when a supposed bottom 6er (or any young player really) gets offense on his mind. lessio gets some good chances is that one game, has some nice hits and then that's it. benched. He probably like DLR cuz he knows his role.

I want to win, I don't care how they do it, or who they do it with. So if any prospects/young players are to make the team, then they need to steal the job away from others. If DLR shows he's the best option then keep him, if not then send him to the AHL. If it's McCarron then great, if not then send him to the AHL.

Flynn over Lessio we'll have to see how they do. Lessio has the speed and size but it remains to be seen what he can do. He showed some things in the AHL but overall wasn't very impressive. I assume we end up carrying 14 forwards next year so we should have 2 spares, so we'll have to see how they do and what the roster looks like after preseason.

Which is why handing out long term deals to bottom liners handcuffs you. There are always new ones that are better than the ones you roster or who can do the job for less.

It hasn't handcuffed us yet and I doubt it does. You can easily send them down and they won't cost much against the cap for the ones making over 950K this year.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Really liked his game yesterday, definitely a huge upgrade over Thomas. Not sure if he has the offense to be anything more than a fourth liner, but if he keeps moving his feet he can be a solid bottom six guy.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
the Byron contract seems a bit long but really he has 8 goals in 45 games. That's amazing for a 4th liner. A 4th liner with 10 goals all year is great and we haven't seem to have one in a long time. He's got close to that in a half season. I'm totally fine with the Byron contract.

He's not a 4th liner though. He plays 13:38 minutes a game. He's 10th among forwards for the total TOI but he'll catch up Weise soon so he'll end the season as one of the 9 most used forwards. 8 goals for a borderline 3rd line player is nothing to write home about. Specially when he is shooting for 20%.

He plays a lot in PK but the thing is around 40% of his production comes from the pk. 37.5% of his goals come from the pk. 38.4% of his points come from the pk. That's imo not sustainable long term.

He is the 10th most used forward at ES. Again he'll catch up Weise soon so he'll finish the season as one of the 9 most used forwards at ES. His ES production is 5 goals and 8 points. That's actually kind of bad for someone playing 11:37 at ES every game. That's goon like production. In fact Shawn Thornton did better than that some seasons.

Until proved otherwise the next seasons Byron's season (the goals part) is a statistical fluke. His shooting % is way higher than normal. He's pk production too. He's been bad lately. He has 2 points (2 assists) -7 in his last 15 games despite playing mostly on the 2nd line with Plekenec. His TOI in the last 15 games is around 15 minutes.

We don't know what he will do while used purely on a 4th line (we will probably never know it with MT). A lot of his points and goals this season came from the pk. He wont continue to shot for 20% and produce so much in the pk. Other teams will adjust. His production at ES had been close to abyssal considering his usage. I really don't see what people see in this player. His production at ES is close to a goon. He plays more than a goon. Outside of the pk he's a black hole.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's not a 4th liner though. He plays 13:38 minutes a game. He's 10th among forwards for the total TOI but he'll catch up Weise soon so he'll end the season as one of the 9 most used forwards. 8 goals for a borderline 3rd line player is nothing to write home about. Specially when he is shooting for 20%.

He plays a lot in PK but the thing is around 40% of his production comes from the pk. 37.5% of his goals come from the pk. 38.4% of his points come from the pk. That's imo not sustainable long term.

He is the 10th most used forward at ES. Again he'll catch up Weise soon so he'll finish the season as one of the 9 most used forwards at ES. His ES production is 5 goals and 8 points. That's actually kind of bad for someone playing 11:37 at ES every game. That's goon like production. In fact Shawn Thornton did better than that some seasons.

Until proved otherwise the next seasons Byron's season (the goals part) is a statistical fluke. His shooting % is way higher than normal. He's pk production too. He's been bad lately. He has 2 points (2 assists) -7 in his last 15 games despite playing mostly on the 2nd line with Plekenec. His TOI in the last 15 games is around 15 minutes.

We don't know what he will do while used purely on a 4th line (we will probably never know it with MT). A lot of his points and goals this season came from the pk. He wont continue to shot for 20% and produce so much in the pk. Other teams will adjust. His production at ES had been close to abyssal considering his usage. I really don't see what people see in this player. His production at ES is close to a goon. He plays more than a goon. Outside of the pk he's a black hole.

This year though the roster has had injury problems and we don't know what the roster is going to look like next year. If they bring in some top 6 help, that could push Byron to the 4th line.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
This year though the roster has had injury problems and we don't know what the roster is going to look like next year. If they bring in some top 6 help, that could push Byron to the 4th line.

I agree. I just don't have any faith in MT. Also Byron needs to do better at 5 on 5 even as a 4th liner. Like i said some goons are able to score 5 ES goals and do around 10 ES points on a 4th line. If you are 5'9 you got to do better than that. You need to have something more than goons able to play hockey. He'll need to do what he does this season (around 8 goals and 15 points) but while playing less and while probably relying less on pk production as other teams will adjust to his speed. I don't remember the last time he had a break away so either the other teams already adjusted or he's tired (it's his first full season). If he wants to have a long career he needs to find a way to exploit his speed at 5 on 5. It's one thing to do it on pk where there's lot of space and nobody waiting for you at the center of the ice. It's another thing to do it at 5 on 5 in tight areas with over 6 foots players waiting for you behind the blue line. He's not been able to do that so far this season.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I agree. I just don't have any faith in MT. Also Byron needs to do better at 5 on 5 even as a 4th liner. Like i said some goons are able to score 5 ES goals and do around 10 ES points on a 4th line. If you are 5'9 you got to do better than that. You need to have something more than goons able to play hockey. He'll need to do what he does this season (around 8 goals and 15 points) but while playing less and while probably relying less on pk production as other teams will adjust to his speed. I don't remember the last time he had a break away so either the other teams already adjusted or he's tired (it's his first full season). If he wants to have a long career he needs to find a way to exploit his speed at 5 on 5. It's one thing to do it on pk where there's lot of space and nobody waiting for you at the center of the ice. It's another thing to do it at 5 on 5 in tight areas with over 6 foots players waiting for you behind the blue line. He's not been able to do that so far this season.

I don't mind if he does less at EV but puts up numbers on the PK, as around 8-10 goals and 12-15 pts would be good enough to me if he's mostly on the 4th line.

I do wonder if they would consider using him with Lessio since the NHL is such a speed game now and both have it in spades. Maybe put Danault as their center and that line would fly out there.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don't mind if he does less at EV but puts up numbers on the PK, as around 8-10 goals and 12-15 pts would be good enough to me if he's mostly on the 4th line.

He's currently top 5 in the league in pk production (both goals and points). As long as he can keep this production in pk you're right he's fine. Wont be easy though he's in good company with guys like Toew, Marchand and Benn.

I do wonder if they would consider using him with Lessio since the NHL is such a speed game now and both have it in spades. Maybe put Danault as their center and that line would fly out there.

Could be an interesting 4th line as long as Mitchell, DLR/Matteau and Flynn are not playing on the 3rd :P

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's currently top 5 in the league in pk production (both goals and points). As long as he can keep this production in pk you're right he's fine. Wont be easy though he's in good company with guys like Toew, Marchand and Benn.

Could be an interesting 4th line as long as Mitchell and Flynn are not playing on the 3rd :P

Would depend on how much they upgrade the roster + injuries. If we don't upgrade the roster and have another season like this one with so many injuries then it could happen where you see Mitchell or Flynn on the 3rd line but it would likely mean our season is in the gutter once again anyway.

boompuffboom

Jul 10, 2007
i like Lessio. Fire-belly with good instincts.

he could develop into *open flame umbrella* something close to lucic. maybe?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
You have to love Therrien comments about Lessio "up and down moments" from yesterday. I guess that it makes him the beset player from yesterday as everybody else had down and down moments....

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You have to love Therrien comments about Lessio "up and down moments" from yesterday. I guess that it makes him the beset player from yesterday as everybody else had down and down moments....

I heard his quote at the post-game presser. He commented on Lessio on account of being specifically asked about him. He softened the blow by adding that he's like any other young player.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Pretty ideal 4th liner imo (in the new, fight-less NHL).

I like him far more than Flynn and Matteau.

Lessio-Mitchell-Martin for next year :yo:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I heard his quote at the post-game presser. He commented on Lessio on account of being specifically asked about him. He softened the blow by adding that he's like any other young player.

I know he did. Yet...I don't care. He still was amongst our best player. Knowing that he won't be responding to any other questions about specific players, he had to demonstrate that Lessio, again, showed better things than everybody else out there. Obviously not the way it sounded.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I'm not willing to concede anything to anyone for next year.
The only thing I can take from these games is that Chucky can score when given time and space.
That's it...

well thats definitely your opinion but 6"3 with super speed and scored 29 goals in the AHL

PLUS what he shown these passed couple games

he better be on the team next year, 23, so he's NHL ready, he's not 20 like mccarron and DLr who need a bit more seasoning

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I know he did. Yet...I don't care. He still was amongst our best player. Knowing that he won't be responding to any other questions about specific players, he had to demonstrate that Lessio, again, showed better things than everybody else out there. Obviously not the way it sounded.

Are you sure you don't care? Is what Therrien says all that important? Reliable? Truthful? ;)

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
I like Lessio, with McCarron and Matteau yesterday it was interesting to watch and try to project what it could become. I don't remember a line in Montréal with such combination of size, speed and toughness. Add DeLaRose, Danault and Scherbak to that, plus veterans Pacioretty, Eller and Galchenyuk. Our days as a small team will be over soon.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
well thats definitely your opinion but 6"3 with super speed and scored 29 goals in the AHL

PLUS what he shown these passed couple games

he better be on the team next year, 23, so he's NHL ready, he's not 20 like mccarron and DLr who need a bit more seasoning

Don't get me wrong I like the size and the speed unfortunately the finish hasn't been there so far.
Reminds me of a Chad Kilger type skillset maybe a little bit tougher?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Don't get me wrong I like the size and the speed unfortunately the finish hasn't been there so far.
Reminds me of a Chad Kilger type skillset maybe a little bit tougher?

Kilger might actually be a decent comp for him, not sure if he's tougher but maybe more points if you pro rate for the lower offense we are in these past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad