Proposal: Luca Sbisa to Ottawa

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
I'm afraid that he played bad in game 6 and was heavily involved in a few goals, but if he can find consistency then he will be valuable. He seems to play really well at home and feed off of the home crowd, so I would defintely give him more time in the home games in the playoffs

This is not a time to trade him, I believe he can become more consistent over time.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
I think he's a small step ahead of the three of them.

The coach doesn't like Wiercioch - either that or he doesn;t trust him. idk.
Phillips is definitely a lock in our top 6, but he's lost a step.
Gryba is your prototypical 7th Dman that can play bottom pairing if there are injuries.

Not sure what you mean prototypical. Had some of the better numbers on the team, PK, QOC, +_. What are you using as a standard?

Italian President

Aug 13, 2012
take him for free. He's a really bad player and I don't see him being better. Ever shift he plays is a shift away from Sami Vatanen, a much better player.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
He sucks defensively, takes tons of penalties and barely scores points.

Just, truly bad. You'd really rather he get minutes over Vatanen or Lindholm?

Why don't you tell us what Sami has done to deserve playing ahead of him? Sami's defense is no better and probably worse as well as the fact that his offense doesn't make up for his defense. Oh and Sami can't remotely play the physical game Sbisa does. But go ahead and tell me how great he was in the Olympics and in Finland. Then remind me where the coach sent him when the NHL playoffs started.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
He sucks defensively, takes tons of penalties and barely scores points.

Just, truly bad. You'd really rather he get minutes over Vatanen or Lindholm?

I'll take that as a "no" to my question because Vatanen is in no way better defensively then Sbisa and he doesnt get minutes over Lindholm, ever.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
Sbisa is fine. If this team can survive Beauch turning into a flub machine, Sbisa will look like a star.

Sbisa has too much upside to be worthless. And a long, meaningless regular season of 80 games healthy can do wonders for a fairly young dman.

Vatanen... you cant help but pull for the guy. I want him flourishing. But as I watched Fowler struggle to put any body on Benn last series, I worry about what an even smaller, softer dman would be doing in these playoffs.

Vats can succeed in this league, but he is going to be a knuckleballer in a fastball league. He is going to have to find his own unique ways of playing defense effectivelly.

duxfan8

Sep 13, 2011
South Bay
Sbisa has been surprisingly good, IMO, during the playoffs. He was a bit more invisible in game 6, but he was pounding guys, moving the puck well and wasn't getting out of position as he usually would. Against LA, I'd expect a similar lineup as the Dallas series. Rough, tough and hard to play against.

Italian President

Aug 13, 2012
Why don't you tell us what Sami has done to deserve playing ahead of him? Sami's defense is no better and probably worse as well as the fact that his offense doesn't make up for his defense. Oh and Sami can't remotely play the physical game Sbisa does. But go ahead and tell me how great he was in the Olympics and in Finland. Then remind me where the coach sent him when the NHL playoffs started.

Sami has a Fenwick of 52%, meaning that the Ducks take 52% more shots than the other team when he's on the ice. That's the highest out of any player on the team.

Sbisa is one of the worst players in the NHL. I'm serious.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Sami has a Fenwick of 52%, meaning that the Ducks take 52% more shots than the other team when he's on the ice. That's the highest out of any player on the team.

Actually a Fenwick of 52% means they take 52% of the total shots, so they take 4% more of the total shots. Which is like 8.3% more shots.

And Sbisa has been playing on the mid-pairing, and having some successful games mixed in with his bonehead maneuvers. He is FAR from one of the worst players in the NHL. That would be reserved for someone who can't even play effectively on the third pairing, or John Scott.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Really? This? You've got the whole Italian government to help you out and this is the best you can do? :laugh:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This season Sbisa took a few more minor penalties than he normally would but last year he only took 9 minors in 41 games, the year before he took 18 in 80 games and the year before that he took 9 in 68 games.

I think you're just throwing out random statements without using any sort of evidence to back them up. Vatanen has not shown he can defend and eat minutes at the same rate that Sbisa has so far in his career.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

That isn't what it means at all, and there's a reason when Sami is on the ice the team puts more shots on net. It has to do with the situations Sami is put on the ice for, to begin with. If a player is put on the ice, primarily, in desirable offensive situations, that's exactly what the stats will show.

Don't mistake Sami's role with him dictating the play in that fashion. Those stats show that Boudreau shelters Sami, and tries to get him on the ice in favorable conditions.

And Sbisa isn't even close to one of the worst players. Defensively, he's certainly better than Vatanen right now, and capable of handling more defensive responsibilities. Sbisa certainly has his faults, but as a defenseman I absolutely trust him to be able to play a less sheltered role, and play more minutes, than what Sami has shown. I don't know what the future holds, but right now? I have no problem right now with Sbisa getting the minutes instead of Sami. If Sami can prove himself the better defenseman, then that will change. As it is, I think some of that also comes down to the opposing team, because I think Sbisa is a better choice against some teams, and Sami is against others. Lindholm doesn't belong in this discussion, because Sbisa wouldn't be taking his minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad