Confirmed with Link: Luca Sbisa. 1 year $800,000.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Better hope Samberg is ready for a top 4 role right off the bat.

Yeah we really need a top flight guy, which I don't expect us to get in UFA... short that can play as a 2-3 and maybe take a bigger role when needed due to injury.

We have about 6 bottom pair guys, 2 guys in the 2-3 range and a #4 in Demelo IMO.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
I just don’t see both rookies starting this year. That seems overly optimistic honestly
I would agree that we’re unlikely to see both in the regular lineup. My concern is that Maurice would rather Sbisa in the lineup than either of them. Would love the be proven wrong when the season starts.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I just don’t see both rookies starting this year. That seems overly optimistic honestly

Yeah that wasn't going to happen on a Mauroce dcore. This team is still clearly trying to win with the Stastney acquisition. Also as per Chevy they are still looking at upgrading the dcore so imo one of the two will have the opportunity to break in on the third pairing.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm good with this... expected it really...

The least damaging of the lot who were brought in...

The team likes him... Chevy obviously does...

1 year... meh... all good... depth peice...

It confirms they are being cautious about Sanheim and Heine'....

Dull'strom's 800 g's is gone... and...

Everyone has forgotten Potatoe' is now in New York... all good...

tenor.gif

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Lots of injuries remember? Still think they add another D to force him down and think Samberg forces him down too.
Like I said, I’ll be thrilled if the season starts and I’m proven wrong, I’m just skeptical that if given the choice that Maurice will play Samberg over Sbisa. Especially now that we’re down an additional veteran in Kulikov.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Lots of injuries remember? Still think they add another D to force him down and think Samberg forces him down too.
And Samberg is not some kid. He’s 22 in Jan, physically matured and nhl ready. He will surprise people in camp. Sbisa is an 8 hopefully if they add one more.

Reactions: SLAYER
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
He played 44 games last season...

Can you name a defensemen who was injured for 10 games or more last season?

Morrissey missed 17, Pionk 11, Kulikov 31, Byfuglien was a no show, Demelo wasn't added for the final 10 games.

Right now he's 6th on a depth chart that doesn't include Samberg or Heinola with another signing hopefully to come.

This is a fine 7-8 signing.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Can you name a defensemen who was injured for 10 games or more last season?

Morrissey missed 17, Pionk 11, Kulikov 31, Byfuglien was a no show, Demelo wasn't added for the final 10 games.

Right now he's 6th on a depth chart that doesn't include Samberg or Heinola with another signing hopefully to come.

This is a fine 7-8 signing.
And yet, Stecher and Keokkeok are still on the market, will not get more than Sbisa and Beaulieu combined and actually produce positive results on the ice.

If you think Sbisa doesn’t get inserted into the lineup over Samberg or Heinola for at least a third of the games this season, I have a bridge to sell you.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
And yet, Stecher and Keokkeok are still on the market, will not get more than Sbisa and Beaulieu combined and actually produce positive results on the ice.

If you think Sbisa doesn’t get inserted into the lineup over Samberg or Heinola for at least a third of the games this season, I have a bridge to sell you.

With a healthy line up you’re simply wrong.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Why does Chevy sign garbage players on day 1 of free agency? He does it every year. He ties up salary with the easiest players to replace. It's incompetence. There is no reason for it.

Reactions: Bigfish and AKAChip

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Hot take: I hate this.

Normally, I try to to complain about who we don't sign, because you never know what was offered, or how a player feels about playing in Winnipeg.

However, this year it's safe to say there will be better players available for the same or even less money. There will be better defensemen unemployed next season, guaranteed.

Just feels like a missed opportunity.

Reactions: Bigfish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad