LT's Two-Year GM Game - Discussion

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
LT's Two-Year GM Game - Discussion Thread​

Forum Rules
Please remember that all forum rules (found here) apply within this thread and any other affiliated with this game. I want to have fun as much as anyone else in this game, but if I need to step in as a moderator, I will. Flaming will not be tolerated, nor will offensive content. Please do not insult other posters or subject them to harassment or abuse. Also, please keep your posts PG-13. I understand that we're all familiar with each other and that we are all, for the most part, mature enough to handle adult jokes, but they're plain and simple not allowed here. I know you guys know the drill, so I hope this won't be of any issue. :)

Game Rules
Now, on to the rules that you've all been eagerly waiting for.
This game will have the unique aspect of lasting for two NHL seasons (in our game, not in reality) as opposed to normal games, which only last for one. This will obviously create some interesting "features", such as expansion, which will be explained thoroughly in these rules.
Now, to dive right into it... The game will commence with a team draft. Each GM will draft two NHL teams, and will have full control over these two NHL teams. These teams will be combined, as well, as with other team drafts we've done before. So essentially, you're merging two teams. The draft order for this will be randomized and will be a snake draft, so whoever drafts first will also draft last, second drafts second to last, and so on. Team picks cannot be traded. Sorry, you're stuck with what you get. You'll have two years to fix up your team, which should be ample time for you to be happy with your roster. Also, please note that 2016 draftees are a part of their current rosters. If you pick the Leafs, you get Auston Matthews, for instance. Keep this in mind when drafting.
After the team draft, there will still be some amount of teams (eight as of now) that went undrafted. We'll have a short dispersal draft (I'm thinking just two rounds, actually, but there's a chance for more) to disperse these teams. The plan is to have both of these drafts done within two days, as neither should take very long.
After this, things will commence like normal. You'll have a period to trade amongst yourselves and decide which direction you're going, as usual. There will be free agency for UFAs and RFAs in the 2016 offseason. I'll be the agent for this. We'll then have a standings vote to decide who makes the Stanley Cup Playoffs and the Rebuilder's Cup Playoffs. The top six teams will make the SCP, and the bottom four teams will make the RCP. One team will not make either set of playoffs. From there, playoff match-ups and voting will commence as normal, with the Finals votes being taken to the Polls board.
The 2017 NHL Entry Draft will occur after the standings vote, but before match-up votes. It will likely go very quickly, so be sure to be around or send in a list. There will be two rounds.
This is where things begin to get interesting... There will be an expansion team. This team will be managed by myself. This expansion team is guaranteed the third overall pick in the 2017 Entry Draft, so whoever it voted third last will actually pick fourth, and everyone below will move one slot down. There will also be an expansion draft once the match-up voting has been completed. Each team will be allowed to protect eight players (four forwards, two defenders, one goaltender, and a flexible protection slot). Everyone else will be exposed, and this expansion team will be allowed to select two players from each team. After the expansion draft, this team will be just like any other. Free agency will also occur at this point, for the 2017 offseason.
We'll then have another period for trading and free agency, after which we'll have our second round of voting. Voting will work the same way as before, but with two teams not making either set of playoffs instead of one. Once this voting has ended, the game will then be over.

Frequently Asked Questions
Will I (LT) have two teams - one from the team draft, and one from the expansion draft?
Nope, just the expansion team. I won't be a part of the game (besides commissioning) for the first season.

What's the salary cap?
Going to start it at 85M. Will consider bumping it up to 90M, depending on how the cap situations look.

How long is the clock for the drafts?
30 minutes for Round 1, 15 for any respective rounds. This shouldn't take long. Send a list if you can't make it.

Please PM me with any questions. I'll post them and the answer here if they're general enough.

Important Dates
Date | Occasion
June 29th | Game Begins
June 29th, 7 PM CST | Team Draft
June 30th, 7 PM CST | Dispersal Draft
July 1st | Trading, Free Agency Open
July 5th | Trade Deadline, Voting Begins
July 6th | Standings Posted, Entry Draft
July 6th | Match-up Voting Begins
July 7th | Protected Players Due, Expansion Draft
July 7th | Trading, Free Agency Open
July 11th | Trade Deadline, Voting Begins
July 11th | Standings Posted, Match-up Voting Begins

General Managers and Team Assignments
Click on the General Manager name for a direct link to send a PM
Click on the Team Names for a direct link to their roster post

Various Game Threads

League Chatzy - http://us21.chatzy.com/55066067056846

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Checked In - 13
  • LatvianTwist
  • JonnyGraz
  • peskypenguin4
  • Tryamkin
  • HeungMinSon
  • VanIslander
  • Dabeast
  • FlamesFreak4
  • Scholarships
  • K2B
  • donut
  • PaulBissonnette
  • NYR84

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Here's evidence I've read the rules.;)

Flaming will not be tolerated, nor will offensive content. Please do not insult other posters or subject them to harassment or abuse. Also, please keep your posts PG-13. I understand that we're all familiar with each other and that we are all, for the most part, mature enough to handle adult jokes, but they're plain and simple not allowed here.
They're for chatzy.;)

2016 draftees are a part of their current rosters. If you pick the Leafs, you get Auston Matthews, for instance. Keep this in mind when drafting.
Nice.

After the team draft, there will still be some amount of teams (eight as of now) that went undrafted. We'll have a short dispersal draft (I'm thinking just two rounds, actually, but there's a chance for more) to disperse these teams.
Three rounds would be nice. Some GMs might miss the draft, some will load up on prospects, some could forfeit their third pick.

The plan is to have both of these drafts done within two days, as neither should take very long.
Indeed. 5-10 minutes per pick, 14 teams, no prob.

There will be free agency for UFAs and RFAs in the 2016 offseason. I'll be the agent for this.
When exactly will be the decider as to what assets we have? Whatever the organization had at the end of the draft? July 1st? NHL teams made a few trades post-draft. Do they count?

We'll then have a standings vote to decide who makes the Stanley Cup Playoffs and the Rebuilder's Cup Playoffs. The top six teams will make the SCP, and the bottom four teams will make the RCP. One team will not make either set of playoffs.
But there are 14 teams, not 11 now, aren't there? Does that mean four teams make neither playoffs?

There will be an expansion team. This team will be managed by myself.
:( Lucky guy.

This expansion team is guaranteed the third overall pick in the 2017 Entry Draft, so whoever it voted third last will actually pick fourth, and everyone below will move one slot down. There will also be an expansion draft once the match-up voting has been completed. Each team will be allowed to protect eight players (four forwards, two defenders, one goaltender, and a flexible protection slot). Everyone else will be exposed, and this expansion team will be allowed to select two players from each team. After the expansion draft, this team will be just like any other. Free agency will also occur at this point, for the 2017 offseason.
Got it.

June 29th | Game Begins
June 29th | Team Draft
June 30th | Dispersal Draft
Marked on my calendar.

Looking forward to it.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Whomever chooses the Habs gets Shaw's 6-year $3.9 million contract announced this week?

The easiest cut-off: everything before June 29th counts, draft day.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Whomever chooses the Habs gets Shaw's 6-year $3.9 million contract announced this week?

The easiest cut-off: everything before June 29th counts, draft day.

Yes.

June 29th is the cutoff.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Waiting on FF4 and PB to check in. Then I'll get the team draft thread up and the game can begin. The clock won't start until tomorrow, though.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Alright, I've received some kind of confirmation from everyone now.

Team draft thread is up - K2B is free to pick, but the clock won't start until tomorrow evening.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
yea i suck

Tomorrow evening. Let's say 7:00 PM CST?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad