LT's GM Game Version 1.0 - Thread 2 (Trade Deadline Wednesday, Noon EST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
So I know most of you have played plenty of these games before, as you're pretty much all regulars, but this game is gonna have a LOT of changes from the last ones, so I'd highly recommend reading the entire OP. I'll walk you guys through everything from start to finish, hopefully answering any questions you might have about how this game will go down and how everything will work. So without further ado, let's begin.

We're going to assume that this game takes place starting today, after the 2013 Entry Draft and after the free agent frenzy (yes, I know there are still some good FAs still out there, those players will be addressed). By now, most teams know how they're going to look going into the 2013-2014 season, and we'll be using those rosters to start this game. That means MacKinnon will be on Colorado, Barkov on Florida, all the FAs that have signed so far will be on those respective teams at that actual cap hit. All trades, signings, and picks up to the post where I declare trading to be open will apply in this game, which means that even signings and trades in between this OP and trading being open apply. If the team you picked is hotly rumored to be moving a player you want to keep, you might want to reconsider. It's just something else to take into consideration when taking a team that adds a bit more strategy to the game.

Teams have been assigned randomly, and there will only be 20 GM spots available to start. Yes, only 20. 10 teams will go unattended throughout the 2013-2014 season. You cannot trade with these teams, nor will they be counted in the voting process. They won't come into play until the 2014 offseason. You can do just about anything you want with the team you're given, outside of a select few (Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Boston, and Chicago cannot rebuild the first season). Obviously, any trade that I deem to be too lopsided in one team's favor will be vetoed. Any trade conducted that doesn't follow the generic rules (sending your trade in to myself, the commissioner, or getting a NTC waived) will also be vetoed. Also, a new rule I'm implementing that'll make it easier to find trades is that when you're posting the trade, you must include both team logos in the post. Not an attachment or a photo either, the one that HF has implemented:

:stars

If you need to look up how to use those icons, click "Go Advanced", "More Smilies", and they're all down at the bottom. It's not that hard to do, and it makes everyone's lives much easier when looking back through trades.

As for lopsided, veto-able trades, it will be entirely at my discretion. And unlike previous games, both GMs will be punished if it occurs multiple times. Yes, both the winner and the loser will be punished. The loser obviously shouldn't be making such a lopsided deal in the first place, and the winner should know that the trade is likely to get vetoed and adjust accordingly. You'll all have 3 strikes - that means if you have 3 trades vetoed due to value (or if they're vetoed excessively due to other things), you're done as a GM in this game. You'll be replaced instantly, ***** at me all you want. I'll let most trades slide, only the truly awful ones or ones that are complained about by multiple GMs will be considered for vetoing. But just be aware that any one-sided deal can be vetoed, and that it will hurt you in the long run.

Now, onto the actual game play. I'll be the FA agent for the rest of the 2013 offseason. Any RFAs that are still un-signed will have exclusive negotiating rights with their current team. You'll get 5 offers on each RFA you have. The player will take the deal that they see as fair. If you fail to give him the value he wants within 5 offers, he'll become a UFA and any team can put in an offer. Any UFAs can be offered on by any GM at any point in the offseason until they are signed, again, with myself as their agent. There aren't many still around, so this shouldn't be too crucial of a part of the game just yet.

Once trading is opened, you can trade with any of the 20 teams that have been taken, as long as both GMs are okay with the deal. Please try and keep offers private through PM, as it helps add more strategy and an aura of mystery to the game. Any player that has a NTC must get said player's NTC waived by filling out this form:

Current Team -
New Team -
Player -
Reasoning -

And sending it to all 5 of our NTC commissioners; The Produce Man, BigBenSF, Datsyuk Dangles, CoachBadKitten, and myself, LatvianTwist. Once 3 of us waive the NTC, then the trade can be posted in the thread and confirmed.

Once a trade is made, you must send me, the trade commissioner, a copy of the trade. A simple "X Receives this, Y Receives that" will do. Any trade that I see posted in the thread that I do not have in my inbox will be vetoed and must be reworked with at least one significant piece added (no, 3rd-7th rounders and <7.0C prospects do not count, so don't ask). If it has a NTC, don't send it to me or post it until you've followed the procedure above. If you fail to do so, the trade will be vetoed and has to be reworked.

Once the 2013-2014 trading session is closed, voting will begin. I'll need you all to send me a list of all 20 teams, ranked in order from what you think is the best to worst, and I'll tally the votes from there. 12 teams will make the playoffs, 4 will not. From there, the playoffs will play out like they do in the NFL - 3 vs. 6, 4 vs. 5, with 1 and 2 getting byes. 1 will then play the lowest seed that moved on with 2 taking the other and from there it's the same Conference Finals on out. As for the Rebuilder's Cup champion, that will be determined through a mini-series of the 8 teams that failed to make the playoffs. You'll be voting for the team with the best future there instead of simply the best team, however.

Once those two cups have been decided, we'll continue on to the 2014 Offseason, the best and most unique part of this game.

Free Agency
Any player who is set to be a UFA or RFA in 2014 will become one. The team that possesses these players will get exclusive negotiating rights, however. For UFAs, the previous team will have 1 offer before any other team - if that offer is not accepted, then the player becomes a UFA. You'll also have a certain deadline to get that offer in, at this point all un-signed UFAs are free for any teams to offer upon. To make it simple and keep the work down for the UFA commissioners, we're just going to consider money and NTCs. Term and all that other stuff won't have any kind of factor in FA signings. It's whoever offers the most money, and if two teams offer the same amount, who's willing to offer a NTC or not. RFAs will be treated the exact same way, but instead of 1 offer before they become a UFA, you get 5, and they will have a much later deadline than UFAs.

Entry Draft
This is probably the easiest part to understand. We'll have 1 round of 20 picks, with the worst team in the standings getting the 1st overall, 2nd worst getting 2nd overall, and so on. Any players eligible for the 2014 Entry Draft can be picked here. CBK will be running this and once we get close, he'll get the thread up that goes into more detail about how things will work. 2014 1st Round picks can be traded any time up until Draft Day.

Dispersal Draft
Here's the interesting twist to this game - the Dispersal Draft. There are 10 teams that don't have GMs - they've been eliminated from the game up until this point. Any player who has met rookie status from these 10 teams will be eligible to be drafted in the dispersal draft. The order will be the same as the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, the mirror of the 2013 standings. It will be a snake draft. It will last 4 rounds, and any player not selected will be out of the game for good - they will not be eligible to be picked or signed in any way. These picks can not be traded until the clock has started - no, you cannot trade your 1st round dispersal draft pick in the middle of the 2013 season. There will also be a 2nd Dispersal Draft, this one containing all players who have yet to meet rookie status in the NHL (so any prospects from these teams). This draft will be 2 or 3 rounds depending on who's still around. These picks cannot be traded until the clock begins either. I'll go more in depth about the rules once the thread for both drafts is up.

The 2014-2015 season will play out exactly like the 2013-2014 season. You'll have anywhere from 1-2 weeks to make trades and better your team, and afterwards we'll do voting again to award another Stanley Cup and another Rebuilder's Cup. Also, new to this season, will be the Produce Cup - these votes will be sent in separately. You'll send in a list of the 3 GMs who you believe did the best job throughout the entire game. They don't have to win any cups, but simply have done the best job with their team.

One of the most important aspects of this game is the cap. For the 2013-2014 season, the cap will be what it's always at - 64.3M. Once the Cups have been awarded for that season, the cap will jump up to 75M in order to incorporate new players from the dispersal draft and the inflation due to FA. If it is found that you've gone over the cap at any point in this game, you'll have 24 hours from the point you went over to fix it. If you fail to do so, whatever move caused you to go over will be vetoed and you'll be removed as a GM. So do not go over the cap at any point please.

Also, one key thing - REBUILDERS CANNOT REBUILD TWICE. You can rebuild in either the 1st or 2nd season, but not both. If this were perfect, we'd have 10 rebuilders and 10 contenders and they'd swap each season, but that obviously won't happen. There shouldn't be more than a few rebuilders (anywhere from 3-7 each season), so to keep the Rebuilder's Cup fair, you cannot rebuild twice.

As for waivers, you'll have an unlimited amount of waivers throughout both seasons. When you waive a player, other teams have 24 hours to claim this player - it's first come, first serve. The team that claims said player will be responsible for 100% of the cap. If they are not claimed, they go to the AHL and are basically obsolete in this game. Trying to keep this part simple, the new CBA has some rather confusing rules as to how waivers works.

One other rule I forgot to put in here:

If you fail to do one of these:
- post in this thread about anything (trade block, a trade, comments about a trade, etc.)
- PM me (whether with an offer or just to reset your clock)
- show up in chatzy (link will be posted at the conclusion of DD's game)

For 48 consecutive hours, you'll receive one strike. After this, you have another 24 hours to check in. If you fail to do so, you'll be removed as a GM and replaced. This really shouldn't be hard to do at all - if you're going to be gone for 48+ hours, PM me beforehand with a legitimate reason as to why you'll be gone, or you simply have to check in for a minute, post something, and you're good to go. I'm going to be monitoring this closely - I want this game to be as active as possible. Just talking trades through PMs is not going to be acceptable in this game as it has been in previous games. I want everyone involved and for the game to be quite active for a majority of the day.

There obviously will be a few exceptions to this rule, but do not count on you being one of them. Stay active and there will not be a problem.

Four new or adjusted rules:

- Dispersal draft will be a snake draft instead of a normal draft. Still will be determined based off of previous season standings however.

- Pittsburgh, Boston, Chicago, and Los Angeles cannot rebuild the 1st season. They're fair game the 2nd season though.

- You can only rebuild once in this game. Either the 1st or 2nd season, but not both. There will most likely be fewer rebuilders than contenders, so this is to keep it fair for rebuilders in their attempt to win the Rebuilder's Cup.

- Playoffs will now be 12 teams, NFL style. This is so as to prevent any rebuilders from getting put into the playoffs and to not guarantee that contenders will make it. Makes more sense to bump the proportion down as we lost 1/3 of the league.

I know I didn't cover everything, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask me!

Commissioners
League Commissioner
- LatvianTwist
Assistant Commissioners
- Datsyuk Dangles
- donghabs98
2013/14 FA Commissioner
- LatvianTwist
Trade Commissioner
- LatvianTwist
NTC Commissioners
- LatvianTwist
- CoachBadKitten
- The Produce Man
- Datsyuk Dangles
- BigBenSF
2014/15 FA Commissioners
- LatvianTwist (RFA)
- West Coast Bias (UFA)
2014 Entry Draft Commissioner
- CoachBadKitten
Dispersal Draft Commissioner
- LatvianTwist

Teams
GM | Team
DonutLee | Washington Capitals
West Coast Bias | Tampa Bay Lightning
Lilina | Winnipeg Jets
Datsyuk Dangles | New York Rangers
HankTheTankYoLo | Colorado Avalanche
The Produce Man | Vancouver Canucks
Gootie | Detroit Red Wings
NoahH57 | Carolina Hurricanes
sunsoutgunsout | Montreal Canadiens
Kesler2Burrows | New Jersey Devils
PriceIsGod | Minnesota Wild
CoachBadKitten | Nashville Predators
JI123 | St. Louis Blues
Thee GM | Philadelphia Flyers
Habsfannick | Toronto Maple Leafs
BigBenSF | Anaheim Ducks
JayP812 | Buffalo Sabres
LatvianTwist | New York Islanders
87and71 | Pittsburgh Penguins
KesselLooksLikeRadar | Calgary Flames

Last edited:

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
To :wild
Andrej Meszaros 30% Retained year one only.

To :flyers
Jay Harrison

Needs more deal (im updateing roster i AM under cap by like 700k :))

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
According to LT He lets me remove Mark Burish's buyout from IRL (900 something thousand) Which allows me to make this deal:

Sami Salo 50% Retain year 1 only

To :bolts
Paul Postma (yes it sucks)
Dowell

FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.538m) / Mikko Koivu ($6.750m) / Alexander Semin ($3.500m—50.0%)
Charlie Coyle ($0.975m) / Brad Richards ($3.333m—50.0%) / Jason Pominville ($4.505m)
Brendan Morrow ($2.500m) / Derek Roy ($2.000m—50.0%) / Kyle Brodziak ($2.833m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Matt Halischuk ($0.650m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.538m) / Dan Girardi ($1.663m—50.0%)
John Carlson ($3.967m) / Andrew MacDonald ($0.550m)
Andrej Meszaros ($2.800m—30.0%) / Sami Salo ($1.875m—50.0%)
GOALTENDERS
Niklas Backstrom ($3.417m)
Anton Khudobin ($0.800m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (5.832% of upper limit)
Dany Heatley ($3.750m—50.0%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,894,201; BONUSES: $75,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $480,799

West Coast Bias*

According to LT He lets me remove Mark Burish's buyout from IRL (900 something thousand) Which allows me to make this deal:

Sami Salo (50% Retain)

To :bolts
Paul Postma (yes it sucks)
Jake Dowell

Bolts confirm. Glad to get a couple interesting players for dead weight on the verge of free agency.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I need votes for standings ASAP. I want this **** done soon.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Conference 1 | Conference 2
Washington | Winnipeg
Tampa Bay | Colorado
New York R. | Vancouver
New York I. | Detroit
Carolina | Minnesota
Montreal | Nashville
New Jersey | St. Louis
Philadelphia | Anaheim
Pittsburgh | Calgary
Buffalo | Toronto

Send me your votes!

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Conference 1 is ultra weak the Devils may be able to make the playoffs.

:devils

Lupul-Stastny-Clowe
Brunner-Henrique-Downie
Etem-Zubrus-Kulemin
Reaves-Loktionov-Mueller

Larsson-Greene
Fayne-Gorges
Liles-Weaver

Schneider
Allen

Aela*

i'll post my updated roster tomorrow.

can we still sign FA out of curiosity?

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Patrik Elias ($2.750m—50.0%) / David Backes ($4.500m) / Alex Ovechkin ($4.769m—50.0%)
Patrik Berglund ($3.250m) / T.J. Oshie ($4.175m) / Chris Stewart ($4.150m)
Sean Bergenheim ($1.375m—50.0%) / Dave Bolland ($1.688m—50.0%) / Danny Cleary ($2.500m)
Vladimir Sobotka ($1.300m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Steve Bernier ($0.775m)
Keith Aucoin ($0.625m) / Chris Porter ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m) / Kevin Shattenkirk ($4.250m)Alex Pietrangelo ($6.550m)
Roman Polak ($2.750m) / Kevin Shattenkirk ($4.250m)
Jordan Leopold ($2.250m) / Marek Zidlicky ($2.000m—50.0%)
GOALTENDERS
Jaroslav Halak ($3.750m)
Brian Elliott ($1.800m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,261,731; BONUSES: $1,000,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,038,269

VOTE :blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad