LT's Auction Game - Discussion

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
1692328617888.png

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Thoughts so far:

(1) Entering the game, I was willing to be cavalier with my bids. 2.5m for Cousins and 4.5m for Roy were lol, but I now see that this game's margins are such that I have tied up enough cap that I will lose out on targets here or there by sums as small as a 0.3m.

(2) I still can't believe Hellebuyck went for 11.2m while Saros went for 8.2m and Sorokin 10.0m. I bid 10.0m on Hellebuyck believing it to be a wild overpay to secure my meme goalie, and still got beat handily.

(3) Inflation for excellent players is higher than I anticipated even with the (a) increased cap limit, and (b) absence of ELC contracts. Josi got $14m, Jack Hughes $18m, and McDavid will probably get over $40m today.

(4) I thought that I would have an easier time securing my higher end meme targets, but a harder time securing my lower end meme targets. Nope. I've been underbidding the former and overbidding the latter as I was behind the game dynamic that polarizes player value.

Last edited:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
For me it's been cool to see people learn and adjust from the last auction game, this one is much more sane/logical in general. One thing Panda and others who plan out full rosters will learn is that in auctions you'll always get into trouble if you're targeting specific players, once in awhile it will work out but the majority of the time you'll end up frustrated when 1 or 2 of your targets goes for a higher dollar amount than expected..

The beauty of the auction drafts is that timing is everything and unlike in snake drafts you can't just look at the last draft board and assume roughly the same draft plays out. You can take 1 player and put him up for bid on day 1 in one draft and then put the same player up for bid on day 8 in another draft with the same cap and same amount of teams and his salary could be like 20%+ different.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I was expecting some heartbreak going into this due to my strategy. I was aware entering the first day that I am at a disadvantage trying to select specific players rather than player types due to the lack of flexibility, which in turn means that the chances of pulling off a steal of a deal (e.g. Saros) are dramatically reduced.

Reactions: m0pe

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Fwiw I did the first auction with a "shotgun" strategy, and this one more selective

Its a different type of fun, but I'm enjoying this strategy a bit more. Bids have more importance when you have a limited list of players. Getting value is difficult bit rewarding

Vs shotgun I feel like value would come more easily, but without targetting specific players there's a risk of overcrowding the roster, or simply having a random team.

I guess the best way is a mix of both, to be adaptable. A list of players to keep bids impactful, but also long enough to be able to spin to a better value if things don't go well at first.

I love auction style.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad