LT & Gecklund's Auction Game v3 - Rules & Discussion

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Rules
- Each day a grouping of players will be released around 8pm EST. You will have 24 hours to PM me your offers for each player (nothing else besides the highest money matters). Each player will sign to the highest bidder at the end of the 24 hours, at which time the next grouping will be released.

- There will be 10 days worth of bidding for each GM to build their 20 man roster (12F, 6D, 2G), followed by voting. Each day will have on average 2 players per team.

- The objective is to build the best team for the 2023-24 season.

- Salary cap: 100M

- You can bid on as many players as you want but you are stuck with whoever you bid highest on.

- Minimum bid: 1M

- Bids must be made in 0.1M increments

- You cannot decrease a bid once it has been submitted.

- Players who receive no bids will be temporarily removed from the game. They may be made available after all initial days of bidding are complete.

- If you bid on too many players and are over the cap, you are allowed to drop anyone you want in the end. HOWEVER, 75% of the contract for the player you dropped will remain on your payroll, so don't just bid on everyone and think you can just dump whoever you want conveniently later. You can only drop a maximum of THREE players.

- Ties: In the event of a tied bid, I will ask each person involved in the tie what is the maximum bid they are willing to do. Whoever re-bids higher will get the player. Each person in the re-bid will have the 24 hours to re-bid on that player, but the player will sign as soon as all people involved reply. If neither person involved in the tie bid is willing to up their offer at all, I will flip a coin.

NOTE: Not every player in the NHL will be available in this draft - since we aren't operating with a full 32 teams here and want to create competitive bidding and cap management. Pretty well every top-6 F, top-4 D or starting goalie will be available, but there will be a lot of the middle of the roster type of players that won't be.

*all rules are subject to change*
*my discretion will be used as needed*

Shoutout to m0pe for drafting the original ruleset!

Reactions: McDoused and m0pe

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Bidding will be submitted via a Google Form. Each day will have a new form. The link will be posted in the Bidding Thread.

It will look like this:
1708292077139.png

PLEASE FILL IT OUT EXACTLY AS SHOWN BELOW:
1708292112342.png

If not, I will have to go in and manually edit your submitted bid so that the Google Sheet can process your bids properly. Multiple instances of ignoring this format may result in cap penalties.

Reactions: Iwishihadaspacebar

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Each GM will receive via PM a code-word to verify that it is indeed that GM bidding.

DO NOT SHARE YOUR CODE WORD.

Please copy and paste it directly into the form each time you submit a bid.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
If someone goes full Simple Jack one day and spends $200M are all those players just dead? Or is there a cutoff by bid amount or player name?

Like if I’m at 10 players and on day 6 and I win 20 more bids on players and have a cap of $180M with a roster of 30, what happens to the players I won? I feel like there should be a cutoff just so a day isn’t wasted for the other 20 GM’s while an idiot blows up his team.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
If someone goes full Simple Jack one day and spends $200M are all those players just dead? Or is there a cutoff by bid amount or player name?

Like if I’m at 10 players and on day 6 and I win 20 more bids on players and have a cap of $180M with a roster of 30, what happens to the players I won? I feel like there should be a cutoff just so a day isn’t wasted for the other 20 GM’s while an idiot blows up his team.
This feels very targeted towards guys who had to buy guys out in Day 1

• Haha
Reactions: Nucker101

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Good questions.

There will be a cutoff - you cannot have more than 20 players at a time. The order of the cutoff is determined simply by the largest bid they place that day.

For example, a GM has 19 players and submits a bid for a new day. The player with the largest cap hit they get is the only player they get. If there are multiple wins at the same cap hit, it will be based on the form order (which is randomized).

The only way for this GM to be able to win more players is by buying out current roster players. And the order matters here - in the prior example, they can't buy someone out while winning bids are being announced and then get their second highest win as well.

As for if they end up with 12 F, 6 D, and 2 G - there is no filter in place to prevent this. All GMs MUST have 2 goalies, but as for F and D, I don't care. 13/5 and 11/7 are viable configurations. Anymore than that and I think the hits they'd take from voting are enough of a deterrent as is without necessitating anything more strict.

There is NO prevention for going over the cap. If I feel like a GM is just trying to hijack the game by bidding up on players knowing they will go over the cap, I reserve the right to throw out that set of bids.

This should prevent any major game-breaking attempts (e.g. someone bidding 20M on every superstar to prevent others from getting them). But that will be handled on a case-by-case basis and hasn't really been a problem in the past.

• Love
Reactions: Nucker101

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Good questions.

There will be a cutoff - you cannot have more than 20 players at a time. The order of the cutoff is determined simply by the largest bid they place that day.

For example, a GM has 19 players and submits a bid for a new day. The player with the largest cap hit they get is the only player they get. If there are multiple wins at the same cap hit, it will be based on the form order (which is randomized).

The only way for this GM to be able to win more players is by buying out current roster players. And the order matters here - in the prior example, they can't buy someone out while winning bids are being announced and then get their second highest win as well.

As for if they end up with 12 F, 6 D, and 2 G - there is no filter in place to prevent this. All GMs MUST have 2 goalies, but as for F and D, I don't care. 13/5 and 11/7 are viable configurations. Anymore than that and I think the hits they'd take from voting are enough of a deterrent as is without necessitating anything more strict.

There is NO prevention for going over the cap. If I feel like a GM is just trying to hijack the game by bidding up on players knowing they will go over the cap, I reserve the right to throw out that set of bids.

This should prevent any major game-breaking attempts (e.g. someone bidding 20M on every superstar to prevent others from getting them). But that will be handled on a case-by-case basis and hasn't really been a problem in the past.

Ahem. Me hijacking the last game:

Reactions: hockeynorth

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Sorry maybe I wasn't clear, that list of teams is what is gone

I can make a list of available teams shortly
Doh apologies, I was half asleep at that point.

And I may have caused chaos and submitted bids under Buffalo.....

I'll take CAR (and drive myself off a cliff).

If it helps, I send my bids about 5-10 minutes after my post saying I'll be Buffalo

Last edited:
Reactions: LT

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
With that in mind, all my players from yesterday are available for free, see my roster in the roster thread and DM me if interested.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
:nucks:stars

Erik Cernak for future considerations

:nucks:canes

Mattias Ekholm for future considerations

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Trading is allowed.

No retaining salary and no trading cap space.

Players can be traded for future considerations.

All trades are subject to approval by LT and Gecky. Any deal that we both agree is unfair will be vetoed and undone.
I CAN VETO?!? Be prepared for the smallest amount of power to go to someone’s head ever.
:nucks:bolts

Tyler Toffoli for future considerations
Veto.
:nucks:stars

Erik Cernak for future considerations

:nucks:canes

Mattias Ekholm for future considerations
Veto AND VETO.

These will be unvetoed when Nuck gives me MacKinnon in fantasy hockey so I can build the Avs stack.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Also if any of the new people are interested, we have a discord where we talk hockey and also talk about the drafts we run here. DM if you want to join.

• Haha
Reactions: Scholarships and LT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad