Equipment: Lowest-profile (but still protective) shoulder pads?

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
The velcro's starting to give out on my current shoulder pads, and since I've been debating switching them out for a while now, this is my excuse to start looking. My question is, what is the best currently available make/model of shoulder pads that have a low profile, but are still actually protective? I know some guys just remove the shoulder caps, but I get hit into the glass just enough that I'm not comfortable doing that. And I know there's that "vintage" set that I think CCM makes that artificially looks like the pads from the 80s, but I also don't think I'd wanna take a puck to the chest with those. ;)

But whatever I end up getting, I want the lowest-profile possible, since I'm short enough that some brands, my cage actually catches on the shoulders, and others I can't even look over my shoulder at all.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The velcro's starting to give out on my current shoulder pads, and since I've been debating switching them out for a while now, this is my excuse to start looking. My question is, what is the best currently available make/model of shoulder pads that have a low profile, but are still actually protective? I know some guys just remove the shoulder caps, but I get hit into the glass just enough that I'm not comfortable doing that. And I know there's that "vintage" set that I think CCM makes that artificially looks like the pads from the 80s, but I also don't think I'd wanna take a puck to the chest with those. ;)

But whatever I end up getting, I want the lowest-profile possible, since I'm short enough that some brands, my cage actually catches on the shoulders, and others I can't even look over my shoulder at all.

The CCM Jetspeed FT1 line of shoulder pads are the lowest profile CCM pad. I have the previous gen Quicklite QLTs and they are low profile and light while being very protective. (I love them). I tried on the top of the line FT1s just for fun and they were even more comfortable.

If you like the Bauer stuff the Vapor line is your best bet for a low profile shoulder pad. (I prefer the CCM stuff).

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Like the poster above said, Vapor Line from Bauer and JetSpeed Line from CCM are designed for tapered fits and put mobility/maneuverability above protection. Generally built for smaller and slimmer guys like yourself.

From there, it will depend on your price point and what features you are looking for in terms of what model you pick from those lines.

Vapor 1x Lites are the lightest ones on the market but run $200.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad