Lowe's ego: Killing the team since before 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
I remember that too! Completely forgot about it until you mentioned it. But for that 09-10 team the coach was Quinn and he had a real hard on for playing big coke machines more than skilled players (Gagner 4th line, JF 1st line). Like wow :laugh:

rough times. rough friggen times

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
The Lowe must Go facebook group rounded up 5k for a full page ad in Friday's edition of the Edmonton Sun.

This is what it will look like:

MyLuVAJ.jpg

Board Gordon

Light Up The World
Jun 13, 2014
I hope that's not the final draft. "aquality". The 3rd paragraph is horrible.
Maybe I'm an ass but that could read a lot better.

- Fan of wanting Lowe fired

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I doubt the Perry thing was all on Lowe. It's more than likely an EIG issue, and to a greater extent the poverty of the team. The Canadian dollar was lower then, and there was no salary cap. It's the GM's job to be the bad guy in these situations. It's rare that info gets out about an owner making decisions.

A really rich team can easily toss around millions like it means nothing and makes transactions a lot easier for a GM

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
That his arrogance got in the way of doing his job. Anaheim was the preferred destination for Comrie because his dad lived down there (not to mention weather, etc.), Lowe knew this and tried to use it as leverage to get him to pay back some of his bonus money that he ransomed out of the Oil years earlier (.threatening to go back in the draft). The deal was all but done, but Lowe backed out just to screw him over. In doing so, Lowe:

- lost out on the better prospect (Perry vs Woywitka).

- lost out on the better pick (not that you can project exactly where it will land, but Philly was a top 5 team the year before, definitely the better team).

- burned his first of many bridges with other GM's (Murray said he'd never do business with him again).

Good enough reason?

And woywitka was involved in the Pronger trade... so would we even have kept Perry or would he be a st.louis blue right now? Hard to say.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Lowe was saved from his biggest disaster by Buffalo when they elected to match the Vanek offer.

Or perhaps his biggest disaster was hiring Tambourini - or maybe it was hiring MacT - or maybe Howsen - or maybe the nepotism that built the Oiler scouting staff - or ..... Damn, we could discuss this for years! Kinda like we've been discussing this for years! :shakehead

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
Lowe was saved from his biggest disaster by Buffalo when they elected to match the Vanek offer.

Or perhaps his biggest disaster was hiring Tambourini - or maybe it was hiring MacT - or maybe Howsen - or maybe the nepotism that built the Oiler scouting staff - or ..... Damn, we could discuss this for years! Kinda like we've been discussing this for years! :shakehead

Part of me wishes they hadn't matched that vanek offer sheet.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I think a lot of people overestimate just how much input/influence Lowe currently has with the team.

That letter implies that Lowe is still building the team, and that they can't believe in the team as long as Lowe is part of the organization. There's a disconnect there, because I don't think Lowe does what they think he does.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I think a lot of people overestimate just how much input/influence Lowe currently has with the team.

That letter implies that Lowe is still building the team, and that they can't believe in the team as long as Lowe is part of the organization. There's a disconnect there, because I don't think Lowe does what they think he does.

Who hired MacT without an interview process?

KLowe being in the room means the Oiler foundation will be rooted in Nepotism. Every person in management or scouting is there because of him.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Who hired MacT without an interview process?

KLowe being in the room means the Oiler foundation will be rooted in Nepotism. Every person in management or scouting is there because of him.

Sounds to me that Katz likes MacTavish quite a bit. How are we sure it was Lowe's decision?

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
That ad is actually really good. I was worried it would get too caught up in specifics which none of us can agree on anyway. Kept the message simple and tried to be clear it wasn't personal, just overdue

VanCanFanEDM

Mar 22, 2004
Edmonton
total side note.. but as a guy who places a lot of ads in the Sun you should only be paying around $1200 for a full page ad in the Sun.

just thought id mention it... get 4 ads with that 5k

The Lowe must Go facebook group rounded up 5k for a full page ad in Friday's edition of the Edmonton Sun.

This is what it will look like:

MyLuVAJ.jpg

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
total side note.. but as a guy who places a lot of ads in the Sun you should only be paying around $1200 for a full page ad in the Sun.

just thought id mention it... get 4 ads with that 5k

That's because the Sun is a lesser product, written for a lesser audience, read by less people.

Just thought I'd mention it...

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
There are plenty of threads to talk about Lowe's failings with the team. A new thread started for something that happened over a decade ago isn't needed. Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad